Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking to put a more powerful engine in my 03 that doesn't sacrifice too much on fuel economy. Please let me know all direct swaps!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, does not have to remain all wheel drive! I wouldn't mind going to a rear wheel drive system. I also would like it to make boost. Supercharger or turbo is a ok!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
No such thing.

There are plenty of other engines that physically fit, a few aren't that hard to wire in, but I can't think of any others that just plug in AND make more power than what you have now.

Beautiful candidate for an EJ22T but absolutely guaranteed to require some custom re-wiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just worried about more permanent things such as motor mounts haha, I wouldn't mind rewiring and upgrading the ecu at all!

·
Registered
138 Posts
What most people do is swap in a WRX turbo engine (and all related bits), wiring, and ECU. The '02-'05 are usually the most cost effective. This has been done hundreds of times. All Subaru engines from '90-2010 were EJ-based (or similar) and share engine mounts.....that's the least of your worries.

Note: I wouldn't buy a used Subaru turbo engine of any model (maybe an EJ22T, but those are exceedingly rare and not easily compatible w/yours)...they're not known for their reliability and you never really know how well maintained or abused they might be.

NONE of these will maintain your MPG....but if you do go w/a full swap you can get a custom tune which may help w/the economy.

If you haven't already read about the WRX swap, then it's time to start your Search. MANY other Subaru sites have this info readily avl. - RS25.com and NASIOC.com are two common sites. Beware, READ UP and get informed before asking questions, as those sites are not kind to those that need a spoon-feeding.

Note: Your '03 OB uses 99% the same engine and electronics as the Impreza, Forester, and Legacy - NON-turbo versions, so that's why the other sites are relevant.

Td

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
For the sake of "cheap" power, there exists an LS V8 swap kit for the BE/BH platform (your Outback). It can be modified for your choice of matching transmission, but the whole kit is not exactly cheap. Let alone the wiring nor the rest of the drivetrain (rear diff, driveshaft, axles, etc).

Your easiest route is to sell your OBW and get a H6 version available in the same year range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts