Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered last week when I got my car back from the dealership (they had made some arrangement with another dealership to get my car, got it, but didn't properly get permanent license plates taken care of in a timely manner, so I had a loaner 2017 Crosstrek) when I plugged in my iPhone 7 with iOS 11.0.3 that it wasn't charging, and CarPlay wasn't working... at all! :crying:

The problem is, I asked if the dealership would look at the head unit, if anything could be done (I didn't expect they'd do it) so I didn't know if they had done anything to it or not. By Saturday morning (I picked it up Thursday afternoon) I called them and asked what they had done, if anything, as I was curious if they had perchance made a firmware update. I wasn't able to get an answer, as they were too busy, said they'd call me back.

Before iOS 11.0.3 I seem to recall that it was working ... ok... though not 100% identically to 10.3.3 with CarPlay. At least, it worked with the cable charging and the applications.

I updated my phone during the time I didn't have my car.

When I plugged it in with the cable I had been using for I-don't-know-how-long on my devices, it made a slight noise, but nothing really lit up on the phone, and the head unit didn't recognize anything as being plugged in, either.

I was wondering if there had been a physical defect introduced, perhaps a bad connection for the USB ports.

Fortunately, I'm sufficiently paranoid to have backup of notably different versions of OSes on my devices: I have an iPad Air 2 with iOS 10.3.3 installed on it. Using the same cable as always, I discovered it worked fine. Of course, somewhere along the line, I had reset to factory default settings for the head unit as a diagnostic measure, to no avail.

Last night I had found a post on Apple's forums, where someone else had discovered that Apple had broken their usage of older cables.

They found a cable from an iPad bought in 2017, and found they worked fine. They also were using Apple CarPlay, not a Subaru (nothing specific, just a general-purpose disabling of older cables by Apple).

I read release notes on OS updates: Apple did NOT alert anyone to this!

I lost track how long ago it was, but Apple sued some company for making unapproved Lightning port cables. No doubt, the unapproved cables needed to do something underhanded: the lightning connectors themselves have a small micro controller inside, with some sort of ID, not sure of details. It seems likely Apple has identified the range used by the counterfeiters and decided they won't be honored, even though a lot of the cables are original Apple cables.

Tonight on the way home from work, I stopped at the nearby Apple Store and bought a 1/2 meter USB->Lightning cable for use in my car: it works fine.

Note that every single Lightning port cable I have was purchased as part of an Apple device purchase: they all came in the box, I've never bought non-Apple-made cables.

I posted this, to ensure people don't waste their time and money trying to get their cars fixed, when it is Apple that's responsible.

I am rather pissed at Apple over this.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
497 Posts
Not surprising. Wasn’t Apple the first phone maker to do away with the 3.5mm headphone jack?
And now isn’t the iPhone 8 capable of fast charging. But you have to buy a special charger block. It doesn’t come with the $1000 phone.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
Isn’t it possible that the cable simply went bad?

I’m using the same old cables since the os11 update and have experienced no issues. This includes the USB-to-Lightning cable that mounts to my ProClip docking mount, which plugs into the dash cubby USB port.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Glad I got over the Apple addiction when I sold my Apple II 35 years ago.

Reactions: GeneT

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts
I have 11.1 beta 5 on my 6s Plus with a MY17 limited. There are no issues with using any lightning cable and having it play iTunes or anything else. No issues charging or with Bluetooth either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
92 Posts
Yea it's not an IOS issue. Likely your cable or the usb plug on the car. If you haven't already, try rebooting your phone. You can also go into carplay setting on your phone and the you should see your car listed. Try deleting your car then reconnecting. Usually fixes Carplay issues.

·
Registered
2016 OB Premium with Eyesight
534 Posts
Correct, not an iOS issue for me as well. Running 11.0.3 and 11.1 betas without issues with Apple and non Apple cables from different older devices (the cables that is). I will saw that we had issues with our older cables due to corrosion. It literally made a difference as to which "side was up" when plugging into the iPad or iPhone, the lightning side.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
With only 17% of the smartphone market using iOS, not that big a deal, even if it wasn't the cable being at fault. :)

·
Registered
2019 OB 3.6R Limited, and 4 VW TDI bugs.
117 Posts
Running iPhone 8Plus with iOS 11.1 beta 5 and have no issues with any of my cables, even the insignia (Best Buy) cables work well with CarPlay.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Lately I've been getting "iPod authorization failure" and can't play anything through the USB lightning cable (only Bluetooth). Maybe this is linked to what you're describing. I'll try a genuine Apple cable and see if that works.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
204 Posts
OP: Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't experienced similar issues, but good to know the possibility exists.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,144 Posts
Ah, it's the simple life for me; a $30 Nokia Windows 10 phone on a $25 plan that uses any USB cable, charger, and any plug in headphones. :) And I can even change the battery!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn’t it possible that the cable simply went bad?

I’m using the same old cables since the os11 update and have experienced no issues. This includes the USB-to-Lightning cable that mounts to my ProClip docking mount, which plugs into the dash cubby USB port.
You missed the fact that it works fine with my iPad Air 2 with iOS 10.3.3.

While the cable won't be mistaken for being new, there is nothing functionally wrong with it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 11.1 beta 5 on my 6s Plus with a MY17 limited. There are no issues with using any lightning cable and having it play iTunes or anything else. No issues charging or with Bluetooth either.

I'm still using lightning cables from their earliest sale. Read again what I stated about unauthorized makers and how they identify to machines: they have a tiny microcontroller, and likely they've got a known ID range cloned by the unauthorized maker.

Bluetooth was unaffected by this.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea it's not an IOS issue. Likely your cable or the usb plug on the car. If you haven't already, try rebooting your phone. You can also go into carplay setting on your phone and the you should see your car listed. Try deleting your car then reconnecting. Usually fixes Carplay issues.
I forgot to mention rebooting the phone, which made no difference, and even re-pairing the phone (required when I reset head unit back to factory defaults) and that made no difference.

Remember others have reported the same issue on the older cables with non-Subaru CarPlay compared to latest iOS versions. Also note that not even being recognized for charging has an OS component.

I'm still using lightning cables from their earliest sale. Read again what I stated about unauthorized makers and how they identify to machines: they have a tiny microcontroller, and likely they've got a known ID range cloned by the unauthorized maker.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct, not an iOS issue for me as well. Running 11.0.3 and 11.1 betas without issues with Apple and non Apple cables from different older devices (the cables that is). I will saw that we had issues with our older cables due to corrosion. It literally made a difference as to which "side was up" when plugging into the iPad or iPhone, the lightning side.
I'll try flipping side facing up on the lightning side with certainty on both sides on my iPhone just to be sure, but I'll be surprised if I managed to flip the figurative coin that badly several times in a row, and it's also surprising it'd happen so consistently and suddenly.

I'll also try with my iPad Pro which also has iOS 11.0.3 installed.

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts

So your cable is improper/broke. glad you figured it out.

I too have my lightning cable from my iPhone 5(the day it came out) It still works.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last night I bought a half meter cable, phone worked fine with that.

After posting this morning, as car spent a little time warming up before leaving for work, I plugged phone into older cable, and found it works, regardless of which way lightning port was oriented.

So: perhaps it (cable) was too dirty from being old and heavily used. Perhaps plugging the iPad into it helped clean it.

Perhaps plugging in New cable helped reset some state on things.

Also quite possibly my phone had the right lint buildup that either got freed or more compacted and out of the immediate way (my iPhone 6 got the port built up with so much lint it stopped working until it was cleaned, at which time an amazing amount was removed) as a result.

Perhaps I unwittingly have been employing gremlins and they multiplied lately due to the recent heavy PNW rains that has most of western Washington on severe mud slide alert.

Thanks for being good rubber ducks (look up rubber duck debugging) and perhaps I should respond on that Apple thread that things may be other than they seem. I can't dismiss possible Apple hardware or software bugs entirely ;)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
I've had frequent cable failures with Monoprice.com cables. I gave up and now use the Amazon ones. No issues, ever. The ones in my car are bound to fail eventually because the connector sees moisture and road salt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts