Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback, 2.5 L DOHC, MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather's 2007 legacy sedan has an electrical issue that causes the panic alarm to go off randomly. This happens very often (once every two or three minutes, lasting for maybe 20 or 30 seconds. Additionally, the security alarm chimes randomly and it unlocks and locks the doors. Any suggestions on what it could be and how to fix it?

I cannot stress how F***ing annoying this is.

:1zhelp:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit

Checked the key fob. when the battery (in the key fob) was removed. the problem continued. The fob itself was not in anyone's pocket, and I have tried deactivating the security system to no avail.

This has, however been made less annoying by the removal of the horn fuse.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
Not too many ideas, but wondering if it happens whenever, and especially wherever, the car is, or does it happen only when parked, say, at home? Could there be something in the area that's triggering the keyless entry module? Any transmitters in the area -- broadcast stations, cell towers, radio dispatchers (fire, police, transport companies)?

p.s., if the car was bought new, there should have been two remote control fobs. Where's the second one? Could it be in a drawer or under a book, where it's periodically being "triggered"?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know, it was purchased used, and only had one keyfob. No broadcast towers in the area either.

Unfortunately, this may be one for the pros.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
As I have a 2007 as well, I wish could provide the answer, but the symptoms, as described, are not something I've experienced, or read about here or on other Subaru forums, and they don't fit any of my understanding of the keyless entry/security system.

But there might be something relevant in other observations that we don't yet have. For example, when the car is turned off and the key removed, does the security light in the instrument panel flash as it should? Does it go out when the key is inserted?

Does the remote lock and unlock function work? (Locks and unlocks the doors, external lights flash, and there's an audible signal at the same time.)

Do any of the warning lights in the instrument panel stay on after the engine is started?

Are there any other electrical functions that are not working properly?

Is the battery in good condition and properly charged up? Is the electrical wiring at the battery, and at the ground wires to the body and the engine in good condition?

Is the car new to your grandfather, or was it bought some time ago and keyless entry/security didn't do this for [how long?]. The problem only appeared [when?]. If the problem only recently appeared, what work, if any, was done on the car before the symptoms appeared?

Admittedly it's a gunshot approach to see if anything else might provide a lead.

In the event the car is taken to a garage and the problem is identified and corrected, I hope you will let us know what it was.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does your gate or any door sign come on as open while driving the car? I had a similar issue with the alarm going off randomly when the car would be parked and locked. It turned out to be the rear gate lock that started to malfunction, then the alarm would probably think that, while the car was locked, someone had broken in through the gate. I disconnected the electrical switch of the gate lock for the problem to go away, although I'm yet to repair it.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
My 2008 had started doing this at one point, but I put it into valet mode and never took it out so I don't know if it still does.

It only happened twice and it was extremely windy that day. Plus it was parked sort of in the open where the wind could really hit it. I don't even know if it has a shock sensor (which could explain that), so it might just be a coincidence.

FWIW, mine had (and still has) no other symptoms of an electrical issue anywhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As I have a 2007 as well, I wish could provide the answer, but the symptoms, as described, are not something I've experienced, or read about here or on other Subaru forums, and they don't fit any of my understanding of the keyless entry/security system.

But there might be something relevant in other observations that we don't yet have. For example, when the car is turned off and the key removed, does the security light in the instrument panel flash as it should? Does it go out when the key is inserted?

Does the remote lock and unlock function work? (Locks and unlocks the doors, external lights flash, and there's an audible signal at the same time.)

Do any of the warning lights in the instrument panel stay on after the engine is started?

Are there any other electrical functions that are not working properly?

Is the battery in good condition and properly charged up? Is the electrical wiring at the battery, and at the ground wires to the body and the engine in good condition?

Is the car new to your grandfather, or was it bought some time ago and keyless entry/security didn't do this for [how long?]. The problem only appeared [when?]. If the problem only recently appeared, what work, if any, was done on the car before the symptoms appeared?

Admittedly it's a gunshot approach to see if anything else might provide a lead.

In the event the car is taken to a garage and the problem is identified and corrected, I hope you will let us know what it was.
Still working on the problem. As far as I know, the car has had little maintenance work at all in its life (working on catching up on what I can) and it wasn't in a shop recently. Security light works as it should, but the check engine light is on. I will check those codes.

The door light doesn't come on when driving, but I do know that it has been in two accidents, so I'll look into that possibility as well.

I will try setting valet mode, and see if that resolves it.

Thanks for all the help fellow subie owners.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,256 Posts
Not too many ideas, but wondering if it happens whenever, and especially wherever, the car is, or does it happen only when parked, say, at home? Could there be something in the area that's triggering the keyless entry module? Any transmitters in the area -- broadcast stations, cell towers, radio dispatchers (fire, police, transport companies)?

p.s., if the car was bought new, there should have been two remote control fobs. Where's the second one? Could it be in a drawer or under a book, where it's periodically being "triggered"?
I was going to ask if someone had the 2nd remote and was screwing with them. :gasp:

Still working on the problem. As far as I know, the car has had little maintenance work at all in its life (working on catching up on what I can) and it wasn't in a shop recently. Security light works as it should, but the check engine light is on. I will check those codes.

The door light doesn't come on when driving, but I do know that it has been in two accidents, so I'll look into that possibility as well.

I will try setting valet mode, and see if that resolves it.

Thanks for all the help fellow subie owners.
Are there any aftermarket alarm or remote start features added to the car?

Codes may lead to a common failure. So post when you have them.

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
308 Posts
Resurrection of an old thread: I'm also familiar with that car and the owner would not allow us to pull any codes from it. I guess the story will have to end there. Sorry about the mystery, but I can vouch for everything Babbinated said.

·
Registered
05 OBXT Limited AT
22 Posts
Might check out the following link, if you haven't already. I understand that the OP car is a sedan, but it may still apply. Appears that some wagons are affected by deteriorating tailgate wiring causing a short that makes the alarm think the hatch is open. I'm not familiar with sedan specific wiring and do not know if this could be the cause, but if you are still running into dead ends it might be worth a look.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmitter may be wet/damaged

I see it's been some time since anyone has posted here, but I thought, if had anything to offer future Googlers (that's how I found this thread) I should chime in. I've got a 2007 Impreza Outback Sport randomly for the last couple of hours the panic alarm has been sounding randomly. I read up on the manual and I happened upon a clue on page 2-7 of the manual. It says "do not get the transmitter wet" -what this thread has been calling the "key fob". So after shutting all the doors -some version of the panic alarm will go off if one of the doors, or rear gate is left open, and the alarm still going off, my wife mentioned that our 16-month-old baby had been sucking on the transmitter at dinner. I opened up the transmitter and sure enough the whole thing is full of baby saliva. So far opening up the wet transmitter has worked at keeping the panic alarm from sounding. I wet it with some rubbing alcohol then stuck the chip in a bag of rich to dry it out. Hopefully it's salvageable. We'll see in the morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so did anyone figure this out ? First thing I thought was it's away to tell me my fobb battery is low I changed it with a 2032 it's a little thicker but it works so I locked my car 30 seconds alarm goes off .if someone figured this out please post .thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts