Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base, 2.5, automatic in Granny Gold
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 2008 outback 2.5. After a 2" ADF kit with subframe spacers, new struts, mounts, front lower control arms, tie rod ends, rear Megan lateral links and new rear control arm bushings, here are my after alignment numbers.

It is hard to read from the pic.

LF Camber 1.5 (limit 1.2 to .2) RF Camber 1.3 (limit .2 to 1.2)
LF Caster 4.9 (limit 5.7 to 4.2) RF Caster 5.0 (limit 4.2 to 5.7)
LF Toe -.02 (limit -.08 to .08) RF Toe -.04 (limit .08 to -.08)

LR Camber -.7 (limit .6 to -.9) RR Camber -.7 (limit -.9 to .6)
LR Toe -.07 (limit -.13 to 0) RR Toe -.08 (limit 0 to -.13)[/INDENT]

I did this with a full tank of gas and 100-150lbs in the rear. I'm about to install the additional camber bolts in the lower position for the front struts so they can get me inline there, so I'm not too worried about that. I'm ultimately making sure I don't have any ghostwalking and want to make sure my tires wear evenly. I'm about to pay out for some expensive new tires. I know the negative rear camber is within specs, but should I be shooting for something else?

I don't haul a lot but we will use this car for any road trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
to me, seems like the front is too positive.

maybe look in the manual or search the net for 'proper' alignment specs.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,682 Posts
lift kit was with camber offset ? if it was then front camber should be within specs. too positive camber in front happens when that offset in lift kit was not enough or it was no at all. then you need camber bolts sure.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base, 2.5, automatic in Granny Gold
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm about to install the additional camber bolts for the front. The kit was alignment corrected (or I at least ordered the alignment corrected one), so I was a little surprised with the front being off, but I think my new front lower control arms (mevotech) must have thrown it off.

I was more curious what the negative rear camber does and what happens when it is unloaded.

Once I install the new bolts for the front, I will take it in for an alignment (lifetime firestone), but I want to tell them if I want something done for the rear since I have the adjustable rear Megan links.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Camber is really going to affect tire wear. It is how bow-legged your car sits on the ground and lift kits will really affect this number. Getting this off will eat up your tires either on the inside edges for negative camber or the outside edges for positive camber.

Caster affects steering around corners and under/oversteer and is measured between the wheels being turned 20 degrees in one direction to 20 degrees in the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts