Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 CVT Outback Premium with 5000 miles. Driving to Arizona and my wife notes that the Passenger Airbag Warning System shows that it is OFF. No problem, except that I am in the passenger seat and weigh considerably more than the minimum, about 150 lbs. This warning system stays in the off position for a number of minutes, even though we are going 70 mph. Then I take my weight off the seat and it still registers OFF. After another couple of minutes, the Air Bag system switches and registers ON. Has anyone had this happen? It might have been that it was happening before with others passengers, but I just did not notice it, but it seems like a serious issue that needs to be addressed. After this incident, it has not done it again, so far.

Also, is there a way to defeat the OFF position?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
409 Posts
I believe its been discussed that if you're sitting in just the right way, the airbag sensor might not detect you, maybe you were slouched down in the seat. If it is consistently happening, definitely take it back to the dealer to look at.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
Rarely have a passenger in my OB.

Is there anykind of seatbelt 'interlock' on the passenger seat?

I know it makes a **** of a racket if the passenger doesn't buckle up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 and have a similar issues. Many times the passenger airbag is off, or intermittently comes on and off. I've taken it back once and they said they re-calibrated it, but it's still happening. I'm planning to take it back again. I've seen other sites where people have complained about this. Seems like a faulty design to me.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
NHTSA would love to hear of airbag malfunctions.
File an online complaint, it might generate a recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts