Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New user here previously owning a Camry I transferred from Toyota nation all the way from here. I now own an outback and I really do like it. But when I bought the car I noticed something different about the ducts connecting to the actual airbox. The bolts are rusted and I have to get them out. I have power tools so I'm sure I can simply drill them out. The real question is do you guys know the size of the bolt so I can go to ACE hardware and get a machine bolt equivalent? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
Subaru labels it as an intake duct bolt pn (901000186)
I can't tell you how many outbacks I've seen with both of these bolts broken. If the duct is connected to the inner fender snorkel, the duct cannot go anywhere when the hood is lowered because the weatherstripping on the hood holds it in place.
If you are going to replace it in kind, my guess would be M6 X 1.0 X 10mm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subaru labels it as an intake duct bolt pn (901000186)
I can't tell you how many outbacks I've seen with both of these bolts broken. If the duct is connected to the inner fender snorkel, the duct cannot go anywhere when the hood is lowered because the weatherstripping on the hood holds it in place.
If you are going to replace it in kind, my guess would be M6 X 1.0 X 10mm.
Yeah at my work I've seen Gen 2s with their bolts completely intact. I'm going to Ace hardware today for the part. That's where I got my IAC bolts because I stripped the factory ones. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Later years use plastic two-piece push-pin rivets. No rusting or seizing. Should be able to find a couple that fit. Many auto parts and hardware stores carry a selection. (I believe Lowes as well.) My 07 uses this one:
If Ace doesn't have the bolt I'll just do that conversion and switch to plastic pieces.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
If Ace doesn't have the bolt I'll just do that conversion and switch to plastic pieces.
It's just a simple metric bolt, 8-1.25, they should have it no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just a simple metric bolt, 8-1.25, they should have it no problem.
Ace does have the bolt, bought 2 bolts for $2.50. Felt good but drilling them out is the problem, it seems as if I'm barely making a dent in these rusted bolts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody recommend specific drill bits to drill out rusted bolts?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Dewalt black oxide at Home Depot, or if you have a Fastenal, then they will sell a higher quaility even. I use them for stainless.

Finally...most important...us a lubricant and drill slow rpm...SLOW, get a good peal going.

So do you plan on drilling to threads and tapping?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dewalt black oxide at Home Depot, or if you have a Fastenal, then they will sell a higher quaility even. I use them for stainless.

Finally...most important...us a lubricant and drill slow rpm...SLOW, get a good peal going.

So do you plan on drilling to threads and tapping?
I've never done this before so this is all new to me. In my toolbox I found this random drill bit and started drilling slowly with WD-40 as a lubricant. Any suggestions or I'm drilling all wrong??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts