Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 4cyl wagon 195k+ and goin strong!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2010 Outback 3.6L (6cyl) July of 2016 that had under 6,000 miles on it. It was parked in a covered outdoor lot and sat for well over a year (maybe 2). When I went to look at it, I had to replace the battery as it didn't have enough charge to unlock the doors.

It has been a great car for my wife and newborn but the issue is that the airbag lights on the driver side and passenger side come on and off randomly with no common cause. It has come on in the dead of winter (Eastern WA temps are well below freezing) and the hot of summer (getting over 100 degrees in July/August). Sometimes they will come on upon starting the vehicle and sometimes when going down the road. They do not work together either....it is one or the other.

Along with this issue, the center dash indicator (with the mpg, miles until empy) sometimes ONLY illuminates the time. Everything else is not on and will just come on at a random time....this can be traveling 5 minutes and it works and then it can be over an hour of travel and it works. I will get a picture of the passenger airbag illuminating as soon as it reoccurs.

I took it to the local Subaru Dealer to get the oil changed and they had a look. They said that they couldnt get it to replicate and they would need to see it with the lights on in order to get a read off of it. They also said that the indicators did not have a direct impact to the bags deploying (which was a concern for me) but it did mean that the bags would not deploy if they indicators were saying they were off (illuminated)

Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I cant help but wonder if the alternator is shot since I had to replace the battery.....but I think the Subaru mechanics would have tested that when they diagnosed (and charged me for) the issue.

thank you for your time...this is a concern since my wife and kid are in the vehicle!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 4cyl wagon 195k+ and goin strong!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! Actually the pictures indicate the airbag, not the seatbelt. And then the middle dash picture shows the whole console off except the time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts