Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys glad to be part of this forum, this is my first post.
after turning my aircon on i decided to open the bonnet and have a look at the compressor, it turned out the compressor was turning on for about 10 seconds and turning off for bout 20 seconds, is that normal, both fans turn on and off at the same time, the aircon is nice and cold with no problem but first time i realised this just wondered if it is normal as i just got my radiator changed. any info would be appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
It depends on the air temperature. The car's A/C cycles just like your home A/C - when a set temperature is reached, it cycles off. Gas saving feature. Usually, accelerating fast does the same thing (shuts off A/C compressor) to help with acceleration.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
This is normal for the compressor.
Its normal depending on the ambient temperature. If its warm outside, say above 80 F, then it shouldn't cycle that much. Have it checked to see if its low. The number one leak in any AC is the service valves. The seals lose their ability to hold the pressure on the "HI" side or the vacuum on the "LO". Other leak possibilities are the seals on the hoses at the compressor body.

Another possibility, and I haven't seen it on a Subaru in a long, long, long time is restriction in the system which creates a very high pressure on the "HI" side and very low on the "LO". In a case as this, its generally debris from within the compressor that causes it or gelling due to the use of cheap quick fill cans of refrigerant with a "sealer" in it. Never use those. Does more damage that good.

The fans come on when the compressor kicks on to cool the condenser, which is in front of the radiator, and turns off when the compressor cycles off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing