Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reluctantly just bought an '05 Outback Legacy(?). I hate newer(ha!) cars with all the bells and whistles, and this one promptly reaffirmed that for me. It drove home fine, took it out again that night, all is well...Next day it would not start and all the lights in dash were spazzing out and weird clicking noise kept up for minutes after key was removed. Stuff leaking from the battery. Got new battery, cleaned the connectors and all, put it in, car won't start and alarm goes off when I try to start it. Several tries later, the car now starts, but every time I start it the alarm goes off and continues to go off. I've tried sooo many things to deactivate the alarm, did what the manual says, did several things I saw on youtube with holding the unlock button, clicking the unlock button on door, cycling the key in the ignition, slammed doors, drove in reverse, etc etc, nothing is working. My neighbors must be beyond annoyed, as am I, I've been trying to figure this out all day. It does go off eventually after I take the key out, not sure if on it's own or something I'm doing. Key fob will unlock the doors but not lock them, just put new battery in that. Dealership won't call me back. Fuse diagram doesn't name one for alarm. Don't see a switch near floor of driver's door. Do I next take the dash apart and pull the alarm thing out? Disconnect the horn? I'm at a loss

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
Does the car have an aftermarket alarm in it?

If it does not, then disconnect the battery on the negative cable and put it over to the positive post and let it sit there for about 5 minutes or so and then hook the battery back up.

If it does have an aftermarket alarm in it, take it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I know if it's aftermarket or not? Put the negative cable on the positive post?! Isn't that exactly what you're NOT supposed to do? Aren't those not supposed to touch each other?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
After market alarm would have the control module for the alarm underneath the dash behind the knee bolster under the steering wheel, that's usually where they put it.

If you touch the positive and negative post together with the battery cables connected then you're shorting the battery, but if you take the negative clamp off the battery and move it over to the positive post all it does is draw all the residual current off of all of the modules on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts