Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why there aren't any threads on this, maybe I am missing something. I got 26k on my outback and haven't changed the airfilter. Was contemplating upgrading to K&N

2) Will it interfere with computer/sensors/performance
3) Will it void the warranty

For those that have the K&N please chime in. Is it worth to do it? Better performance? Better mileage??? Anyone?!?!?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
There are several threads for intakes, performance filters, K&Ns etc.

The short version: No, maybe & no. An over-oiled filter element can foul a MAF sensor. A clean filter is better than a dirty filter, and nobody in a Subaru ever got a K&N to pay for itself vs. stock. They still look cool.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It will not add any performance at all, and it will likely let more small particles through. Whether those tiny particles do much harm is up for debate.

I have used them in the past. I do not use them anymore, because the MAF sensors tended to get dirty when the filters got more that a couple cleanings behind them. So, I do not consider them effective, long term. The paper stockers are guaranteed to stop dirt, and the K&Ns are not as permanent as advertised. Your money, your choice.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
There are probably a dozen threads on this.

But:

No.
Maybe.
No.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Why are you even considering one. More performance or mileage?
Absolutely no to either. Maybe on a racing engine that runs on full out redline rpm's.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys. Thanks for the help. I tried searching, but btw the search function capability and the slow website, i was unable to fin dany threads.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I will pursue a regular paper filter. Dealer told me to change mine every 15k, this true, lol it looks like a way overshot it

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ok guys. Thanks for the help. I tried searching, but btw the search function capability and the slow website, i was unable to fin dany threads.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I will pursue a regular paper filter. Dealer told me to change mine every 15k, this true, lol it looks like a way overshot it
15k for the cabin filter, 30k for the engine air filter. I changed mine at 25k, and it wasn't in bad shape. I changed the cabin filter at 15k......It was pretty bad. I live in NM where it is dusty.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird, maybe she was confused. She was telling me 15k for the cabin filter (didn't change yet- looks ok still) and the air filter for the engine

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have the K&N and the only thing you gain is knowing you are not throwing something in the trash every 15k miles. If you live in/drive in dusty conditions and want to use one you might want to consider a pre-filter or another brand of washable filter.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
**Before reading please note that there is no place that has more BS on any automotive forum than a K&N air filter thread, so take my statements at face value**

All the K&N will do is allow more dirt thru your engine.

Modern FI systems meter the amount of air that comes in and adjust the fuel mixture accordingly, so letting more air thru is unlikely to cause an increase in performance of significance unless a severe restriction was engineered into the intake from the factory, which it was not.

I had several K&N filters over the years, I now use stock paper filters in all my cars, including the Porsche track car. After looking at my intake and seeing the throttle body full of dirt I decided that the benefits are minimal relative to the potential damage.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have the K&N and the only thing you gain is knowing you are not throwing something in the trash every 15k miles. If you live in/drive in dusty conditions and want to use one you might want to consider a pre-filter or another brand of washable filter.
...uh huh...and IMHO I think that they really are not worth the extra $$$. The OEM filter will do the same thing...filter the air before it ienters the engine for combustion. Snake oil.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The only vehicle I have with a K&N filter is my motorhome. The V10 engine in this beast is so far away from any possible cool air supply that they had to do a several feet long run to the front, to get enough air into it, and it has a factory installed K&N filter (this one has the size of a small wet and dry vac)!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you guys know what is a good name brand to get, purolator, wix or fram? im gonna order through amazon

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
really?? i found an amazon fram one for 10 dollars, is fram good enough for the subaru?
I wouldn't hesitate. I've been buying Mahles for around $10 online, have used frams from the store previously and only changed because I found the Mahles for less.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
I'd had Fram, STP, Purolater, Wix...never could tell any difference.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I hear/read same things as Rasterman - there are some reports that K&N filters compromise MAF sensors - some manufacturers (VW Tdi) specifically warn against using them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
JAvendan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing