Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm in Birmingham with a 2006 2.5i Outback. Any other Owners in the area, or State?

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, and I'm only in Alabama for 6 months on a work rotation, but I own a 2006 2.5i as well. I'm currently living up in the Huntsville area.

Suggs, do you have a mechanic that you could recommend in the area? I know Birmingham is a bit of a drive, but might be worth it if I know it's someone I can trust that won't gouge me out price-wise.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, and I'm only in Alabama for 6 months on a work rotation, but I own a 2006 2.5i as well. I'm currently living up in the Huntsville area.

Suggs, do you have a mechanic that you could recommend in the area? I know Birmingham is a bit of a drive, but might be worth it if I know it's someone I can trust that won't gouge me out price-wise.
One of the posters lives in Helena, AL (boxerfan67) - as mentioned earlier, but I am not sure if he knows anybody in your area. There is a dealer in Birmingham (Jim Burke Subaru) but I am not sure how good their service dept is - they may have loaners, while your car is in service there. I bought 2 cars there but never had them serviced there....

·
Registered
9 Posts
NEW!
My wife and I are looking for a new (new to us) car.
She is pretty dead set on a Subaru, I found one on in Trussville, is there anyone local who could check it out for/with me?

98 with 95k miles, timing belt not done.

Zack

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
NEW!
She is pretty dead set on a Subaru, I found one on in Trussville, is there anyone local who could check it out for/with me?

Zack

Do you have more details on the car? MT or AT? Carfax? Service docs...?

Sure is a low mileage car! Is it being sold by an individual or a dealer?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
NEW!

Zack
@boxterfan67 is on right now,....

but I would be convincing her to get a Toyota something. Getting a Subaru worked on in Alabama is difficult.

I guess if the timing belt was not done yet, the head gaskets were not done yet either.

Is this a legacy outback = with the problem EJ25D,

or a legacy maybe with a trouble free 2.2, (Edit: ...LGT did come with the EJ25D also)

or a impreza outback sport with a trouble free 2.2

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
Zack
here it is:

1998 Subaru Outback AWD

I wouldn't get it - it's an EJ25D and priced fairly high. In that price range you can get yourself into the less problematic SOHC EJ25's of the 1999 Forester/Impreza or 2000+ Legacy/Outback. They are much less problematic engines.

google "EJ25 headgasket", the one in that vehicle is the worst engine Subaru ever made, hands down.

it's not a bad engine mind you - but not one i'd want to pay top dollar for or get without a compelling reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is the one.

I know a small bit about Subaru over heating issues so after I posted I started searching. I found several people talking about replacing the 2.5 with a 2.2.
I have a project truck already, I need something reliable/low maintenance.

We both really want to find something AWD; Something awd that gets north of 20mpg.

I have looked at purchasing a subaru several times before. Usually issues with the automatic trans scare me away, are those concerns founded? I know staying on top of the timing belt is required, do all the models/engines need to have regular headgasket services?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
^^+1 Shouldn't be too hard at all to find a Gen 2 for about the same money.

And @eagleeye is correct about the lack of Soob indie mechanics in this area.

Just curious...why is the wife insisting that you get a Subaru?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
That is the one.

I know a small bit about Subaru over heating issues so after I posted I started searching. I found several people talking about replacing the 2.5 with a 2.2.
I have a project truck already, I need something reliable/low maintenance.

We both really want to find something AWD; Something awd that gets north of 20mpg.

I have looked at purchasing a subaru several times before. Usually issues with the automatic trans scare me away, are those concerns founded? I know staying on top of the timing belt is required, do all the models/engines need to have regular headgasket services?
The auto trans are usually great extremely reliable things, even better then the manuals. = I guess you could find one that had a owner driving around with no trans fluid to ruin it,

and not "regular" head gasket services. one good quality job is enough on a 2000-2009 H4 car.

the 1996-1999 EJ25D is the real problem series though. Not repeat problems if the gaskets were done correctly,...but prone to people not getting them fixed at all dumping them fast into the used. and then the new owner has a melted seized turd under the hood in as little as 3 weeks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
^^+1 Shouldn't be too hard at all to find a Gen 2 for about the same money.

And @eagleeye is correct about the lack of Soob indie mechanics in this area.

Just curious...why is the wife insisting that you get a Subaru?
you forgot to say your next vehicle is going to be some type of Toyota SUV.

...if you don't die of a heart attack from simple worry, with your head under the hood of the current vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We want a wagon for the storage space and Subaru seems to be the only thing available in AWD that can come close to 30mpg.

Our current vehicle is an isuzu rodeo, its V6 4wd body on frame and gets 20mpg. I am not going to step down to something like a unibody 4banger explorer for an extra 2mpg highway.

My Frontier gets 18-20mpg Highway, again 4wd body on frame and can tow a trailer.

We are also looking at some of the suzuki wagons, but they are pint sized.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I don't see you getting 30 mpg in that Gen 1 with the EJ25 of '98 vintage.

Also, I believe my car to be a unibody. Gen 1s as well...???

So many improvements were made to OBWs between '98 and '01, I couldn't justify spending that much money on that particular car.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
you forgot to say your next vehicle is going to be some type of Toyota SUV.

...if you don't die of a heart attack from simple worry, with your head under the hood of the current vehicle.

Now this wouldn't apply to me, now would it??:gasp:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not set to purchase that vehicle, I thought it was clean and low mileage, but NADA, KBB, and the other sources I checked valued it sub $2k, and I appreciate yall telling me about the issues.

I know subarus will be body on frame, and I know mileage will not pass 30 (at much if at all)
I used the explorer as a reference because it reportedly only gets 18 & 22, the different subarus I have checked all range north of 22 city. maybe 28 highway.

Our rodeo needs some cash spent on it, not a ton, but enough to make me consider buying a new vehicle. If I cant get something AWD and more fuel efficient then I will just pay to update the rodeo.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I get about 23mpg city and an easy 28 hwy in my H6. I think that with a little more searching you can find a Gen 2 Outback with the greatly improved engine. Working in your favor is that most around here have no idea of the real value of a Subaru. "Just another Japanese wagon" is very common.

Mileage is not as critical in a Subaru as many other vehicles. As long as all service records are current and accurate, don't let 130k mi (for example) run you off. It's all in the maintenance. I have almost 185k mi on mine and @eagleeye gives me a hard time because I do most of my own wrenching. The largest "repairs" I've done are replacing the radiator, and replacing a front wheel bearing.

Other than that...just basic stuff any car would need.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i (Manual) 71k miles.
11 Posts
First post, figured i'd introduce myself on the Alabama page and see if there are any other Subie owners in this area!

I just bought a 2007 Outback 2.5i manual transmission on Saturday and i'm loving it! This is my first Subaru so it would be nice to have some folks around to pick their brain and talk about all things Subaru!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
New Subaru owner here. Located in Mobile, AL. Looking for other local folks to share/learn more about our Subaru. Also looking for a quality Subaru mechanic!

FlyboyTR
Mobile, AL
On Dog River.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts