Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
This is the H6, right?

Does the data logger you're using show AF 1 and AF 2 with STFT 1 and 2 and both rear O2 sensors? LTFT doesn't help any and I only see one AF and one rear O2. You only have STFT for bank 1.

The data is showing that the bank 1 cat is bad.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@cardoc I will add the missing sensors

yes cat 1 is bad but I am not going to replace it until I sort out the misfire issues as I am sure that is what cooked the car in the first place.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@cardoc got freessm installed , can you help me set it up?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@cardoc got romraider installed, how to use it? it seems like there is limited information

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
got romraider installed,
What was installed? Did that include the cumulative ECU and Logger definition files, as indicated on the Romraider (RR) "Download" page?

If yes, were the files unzipped, saved to a folder on the computer, and the RR Editor and Logger linked to the definitions?

(Just want to know where you are so that if needed, the "how to use it" can move you forward.)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@ cardoc I got it installed and put all the files into the same folder. got it pointed to the car definitions... a lot of the PID make no sense to me

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
I got it installed and put all the files into the same folder. got it pointed to the car definitions... a lot of the PID make no sense to me
Going to add that the screen shots showing the PIDs down the left side should be when RR Logger is connected to your ECU. That provides the list of actual, available PIDs. Otherwise, if RR Logger is started up without being in communication with the ECU, the list shows every possible PID in the RR definitions, many of which would not apply to any one particular model or ECU.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
will have tomorrow morning

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@cardoc i should mention that this only happens when sitting overnight. go out during the day and start it, it will not misfire nearly as bad...i am beginning to think the fuel pump might be culprit here as it is hard to start when it acts up..

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
....this only happens when sitting overnight.
I think this is a hint. Have you checked the battery output and grounding?

The data you posted in earlier post showed misfires on other cylinders. The majority is on 1 and 4, but, there is a connection to what you posted above, (in bold), and the misfires. ELECTRICITY!!!!

Check all the power and then we'll move forward. Battery output in amperes, conductance of the grounds, (main, body, engine, etc.......), and be sure you have good power available to the systems.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
last service 0n 5-26-20 shows battery above spec rated 685 tested 787 but it was 95F outside. car had a loose ground connection and I repaired it. all the grounds i saw were good... no broken wires alll securely connected.

the positive terminal is clean where to connects to the battery. car cranks over just fine..

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
Grounds can look good but under the insulation there can be a problem. You have to check the conductance with a meter.

Your smart and seem to be active in analyzing issues. Measure the resistance between the battery post and the bolt at the end of the ground cable by the starter. You want 0.00 Ohms. Quite simply, the 4 gauge cable that is your ground should conduct cleanly to the bolt on the engine. Between the battery post and the engine block, or alternator case, you want similar, but no more than 0.01 Ohms. Battery post to body should be no more than 0.02 Ohms. These are prime values and is achievable. All my cars run clean, flowing grounds. Only the VDC has a grounding kit, but it also has a lot of added electronics on it; stereo system, added sensors and modules for the sensors, gauges, upgraded lights, etc. The others are stock.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
oh also there are no air leaks cold or warm...emptied an entire can of brake clean when cold and again when warm....sprayed it everywhere on intake and absolutely no change...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@cardoc can you post up a diagram of all the grounds in the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
ok found a handful of grounds and inspected and cleaned up... no change... later when the engine cools off, I am going to pull #4 coil and swap it with a known good one.. will also pull plug to make sure it is not damaged/cracked.

@cardoc can you post up subaru's criteria for setting a misfire code?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts