Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outback 2006 4EAT 2.5i H4

I did not read the code (26, 29, etc) yet.

Last summer, the Air bag light on the cluster panel (red) was showing up once in a while with the Passenger Air bag indicator getting wrong readings. I tapped the overhead console where the map lights are and the Pass Air bag indicator flicked.

I resoldered all the electronics on the overhead console PCB with new solder. Air bag light would still come up sometimes. In december, when it started to get below 0°C , I went to the dealer to get thr Air bag recall done.

Since then, the Air bag light is always showing on the cluster. I reviewed the overhead console PCB agqin and everything is good. Now the Pass Air bag status is working properly. When I sit on the passenger seat, it changes status.

If I start the car while sitting in the passenger seat, Pass Air bag indicator shows ON, then after a minute, it turns OFF and Air bag light shows up in the cluster. I tried to wiggle the cables underneath the passenger seat, no effect on Pass Air bag status.

I believe it's related to :
A - temperature
B - mayber driver seat
C - maybe something wrong with the SRS module
D - Dealer did not replug everything correctly after replacing the bags.

Anything I should try before bringing it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,253 Posts
It seems there may be a connection issue somewhere. Since you fixed the upper console board, that leaves everything else. Getting the codes list would be beneficial.

There has been an issue with the connectors for the driver and passenger belts. I don't know why the dealer tech would disconnect the passenger seat for the passenger air bag, but they've done other oddball things. I don't understand why they would roll your car out with an air bag light on either. Did they at least give you an option to repair another issue? Tell you there was something else wrong?

You can disconnect the battery and wait a couple minutes then pull the door sill trim and check the connectors there, unplug and reconnect; same with the seat. You don't have to worry about erasing codes from the air bag module with a battery disconnect, they are retained in memory.

Here's a wiring diagram. When you pull the codes and post them I can be more specific.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been an issue with the connectors for the driver and passenger belts. I don't know why the dealer tech would disconnect the passenger seat for the passenger air bag, but they've done other oddball things. I don't understand why they would roll your car out with an air bag light on either. Did they at least give you an option to repair another issue? Tell you there was something else wrong?
I find it odd indeed since I told them there was an Air bag light on before they worked on it. They said nothing and the car was out just before closing time so I left. But as I said, it takes about a minute before the light comes up so my guess is the tech didn't get to see it. If I can't fix it, I'll call them and try to get it fixed as a trouble caused by the recall procedure.

I'll give it a shot at disconnecting and reconnecting all the yellow connectors I can find (A pillar, seats) and see if anything improves. I know I can get the code by grounding a particular pin on the Air bag Module but I'm a bit reluctant because grounding the wrong pin can result in a short circuit. I'd have to drive two hours to get the code pulled by the dealer.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
16,253 Posts
I don't know of a way to "flash" codes by jumping any pins. To get ECM, TCM and ABS, there's a "handshake" method, but not the Air Bag/SRS.

No shops around you that do full engine repair? Snap On, Autel MaxiDas and a couple others will read the SRS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know of a way to "flash" codes by jumping any pins. To get ECM, TCM and ABS, there's a "handshake" method, but not the Air Bag/SRS.

No shops around you that do full engine repair? Snap On, Autel MaxiDas and a couple others will read the SRS.
One more chapter in the odd story of the Air Bag Light..
I scanned for Air Bag DTCs with a Snap-On Solus scanner that I borrowed to a friend. He told me he could read the Air Bag codes in his 2005 Outback. The scanner indeed read something, apparently 3 codes, but they were "Undocumented Codes" :
  • 40100401H/107 4791425
  • 40100302H/107 4791170
  • 40100120H/107 4790688

Then, a few days later, something happened. If I start the car while both me and a passenger seated, the Pass Air Bag indicator reads ON and the red AIr Bag light doesn't come up in the cluster. I tried a couple more times, and this only works when we're both seated when I start the car. If I start the car with me only (driver) and passenger gets in a minute later, the Air Bag light comes up and Pass Air Bag indicator reads OFF (because Air bag gets an error and is deactivated).

Does that ring any bell? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,253 Posts
The following are the codes that will set for the SRS module.

I believe this may be an example of the Snap On scanner's inability to communicate, or your friend didn't have it set proper. I don't use a Solus. It's over-rated and cost too much for the little it does.

Given what you describe, and depending on whether the passenger seat belt was used in either of the different cases, the starting point is to recheck all the yellow connectors under the passenger seat and at the belt and buckle.

Code 29 (Did you check fuse 25?)

This pretty much points to a bad connection, a problem in the harness or the ODS which coincides with what you posted in "testing" the light.

Unless or until the codes can be pulled, it's guesswork. Seat, belt, buckle, harness, connector, bad grounds, fuse,......

Can your friend's Solus see SRS Live Data? Does the module see the seat sensor, belt buckled y/n, etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your input.

I don't have the scanner anymore but I will try to find another one locally that reads SRS. I will reconnect everything on passenger side but I just wanted to let you know I tried something else this morning and I can tell you it appears to be related to the passenger belt somehow. When I start the car with the passenger belt buckled, and no one in passenger seat, the Air Bag light doesn't come up. It seems the trouble is not getting triggered. That explains why with a passenger in the car the Air Bag light wasn't triggered. The belt was buckled. Also, the Pass Air Bag indicator is reading correctly OFF (no passenger).

If the passenger's belt buckle circuit is open (bad switch), it wouldn't make a difference when I buckle it. Neither if it's in permanent closed.

Maybe not realated, but I also noticed that while driving, if I unbuckle the driver's seat belt at +30km/h, no warning chime comes up and no seat belt warning light. I'm pretty sure I was getting those before.
However when I turn the ignition ON, it does chime 6 times if the driver's belt is unbuckled and doesn't when it's buckled. So the switch must be working.

I'll let you know when I get the codes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update on this issue. Back in February something happened.

Little recap :
  • Air bag light comes up on the cluster after ~2 min runtime (no passenger seated).
  • Overhead console fixed. Passenger Air bag indicator detects a passenger properly. When I sit on the passenger seat, it changes status. The passenger seat belt indicator is also working properly.
  • Disconnecting the battery doesn't fix the problem.
  • If I start the car with the passenger seat belt plugged in (fastened), NO Air bag light shows up in the cluster!

PASSENGER BELT BUCKLE
FASTENED ✔ Good
NOT FASTENED ❌ Error

Test :
I removed the passenger seat and reseated every connector underneath. I also sprayed all the pins with contact cleaner.
Then BAM, I fixed it. Or so I thought until yesterday.

Yesterday I got a CEL for a catalytic performance error. I read the code with a Bluedriver Bluetooth scanner tool and right after that, the Air bag light issue came back!!
I cleared the CEL code and disconnected the battery for 10 min. It didn't fix the Air bag light. I removed the passenger seat and reseated everything as I did in February. It didn't fix the issue this time. Note : the Bluedriver doesn't read the SRS module.

Here's the theory :
- The passenger seat belt circuit is triggering the Air bag control module. When the seat belt is plugged in, with OR without passenger, the error is not happening.
It's a switch. If it was stuck open OR if it was stuck closed, plugging in the belt buckle wouldn't change it's status, thus it has to be working otherwise I would get an Air bag light no matter what. Besides, when I seat in the passenger seat, the passenger seat belt indicator in the overhead console shows proper status when I plug or unplug the belt buckle.

- I'm not sure but according to the above schematic, there is a pretensioner switch circuit also. Pulling the belt, I suppose, would change the pretensioner status. So I tried pulling the belt and locking it pulled, without plugging the buckle, to see if that resolves the Air bag light. It didn't resolve the issue. Air bag light comes up after 2 mins. Also, plugging the DRIVER belt buckle in the passenger belt switch (passenger pretensioner in its resting state) resolves the Air bag light issue. I'm pretty sure the pretensioner is not involved.

Therefore I ruled out the pretensioner + belt circuit combination error. That leaves only that belt buckle switch, which is apparently working o_O

PASSENGER SEAT STATUSPASSENGER BELT BUCKLE STATUSPASSENGER PRETENSIONER STATUSAIR BAG LIGHT ERROR STATUSOVERHEAD CONSOLE
No passengerUnpluggedRestingErrorPass Air bag OFF
No passengerPlugged inRestingGoodPass Air Bag OFF
No passengerPlugged inPulledGoodPass Air Bag OFF
PassengerUnpluggedRestingErrorPass Air Bag ON, Pass seat belt indicator ON (then after 2 mins, Pass Air bag OFF error state)
PassengerPlugged inPulledGoodPass Air Bag ON, Pass seat belt indicator OFF

·
Premium Member
16,253 Posts
With the onset of a P0420, I'd be looking at grounding then module function.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the onset of a P0420, I'd be looking at grounding then module function.
I'm pretty sure it was caused by burnt oil drips on the exhaust manifold. I have a significant oil leak and will be replacing the head gaskets in a week or two.

·
Premium Member
16,253 Posts
If oil is on the sensor, clean it off and if there's an issue it'll pop up inside 100 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts