Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! I'm new here, and have been dropping some random posts to meet forum minimums to be able to have all access. I am currently waiting to pick up my '18 Magnetite/Blk 3.6R OB. I have been doing my research and am starting to road map my mods. As I mentioned in another thread, my direction for my OB is south (lower) rather than raising it. Raising it seems popular in these forums, but it just isn't my style nor does it meet my needs. Since there seems to be limited interest in lowering OB's, I though that I would start a thread to keep all of the relevant information in one thread. Feel free to add your experiences, build spec's and ideas here. And...everyones idea of "lower" may be different, so feel free to add; from Bags to springs.

My plans, Chassis/Suspension wise:

Wheels (tbd)
RS-R Springs
Bilstein Struts
20MM RSB
Endlinks
Bushings
STI Brakes

Looking forward to sharing info with you all!

Also, coming from many Audis, here is my most recent (fully modded 435hp SQ5)

fullsizeoutput_567.jpeg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey All! I'm new here, and have been dropping some random posts to meet forum minimums to be able to have all access. I am currently waiting to pick up my '18 Magnetite/Blk 3.6R OB. I have been doing my research and am starting to road map my mods. As I mentioned in another thread, my direction for my OB is south (lower) rather than raising it. Raising it seems popular in these forums, but it just isn't my style nor does it meet my needs. Since there seems to be limited interest in lowering OB's, I though that I would start a thread to keep all of the relevant information in one thread. Feel free to add your experiences, build spec's and ideas here. And...everyones idea of "lower" may be different, so feel free to add; from Bags to springs.

My plans, Chassis/Suspension wise:

Wheels (tbd)

RS-R Springs

Bilstein Struts

20MM RSB

Endlinks

Bushings

STI Brakes

Looking forward to sharing info with you all!

Also, coming from many Audis, here is my most recent (fully modded 435hp SQ5)

View attachment 404641

Exciting! I originally wanted an Audi or vw to then bag it but went with the outback instead let me know how the rsr and the sway bar works ride wise as I'm very interested. I think if you are really serious do a legacy swap and get some coilovers in this beast lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited | 2017 Outback 3.6r Touring
159 Posts
Looking forward to your build and will be adding the RSR myself as well. Which Bilsteins are you referring to? I'm not aware of any for the 5th gen

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,694 Posts
Yeah, I too thought that OEM or KYB we the only options. I'd be interested in Bilstein if it's for a stock height.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I too thought that OEM or KYB we the only options. I'd be interested in Bilstein if it's for a stock height.

Still doing my research, we’ll see. I’ll share everything/anything that I find out.

My SQ5 above had Bilstein PSS10 coilovers, that were meant for a same generation Audi A6. After a bunch of research, I figured out it would work and it was an awesome setup.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
The front STI brakes should bolt on. I'm getting a set installed on my car in a couple weeks. The rears don't look like the bolt on as you will lose the parking brake.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, been doing a lot of research on the Gen5 Outback. Seems that as others have mentioned, a rear brake swap while keeping the E-ebrake is a no go. Interesting though, while looking into a front brake swap, I came across a Cadillac/Brembo Caliper swap that seems to be popular in the legacy/WRX community. Seems like a very cost effective option.
I did come across some good information in the Legacy Forums regarding suspension. It seems that if someone wanted to go with a Legacy Shock swap, you can do a Koni insert in the front and generic Koni Sports for the rear. I am trying to find out the possibility of using this set up with RSR springs.
Other things in the works too, which include a pretty sleek set of wheel too.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited | 2017 Outback 3.6r Touring
159 Posts
I do have the koni yellow insert swap on my previous gen legacy and feels amazing with my RCE springs. I did inquire about using the inserts with the outback housings but they're a bit longer than the Legacy shocks up front. If you run a full legacy shock front and back, it's would work. I don't know how the rsr will pear and if they're too tall for that combo.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nor*Cal;539774If you run a full legacy shock front and back said:
Yeah, only one way to find out....

I would like to see a 2018 Legacy and WRX STI F&R Shock side by side too...

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
So, been doing a lot of research on the Gen5 Outback. Seems that as others have mentioned, a rear brake swap while keeping the E-ebrake is a no go. Interesting though, while looking into a front brake swap, I came across a Cadillac/Brembo Caliper swap that seems to be popular in the legacy/WRX community. Seems like a very cost effective option.
I did come across some good information in the Legacy Forums regarding suspension. It seems that if someone wanted to go with a Legacy Shock swap, you can do a Koni insert in the front and generic Koni Sports for the rear. I am trying to find out the possibility of using this set up with RSR springs.
Other things in the works too, which include a pretty sleek set of wheel too.
I looked into the CTS-V swap as well, its so dang cheap you'd be stupid not too, but I would urge you to watch these two videos:
This first one is a review who shows how to install them (on his WRX) and the second video is his review after 1 year, which highlights some of the major cons to this upgrade, instead of using say, the STI's brembos.
I think it should help you decision if you wanted to go into the CTS-V calipers that way you can preemptively prepare for the things he mentions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
I like your plans, are you planning to paint/wrap the plastic moldings or remove them?

I've thought about using the Legacy bumper for exhaust cut outs when I trade the 2.5 in for the 3.6, or use a beat up WRX diffuser and run quad exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interested to hear you reviews on the springs. Love the outback but the wheel gap (I know, it was designed that way for ride clearance) is huge. I want to reduce this without changing ride dynamics. I think my other option is getting some bigger tires. Here is mine with STI BBS wheels.

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
I have the front STI brakes installed and love them.
Not to hijack the thread, but what all parts do you need for the STI front brakes? calipers from an '08+ or '13+ or so and bracket and that's it?

Also - in for hearing how the RS-R springs sit / install goes. Probably going this route myself eventually.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was a straight forward caliper swap. I used OEM Brembo pads on the front and kept the stock rear pads. I used Stoptech slotted rotors for the swap. I wanted to replace the lines but the ones I got didn't thread on smoothly so I gave up on it and just kept the stock lines too.

What pads are you thinking of using?

straight forward caliper swap? Did you replace the lines? which pads did you go with and did you match the rear pads to the fronts?

TIA

1 - 20 of 50 Posts