Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a Gen 5 had their alarm go off on it's own? Last night about 430AM our 15 OB alarm went off on it's own.
The 2 key fobs were on the floor below where the wife and I were sleeping, wife's keyfob was in her purse and mine was on the countertop. Then the odd part --it shut itself off on it's own as well! Car was locked up as usual, and this morning no signs of anything out of the ordinary
We have no inside (at night) pets, so that's not a possibility.
The battery on the wifes' keyfob was changed a year ago when we were having battery problems. I changed mine this evening thinking this may had something to do with this issue.
Anyone have any input or ideas?
I think the neighbors would appreciate it NOT happening again!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,143 Posts
Any pets? My puppy got my keys once.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
check the lugnuts on the car, or maybe someone slid underneath to try stealing the cat conv. ?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,325 Posts
If thieves had such a device, the alarm would not have sounded.
Yes, I realized this when I wrote it - and also noted that both the fob and the automobile side of things also have a computer in the mix. These sort of issues, and countermeasures to them, have a way of evolving, and we wouldn't, for example, be told if car manufacturers had put in any new security code that somehow detects this approach and sounds the alarm horn.

My main point here was to bring up the possibility of some kind of foul play, as opposed to a system malfunction.

@provels - OP said there were no pets in the house at night.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
My main point here was to bring up the possibility of some kind of foul play, as opposed to a system malfunction.
In other words, the alarm might have been doing exactly what alarms are designed to do.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
It's possible a motorcycle or loud car blew by and set off the alarm. Ours goes off virtually every time we park in the downtown area. Motorcycles are the worst. We take bets on how long before the alarm goes off and we get a text. The alarm sensitivity is adjustable. 17's are a dealer setting.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
^^^^ thunder, fireworks, trains if you park near the tracks......

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White
345 Posts
Is your car equipped with the optional impact sensor? This is an add on feature to the standard Subaru alarm system. If the sensor is not properly attached, it can activate randomly.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,511 Posts
Then the odd part --it shut itself off on it's own as well!
Not odd at all. Thankfully, modern car alarms shut themselves off after a minute or so.

I think the neighbors would appreciate it NOT happening again!
You can count on that! That's why modern car alarms shut themselves off. I detest car alarms, but at least they now shut down after a set time instead of uselessly annoying everyone within earshot until the battery dies or someone sets the car on fire.

Best guess: something triggered it. Was it parked outside? Heavy wind? Earthquake? If it doesn't happen again, just call it a one-off thing. If it does happen again, (or even if it doesn't) for your neighbors' sake, please consider removing valuables from the car (you should do that, anyway) and deactivating the alarm; it's easy to do. I detest car alarms.

Have I mentioned that I detest car alarms?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is your car equipped with the optional impact sensor? This is an add on feature to the standard Subaru alarm system. If the sensor is not properly attached, it can activate randomly.
No - not that I know of.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weird as it may seem -- I did recheck the car today to see if there was any tell-tale signs of forced entry attempts --found none. ??

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
check the rubber at the back of the windows for marks or tears.

look for a dent - maybe some hooligans threw something at it ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts