Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
1. OUTLINE OF DIAGNOSIS
Detect the presence of misfire occurrence. (Revolution fluctuation method) Monitoring Misfire which influences exhaust deterioration (1.5 times of FTP) and catalyst damage is made obligatory by the law. Misfire affecting these two has two patterns below. :
- Intermittent misfire (The same cylinder misfires in random, or different cylinders misfire in random.): FTP 1.5 times misfire
- Every time misfire (The same cylinder misfires every time.): FTP 1.5 times misfire, Catalyst damage misfire The following detecting methods are adopted for these detection.
1. Intermittent misfire: FTP 1.5 times misfire
- 120° Interval Difference Method
- 360° Interval Difference Method (whole range)
- 720° Interval Difference Method (3,000 rpm or more)

2. Misfire every time: FTP 1.5 times misfire, Catalyst damage misfire
- 360° Interval Difference Method

3. GENERAL DRIVING CYCLE
- If conditions are met, it is possible to detect the misfires from idling to high engine speed. However, to avoid excessive load or harm to the engine, perform diagnosis at idle.
- Perform the diagnosis continuously.

4. DIAGNOSTIC METHOD
When a misfire occurs, the engine speed will decreased and the crankshaft position speed will change. Calculate the interval difference value (diagnostic value) from crankshaft position speed by the following formula, and judge whether a misfire is occurring or not comparing the calculated result with judgment value. Counting the number of misfires. If the misfire ratio is higher during 1000 revs. or 200 revs., Judge corresponding cylinders as NG.

As shown in the following figure, pick a cylinder as the standard and name it omg 0. And the former crankshaft position speed is named omg 1, the second former crankshaft position speed is named omg 2, the third is named omg 3, etc.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
FTP 1.5 times misfire (Misfire occurrence level which influences exhaust gas)

Abnormality Judgment
Judgment Value (Judge that malfunction occurs when the misfire ratio is high in 1000 engine revs.)

Time Needed for Diagnosis: 1000 engine revs.
Malfunction Indicator Light Illumination: Illuminates when malfunction occurs in 2 continuous driving cycles.

Normality Judgment

Time Needed for Diagnosis: 1000 engine revs.

Catalyst damage misfire (Misfire occurrence level damaging catalyst)

Abnormality Judgment

Time Needed for Diagnosis: 200 engine revs.
Malfunction Indicator Light Illumination: Illuminates as soon as a malfunction occurs.

Normality Judgment

Time Needed for Diagnosis: 200 engine revs.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
son of a sea biscuit, broke the brake check valve when removing the hose for replacement...

have a generic one on order...lol no way I am giving Subaru $400 for that

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

#4 plug
#4 coil pack connector that was depinned and repinned to a new connector

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
@cardoc... all connectors are in working order and secured... the previous owner did a hack job and epoxied the connector to a cheap aftermarket (diamond) coil on #4. So I removed the epoxy and de-pinned the connector and re-pinned it to a replacement connector and installed 6 new SUBARU (NGK) coils and verifying each one clicked into place.

all coils came out dry with no leaks on any of them

what does the condition of the spark plug tell you? it has about 8k on it

So I replaced the check valve with a generic one and reconnected everything and started it up....way smoother now

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@cardoc so do you think the check valve could have been sucking air before?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@cardoc.... ok took it for a drive and it is significantly improved although not 100% gone...still a very slight shake at ilde...

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
So I replaced the check valve with a generic one and reconnected everything and started it up...
Did the generic valve fit in the same place as the original, i.e., on the brake booster, or is it the type that goes in the hose? If it replaces the valve on the booster, how is it removed and replaced? Does the old one just pop out? (Adding to my list of bits to find during next trip to the pick-n-pull and want to be prepared.)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Did the generic valve fit in the same place as the original, i.e., on the brake booster, or is it the type that goes in the hose? If it replaces the valve on the booster, how is it removed and replaced? Does the old one just pop out? (Adding to my list of bits to find during next trip to the pick-n-pull and want to be prepared.)
the generic one dorman 80189 is an exact replacement... the valve took a little effort to get out and the new one came with a grommet that fit... it plugs directly into the brake booster

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
the generic one dorman 80189 is an exact replacement...
Thanks. Less than $CDN 15 up here here from Amazon.ca for the valve and grommets. Hardly worth pulling the part.

If the valve wasn't cracked before, how was the old grommet? Soft, and sealing? Could it have been leaking? (Just wondering, no need to answer.)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
old grommet was hard so did not re-use it... it came with a replacement grommet that fits just fine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
no, i have not, the 3.6L has the booster port on the same side as cyl 4 and that might explain that cylinder misfiring...

41 - 60 of 78 Posts