Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's a weird Q: anyone with a factory security system which uses the horns for audible alert ever replaced their stock horns with air horns? i want louder horns, but don't want to screw up the security sustem. somehting that will peel the Bush stickers off a Hummer at 30 feet sounds about right.

not happy thus far with the higher-decibel electric horns i got (shaped just like factory ones, supposedly more dB, i can't hear much difference. altho they might draw enough more that they're not getting full voltage through the stock wiring and i need to add a relay. not sure.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
where did you hook up the new horns?

You are trying new horns. Do you have a factory Alarm. If so, notice the horn hear your fuel cut off device?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, i've had them in for a month or 2. they fit on the exact same mount arm as the originals and hook up with the same spade lug terminal. they were only $13 or so each, but i didn't feel i had enough improvement that i'd do it again despite low cost and easy install.

yes, i have a factory alarm. mine seems to use the main horns for the audible alert; no separate horn for the alarm under the hood. set it off once by accident.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think what he's trying to say is, are you sure that the horns in the grille are the ones that are used by the security system?

I self-installed the factory security system after I bought my car. It came with an extra horn that I installed on the right hand side of the engine, and there was a connector that plugged right into it.

I suspect that the security system uses that "alternate" horn, and the ones on the grille are for, well, making noise in traffic :)

It would be too easy for a crook to snip the wires on the horns on the front of the car.

When I have a chance I'll pull the connector from the "alternate" horn and try to set off the panic alarm on my car. We'll see what happens... :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i could be wrong, but i'd swear that the one time i set it off by accident, those were the ones making the noise. i'll go check.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peaty, once again, you is Da Man!!! thanks.

i considered hwy blasters, had em on my Kawasaki, had to run em through relay but they made my 475 lb sportbike sound JUST like a 5000 lb Buick (a big one, not that wimpy little excuse kowtowing to them furriners and OPEC that the Lizard has), and at 132 dB to boot.. horn button became the Errant Driver Soiling Self If He Tries To Change Lanes Into Me button. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

problem is, i didn't want OBS to sound like a Buick, so i'm glad to know air horns work. now the Liz might want to add em to his if he gets homesick for the comforting embrace of the General. or i guess he could buy a new Sub for that. :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the louder disc horns are what i installed on my OB. they are louder, a little, but make that same pathetic "beep" noise. i want something that commands attn but girlfriend wouldn't like big rig air horns and they'd be a bear to mount....and i like the sound of reglr air horns

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Lots of people have used the Hella horns, they are very loud. But in order to get the most sound out of them you really should wire them up with a relay getting power to them directly from the battery. The horns I used were with the factory wiring. People that have used the factory wiring with the Hella's didn't get very good sound.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is true for most any aftermkt horns. they just draw too much juice for the stock wiring and switch contacts to pass. and issue ain't just loudness, as the excessive amperage can fry your factory switch over time.

(he says, wondering why he didn't bother to install one on his OBS when he swapped the horns....):eek: ( i WAS planning on adding one with the air horns)

mine aren't Hellas, rather Fiamm, another maker of horns, not as good as Hella. but they were pretty cheap, abt $15 each at local otto partz. and the problem is not so much the volume (altho i'm sure they would be louder with a relay) as the character of the sound.

Blacklax, i think you can find em waay cheaper than Griot's garage; they're really overpriced, IMHO. they do have a nice catalog. the only things to order from Griot's are stuff that they're the only ones who carry, like the FACOM tools. check susquehannamotorsports.com, a Hella dlr who carries all of their lights and horns, and check ebay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing