Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First does anyone post here? Second my 2002 outback has always leaked air on the drivers side window. Now at 38,000 the passenger side is leaking. Dealer has fixed twice, but problem always returns. Any ideas?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
muskk -

Actually, this forum should be open to the public in a few days. I'll make an announcement once it opens.

Thanks!

admin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wind noise

I have had the noise from day one, owned an '01 OBW LTD since Oct 01 and have ~63K miles on it now. Someone posted once (On the USMB, I believe) about putting the window down and squeezing the channel by the outside rearview mirror support. That worked for awhile, but the noise returned. Someone else posted about stringing a straightened coat hanger inside the rubber channel, but I never tried that. All I do now is take the palm of my hand and push the window up to quiet the noise and most of the time almost eliminate it. Have to do it every time I open the door or put the window down for a toll booth:(
It is annoying, but the returning oil smell from a recently replaced head gasket is more annoying:3:

·
Administrator
4,352 Posts
Are you sure its wind noise from the windows? I thought I had this problem although in my case I realized that the Outback rearview mirrors make a great amount of wind noise at speed. Your case might be different, my solution to compensate is to turn up the radio until the noise is drowned out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cao Cao said:
Are you sure its wind noise from the windows? I thought I had this problem although in my case I realized that the Outback rearview mirrors make a great amount of wind noise at speed. Your case might be different, my solution to compensate is to turn up the radio until the noise is drowned out.
With the McIntosh system, that is probably a LOT more fun than the stock head unit, although volume is not always a bad thing.
Try my thing of pushing up on the windows and see if the wind noise is quieter. It leaves a big PB & J stain if you are a messy eater:2:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cao Cao said:
I have alot of wind noise and it is definately the window seals. If I push on the seal the wind noise is drastically reduced. I think I read somewhere that the dealer can adjust the angle of the windows, thus improving the seal and reducing the wind noise. I've never asked as I'm out of warranty and imagine it is expensive.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
wind noise

I have noticed a lot of wind noise at speed in my '03 OBW and have considered removing the roofrack crossbars, since I never carry anything up there anyway. (After all, the dealer did give me that handy tool to put in my glovebox.)

The mirrors are large and do contribute to the noise, but I like the fact that they are large enough to be useful!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roofbars

I pulled mine almost immediately, I like the look a bit better, and the noise level did go down. They are pretty easy to install and remove. Course, now they hang in the garage with a pair of bike racks attached, and a Thule roof box with Yakima bars and mounts from the ceiling. ~15 minutes I can add or pull the box, quicker with the factory bars but they do not key-lock.

·
Administrator
4,352 Posts
Re: Roofbars

Valkaru said:
I pulled mine almost immediately, I like the look a bit better, and the noise level did go down. They are pretty easy to install and remove. Course, now they hang in the garage with a pair of bike racks attached, and a Thule roof box with Yakima bars and mounts from the ceiling. ~15 minutes I can add or pull the box, quicker with the factory bars but they do not key-lock.
I had my roofbars on until the beginning of December. I took a 9 hour trip for Thanksgiving and the roofbars made too much noise. It does look better without them and I'll probably never use them anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts