Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a lot of threads on performance suspension mods, but nothing about adding air bags or something to help the back end of my 01 obw from bottoming out when its full of people and camping gear.

it is possible to mount airbags to our suspension setup? is there some kind of spring up grade that wont make it really stiff but help with my problem? I really like the way it handles and rides, stiff enough to be zippy on road, but soft enough that the washboards aren't jarring, so i would like not to change that part.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Because they are very costly for the OB. I was only able to find a company that does custom high end show car stuff that would fit and the cost would be more than what your car is worth.

Pack lighter - get a trailer.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i kinda figured. it is really easy on a live axle system and such. any advice? it could be time for me to replace all the shocks and struts anyway. i have over 130k miles and i am not sure it has ever been done, i bought it at 90k.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
your likely due. Take a look at some of the alternative shock/struts and springs that may achieve what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Do a bounce test. Get a good bounce going (by pushing the front/rear bumpers) and see how long it takes for it to stop bouncing. Push the car from side to side and see how long it takes to stop. Finally from about a 5mph roll, perform a panic stop and see how long it takes for the front of the car to come back up and stop after it dives down. Ideally all of these cases it should be immediate. If it continues to bounce after letting go in any of these cases, it is likely time to replace the struts. Another test is to look for seepage around the cartridges.

Every car is different. My OB is an 04 and has 119K on it and they aren't shot. They are definitely getting worn but are far from being completely done, although I do plan on replacing them soon. My 99 Grand Prix GTP at 191,000 miles and lowered on the factory struts still doesn't "need" struts, but they are definitely getting towards the end of their life. My 95 Grand Prix I replaced the struts at about 94,000 miles because they were so bad that the rear wheels would rub the inside of the wheel will on sharp turns, especially with someone in the back seat. But then again, the car was also 15 years old at the time.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Given the age of your car just have the shock replaced. I did that on my 01. I think a set of rears were $65 from subaruonline. I took the whole strut to NAPA machine shop they charged me $10 to mount each new shock on the strut.

Difference made was considerable regarding rear end bobbing etc. Handling was much improved. As for weight - pick up one of those little Harbor Freight trailers and rig it up to haul your camping gear in plastic bins. They are super light super cheap and would make your gear hauling ability expand and lighten up the rear a little by moving gear to the trailer.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
Given the age of your car just have the shock replaced. I did that on my 01. I think a set of rears were $65 from subaruonline. I took the whole strut to NAPA machine shop they charged me $10 to mount each new shock on the strut.

Difference made was considerable regarding rear end bobbing etc. Handling was much improved. As for weight - pick up one of those little Harbor Freight trailers and rig it up to haul your camping gear in plastic bins. They are super light super cheap and would make your gear hauling ability expand and lighten up the rear a little by moving gear to the trailer.

You mean they mounted each coil to the new strut. There is no separate shock on the strut assembly, just a strut and coil in the front and rear application.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While I am not sure how or if this would work on a subaru, on my ford van I placed a rubber product called Tumblin. 2 of them go on the rear axle. You should find these at shops that work on heavy trucks, like I said, dont know if they make them for subies. Of all the products for lift kits or suspension support this could be the most durable and simple. It makes my ride stiff but I am hauling a 400 pound wheel chair lift and a 4000 pound camper with an E150 (which is not exactly built to be a heavy hauler. )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts