Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, new member here so bear with me if I do thing incorrectly with posting. I have a n/a 2006 outback and im looking to try to get a better noise from my engine without anything too expensive. I recently bought a K&N HF air filter, and Ive been hearing about the air silencer or resonator below the filter box. I took it out and I have a CEL and my cruise control is blinking on and off. Is this normal? Will resetting my ECU do anything?

Update: I forgot to plug the MAF sensor back in like a clutz so hopefully the lights go away

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,578 Posts
The resonator is there for a reason, and removing it may have compromised performance in the power band - it is designed to tune pulsations in the air flow at specific RPMs caused by normal valve operation.

The K&N air filter won't help you; lots of threads here on the subject - just use the search feature. If this is the 2.5i H4 NA engine, it pretty much is what it is, and performance improvements are rather hard to come by. Enjoy what you have - the best generation Subaru produced, IMHO - and just maintain it well; it will reward you for that.

And - welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,803 Posts
Any "cold air intake" system is really a hot air system when the air flow is being pulled from the engine bay. The stock system pulls air from outside the engine bay pulling air in that is blowing in to the grille. Increased air temperatures means the fuel trim changes, timing is changed, knock with low octane gas is more present, and it lowers power output.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The resonator is there for a reason, and removing it may have compromised performance in the power band - it is designed to tune pulsations in the air flow at specific RPMs caused by normal valve operation.

The K&N air filter won't help you; lots of threads here on the subject - just use the search feature. If this is the 2.5i H4 NA engine, it pretty much is what it is, and performance improvements are rather hard to come by. Enjoy what you have - the best generation Subaru produced, IMHO - and just maintain it well; it will reward you for that.

And - welcome to the forums!
I appreciate the words of wisdom, I have decided to keep the res off. I know I wont be getting much performance out of this car and that is fine with me. I like being able to slightly hear my intake and occasionally a quiet whistle. I dont plan on modding my car too heavily as I want to get it to 300k, or at least 215k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts