Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It requires a smartphone. Think Pandora integration with smartphones, only with Aha instead.
So you would load the app on your iPhone (or android), organize what material you want to stream and then link your phone to the Aha enable radio to choose your audio from those choices. The iPhone would use its data connection to stream the program to your radio by bluetooth (?).

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I did load the app into my iPhone 5 and played Aha content on my HK using Bluetooth. It works just like pandora on my phone. There is no information on the HK display while doing this, not even the song name. I suspect that the Aha-enabled system does much more, like letting you select and control Aha content without touching the phone and displaying details about the music or other content, much like is the case with an iPod. Just guess though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
I did load the app into my iPhone 5 and played Aha content on my HK using Bluetooth. It works just like pandora on my phone. There is no information on the HK display while doing this, not even the song name. I suspect that the Aha-enabled system does much more, like letting you select and control Aha content without touching the phone and displaying details about the music or other content, much like is the case with an iPod. Just guess though.
Exactly this.

Aha Radio in the Subaru BRZ hands-on (video)

·
Registered
2013 White Outback 2.5 Special Appearance Package
57 Posts
I think all 13 Outback owners should be able to exchange their current horrible navigation systems for one of the new navi's equipped w/ Aha and hopefully updated and less problematic systems than the current one's.

I can't stand this navi system. It's dated and I prefer to use my android phone which is sad. I only got the Navi due to the SAP.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Does anyone know if this is just a software update for our 2013 HK Nav Outbacks or new hardware? If the latter, I'm kind of pissed! Took delivery of my '13 2.5 SAP a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if this is just a software update for our 2013 HK Nav Outbacks or new hardware? If the latter, I'm kind of pissed! Took delivery of my '13 2.5 SAP a few weeks ago.
I think that's it's hardware as the Aha is listed as a its own trim package:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking on the Subaru Research Page at cars101.com shows that the Aha was an addition/replacement to the moonroof/nav package on 1/20/13 and raised the cost by $100.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
I would think its the SAME head unit, but you can reFLASH the system using the SD card SLOT ?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
the part people aren't thinking about. Network access providers are moving to data plans vs unlimited data. So as cool as this stuff is - most people will find they do not want to run these data intensive services on their data plan. A case where the tech has out paced the services.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
the part people aren't thinking about. Network access providers are moving to data plans vs unlimited data. So as cool as this stuff is - most people will find they do not want to run these data intensive services on their data plan. A case where the tech has out paced the services.
I'd agree here, although audio isn't how you burn GBs of data per month. Say I listen to 128kbps audio streamed over 3G, for 4 hours a day (2 hour commute each way). After 30 days of this, I've used ~105MB, plus maybe 10% for overhead. So call it 120MB.

In the US, the main data plans start at around 1GB per month. Being a fairly heavy user of something like this isn't gonna trash your data plan. Especially if some of the streams are offered in 96kbps for talk radio. It might if you listen 8 hours a day over 3G and don't have wifi access anywhere you are (~250MB/month). But video is the real way you destroy a data plan and rack up overages. Some websites are worse for your bandwidth than streamed audio.

I would think its the SAME head unit, but you can reFLASH the system using the SD card SLOT ?
It is a different head unit. It's a 6" touchscreen Double-DIN versus the 7" touchscreen larger-than-Double-DIN monster in the existing vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts