Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i EJ253 4EAT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an Airbag Light intermittent ON, read DTC - only Code 29 shows up, ODS Failure. Pulled the seat, reseated all connectors, found nothing. The error correlates with .. heat being turned on, excessive humidity, freezing ... it's definitely driven by ambient, not by vibrations, electrical load or operation-related. The manual says - actually - swap the seat as the module is riveted to the seat base.

I suspect the (pressure) transducer itself, and I need to simulate it in order to isolate it - but it does not seem to be a passive contact (i.e. I cannot just disconnect the plug or short the leads). Do you guys know how could I test this glorified bladder ...

Of course if you've seen this DTC before and have a root cause - I'll be most grateful ...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
914 Posts
Have you checked fuse number 25? That feeds that system according to the diag tree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. But that fuse is "protected" and cannot be extracted with the fuse puller, and I'm afraid to try pulling it with pliers or tweezers.

What is the proper way of pulling those fuses that are not meant to be clipped from the sides?

Thanks again. It will be mighty dumb if I went into those pains because of a corroded or a lousy fuse

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pry out the fuse, looked and measured good. Still swapped it with the spare 15A one, will keep watching. No more suspects left but the seat itself ...

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
245 Posts
You may need Subaru Select Monitor to diagnose further. Curious to know if your vehicle/airbag is part of the Takata recall and if this issue could be covered by that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We might be looking at a different copies of the Service manual (mine is 2009) - I read the DTC 29 under Airbag system menu (Autel A629 reader), and the only reference in the manual 'ODS failure". I did the Takata recall long time ago, have to check which airbag was replaced ... this might be a good lead ...

Just checked the VIN vs NHTSA - all done ... except for the last recall - that was actually completed in The Netherlands but is not communicated to NHTSA of course. Believe it or not, Subaru Europe - which is utterly incapable to replace my car key - actually honored the US recall notice, and the local dealer swapped my front airbag free of charge - go figure! But there was never a recall on the rear airbag (the one in the seat) ...

Will keep digging ...

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
245 Posts
We might be looking at a different copies of the Service manual (mine is 2009)
Yes, what I posted is from the 2005 manual. Mostly similar even though 2005 tends to deviate from the rest of the generation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, 10 days and at least 3 sub-zero cold starts - the Airbag light still works OK, after just swapping the fuse... I'm starting to get hopeful that either a)there was a lousy fit at the fuse (indeed, the fuse was half-way out) or b)disconnecting the battery resets something for some time. If it stays like this for another 20 days then I'll be sure it's something related to either the fuse or the battery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts