Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 outback 2.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back again with a new problem.
My air conditioner is not coming on when I turn it on after starting the car. It has been kicking in after a few minutes.
This just started yesterday.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Only help I can give is my ability to search for answers to things :) and so I found this:
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2003Q1/11337.html
Which you will see as being very generalized to your situation, it being a different vehicle and all.

I've only added refrigerant/oil charges to all my cars/trucks in the past and luckily never had a problem (so far) that ever needed repairs on the A/C.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Lea...

are you saying that it used to come on after a few min but now not at all, or that it's now taking a few min to come on? also, does the dash blower fan part of the assy work and just no cold air, or do you get no air at all? finally, does the a/c buttonlight up when you push it in?

for sudden absence of cold air, 1st place i'd look is the fuse. A/c unit uses a drive pulley that just spins freely until power is applied to this electromagnet assy inside the pulley area; when it's "on", electromagnetic "clutch" locks the pulley to the shaft of the compressor so the pulley causes the compressor shaft to turn. if you don't have power to the mag. clutch, it will not spin the comp shaft and thus no cool air. have a freind turn on the a/c while you listen under the hood for a "click" noise fromcompressor as friend switches a/c on and off. if you hear it, this isn't your problem as the clicking nnoise is the electromagnet engaging. this may not be it at all but is a common failure area.

give us more symptoms and we'll give you more crackpot suggestions....:D

·
Registered
2001 outback 2.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what happens. When I start the car, I turn on the fan and push in the ac button. The light is on, but it blows air that is not cool. About five minutes down the road, the air turns cold.
I had more 8 oz. of freon put in Wedn. afternoon and afterwards I kept hearing this noise that sounded like someone blowing air over the top of a glass bottle.
I called the Subaru dealership and talked to the service dept. The guy there said it sounded like a vacuum leak. ( whatever that is)
We live about 2 hours from where we bought the car and I hate to take the time off work to go there to have it fixed. I am wondering if this is something that a nonSubaru mechanic can repair.

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened to my car . I have my02 outback and my car would make a fog horn sound every time the compressor kicked on . My dealer said that the expansion valve was bad and replaced it . AC now works much better then before. Still not the best ac system .

Mike South jersey:5: :D

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
thanks fer addtl info. symptoms seem to eliminate stuff i mentioned. and IMHO, yes, this is something a competent auto a/c shop can deal with just fine. note i said "competent". state license is beginnning but ASE certification in A/C is good thing to look for.

·
Registered
2001 outback 2.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I'll let you know what happens when I get the car into a shop next week.
Lea

·
Registered
2001 outback 2.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my car back today. The expansion valve was bad just like Mike said it might be. Also, the dryer and relay switch had to be replaced. With labor and everything I was charged $380.00. The mechanic had to call a Subaru dealer and have the parts shipped.
The air works great and seems colder than ever.
Thanks for the replies.
Lea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts