Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early on when I got the the Outback 2017 Premium I turned off alarm system. I didn't like how the horn would sound if I opened the car by using the key instead of the remote button. I went through the process as described on page 2-29 in the user manual to disable the alarm system.

Just now I noticed that the red alarm activated light on the RPM side of the dash was blinking. I had never seen it blinking before. How did the alarm get activated again? I didn't go though the process on page 2-29 again.

A couple times in the last couple days I accidentally hit the panic button on my remote access key and the horn blasted but there is nothing in the manual about that turning the alarm system on again.

Any ideas?

And if anyone is wondering, I have not taken the battery out or had a dead battery - yet.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so now I'm confused. I posted that message last night after the kids were in bed so I didn't try changing anything for fear of setting off the horn. I just went out to figure it out and the car did let me open the door manually with the key without the horn going off. What I did when I got the car on page 2-29 of the manual allowed me to open the door with the key.

I don't actually remember the blinking red alarm light at the time and that light only started it's blinking yesterday or maybe the day before as I didn't take the car out.

So there are two kinds of alarms? And somehow the second mysteriously activated? I'm trying to interpret the rest of that section in the manual but franking I find it very confusing and I don't understand why this all of a sudden happened with the blinking red alarm activated light.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That red alarm activated light "Security indicator light" in the manual blinks even with all the doors unlocked and I can open the car and no alarm. Perhaps if I read the manual 5 more times but I've read it through from page 2-28 to 2-33 three times already.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep reading that section over and over and also page 3-30. It seems that the security indicator light is supposed to always be blinking unless I'm basically driving the car? I don't believe that 7 months owning the car I only noticed the red blinking light now. I wonder what's changed.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Pkg #23 & #5,Tungsten, EcoHitch, Husky Floor Liners
59 Posts
I have had my car 27 months. I have never had the red security light blink, EVER, until around Jan 1 this year. I definitely did nothing to purposely start it. I had 3 people read the manual (master's degrees, engineers) to try and figure out what might have started it (or how to stop it). No clue what changed or how it happened. The manual reads clear as mud in this section. I just hope it does not run down the already weak battery.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much my experience. And ya, not knowing if there is more than just the light i worry about the drain on the battery.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So having done lot of searching, I've come to the conclusion that the security Indicator Light is supposed to flash pretty much all the time that I'm not using the car, locked or unlocked. However, why did it only just start doing it this week and not the first six months since I've owned the car. I am positive that I would have noticed it prior to this week as I am out in the driveway in the dark many times every evening to have a puff of a cigar and I could not have not noticed this before. Impossible.

What's changed? Did some bold of lightning somehow make the car do what it is supposed to do all of a sudden?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Pkg #23 & #5,Tungsten, EcoHitch, Husky Floor Liners
59 Posts
Many software things on the car require a sequence of non-typical actions to activate/deactivate. I am usually the only one in the car, but over the holidays, there were 2 additional people getting in/out of the car, using a second FOB, opening the rear lift gate, locking/unlocking all doors with both the FOB and the door buttons, etc. For me, there was probably some combination of the above that changed a setting. We usually got out of the car after dark, and all three of us noticed this new light flashing sequence and tried for 10 minutes to figure out if there was some specific sequence that started it. The constant, very fast flashing was the most concerning. It looked like something was very wrong. The fast, double flash looks like it could be normal, but it would appear to use a lot more power than the simple, single LED that I see on most cars for a security active indicator.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get one flash every two seconds roughly. I suppose that's because I set it not to honk when I open the car with the key.

From the manual
1. Disarm the alarm system. Refer to
“Disarming the system” F2-32.
2. Sit in the driver’s seat and shut all
doors (and the rear gate (Outback)).
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON”
position.
4. Hold down the REAR (UNLOCK) side
of the driver’s power door locking switch,
open the driver’s door within the following
1 second, and wait 10 seconds without
releasing the switch. The setting will then
be changed as follows:
I had thought that that had disabled the alarm period. Now it seems that it put the car into valet mode. The manual sucks on this whole section.

Of course why it started last week after 6 months owning the car is still a mystery.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,823 Posts
Were you specifically looking for the flashing before? Or did you just not notice it? There is a difference. Sometimes, the red light flashes slowly. So, you might have glanced at the light between slow flashes.

By the way, when I deactivated my alarm, the red light continued to flash like before, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. I think it starts flashing slowly if you have been away from the car for awhile. Anyway, I am guessing the flashing stays there as a theft deterrent, like putting alarm stickers on your house but having no house alarm system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts