Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 legacy outback,
I have lost my remote for the alarm and have been using the key to lock the door. When I lock the door the alarm sets but when I unlock the car the alarm will not disable. I can use the key in the ignition to disable by turning the key three times but does anyone know why the alarm will not disable with the key?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,315 Posts
The signal to disarm has to go through the keyless module. You need a remote set at the signal your car recognizes.

·
Registered
19,407 Posts
. . .why the alarm will not disable with the key?
That's because when you unlock the door with the key, there's nothing (no electrical connection) at the key cylinder or lock mechanism that "tells" the security system that you have unlocked the car.

Conversely, if you lock all but the driver door manually from the inside, exit the car, and lock the driver door with the key from outside, the security system will not "know" that the car is locked. (There will be no confirming "beep" or flash of the lights.)

However, when inside, if you open the driver door and use the master lock/unlock switch on the inside of the driver door to lock all the doors, and then exit and close the driver door, that will set the security system (verified by the "beep" or lights flashing once).

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is an option on our 03 involving a connecter in the driver's footwell, behind some trime on the left, that WILL allow for setting the alam automatically on last-doo closure.

But yeah, there's no way for the alarm to know the difference between a key and a 'jimmy' on unlocking manually. Dunno about newer generations.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a remote from a remote site not EBAY and couldn't get it to work. Had my 06 OB at dealer for nonrelated work and they couldn't get it to program either using their computer.Now I have no working remote and cannot get into valet mode,cut wire to siren
now parking lights flash about 20 times upon exiting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After this and having had CV boot/axle replacementSS(one boot only lasted 10 mos.) I'm not a SUBIE for life person

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
this thread started by talking about an 02.
now it is talking about an 06.

so i'm confused.

the details for an 02 alarm are going to be different for an 06 alarm.
so are the remotes.

i'm confused.

i'm tempted to go through my rant about the 02 alarm system.
but i don't want to anger any one.

but if your alarm remote did not look like the others for your car year, it was the wrong one.

on top of that, it can sometimes be a real b1tch getting into the programming mode.

link to the 02 alarm page.
Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

link to the 06 alarm page,
Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

again, i'm confused.
so if this does not make sense, i'm sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.