Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is great. Thank you. Question: How do I go about finding and buying the technical service manual? (Paper? Download? Both?)

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
How do I go about finding and buying the technical service manual? (Paper? Download? Both?)
Download from https://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html ($34.95 for 3 days full access). The full Factory Service Manual comprises more than 1,200 individual PDF files, but there are shell scripts available on this forum and elsewhere to automate the download process, for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Buy service manual on ebay for $16 as a download.
That's what I did yesterday for $14.95. Lots of individual PDFs. Seems suitable for me. I hope to remove part of my rear cargo area to sound proof. It shows the steps and where the clips and screws are located.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks like you can download the entire 2018 owners manuals in complete form at mysubaru.com. Downloading now, I'll let you know if it's a false alarm.

https://www.mysubaru.com/resource/manuals.html

p.s. It works, but that link might require a mysubaru.com login to access.

p.p.s. Sorry if this was one of those things everybody but me already knew. All I had found so far were the crazy individual chapter pdf downloads.

·
Registered
312 Posts
you can download all the manuals from techinfo.subaru.com - select "online reference", then on the next page, check "owners manual" for publication type, select which year and vehicle you want (through 2018) and then download the one you want. (owners manuals, accessory installation manuals, etc. have always been free on that site)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like you can download the entire 2018 owners manuals in complete form at mysubaru.com. Downloading now, I'll let you know if it's a false alarm.

https://www.mysubaru.com/resource/manuals.html

p.s. It works, but that link might require a mysubaru.com login to access.

p.p.s. Sorry if this was one of those things everybody but me already knew. All I had found so far were the crazy individual chapter pdf downloads.
It was useful to me and yes, it did require my login.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Easy index???

For the past 2 yrs I've had an easy index page that I'd open and it would link me to any 2015 owners manual section that I selected. Now I seem to have lost the page. The bookmark that I used no longer goes there. Have I forgotten something?????

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you guys carry the owner's manuals with you in your car? My glove box holds next to nothing with all of them in there. I'm going on a long road trip and could use the space. I guess I could put the pdf manuals on my IPad. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you guys carry the owner's manuals with you in your car? My glove box holds next to nothing with all of them in there. I'm going on a long road trip and could use the space. I guess I could put the pdf manuals on my IPad. Just thinking out loud.
Yes, because road trips are the only time Momma reads the manual, to stave off boredom. ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I can buy a 3 day subscription to Subaru Technical Information System and then download the full service manual in pdf?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
As I understand, you download 100s of pdf files all one at a time. It would take three full days. No thank you.

Subaru wants to discourage you from doing so. I suspect Subaru occasionally updates or revises these files as needed and wants them fresh to the tech.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
As I understand, you download 100s of pdf files all one at a time. It would take three full days. No thank you.
Your choice, certainly. But it appears ... unverified ... that each FSM is now available for download as a single large PDF file.

Back when I downloaded the FSM, several years ago, it comprised more than 1200 individual PDF files. I, like many others, just automated the process using a command shell script and let it run for slightly more than 24 hours. I then spent the next two days browsing the STIS site and manually downloading applicable TSBs and technician training materials. At $35 for three days access it is an outstanding value, IMO.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Your choice, certainly. But it appears ... unverified ... that each FSM is now available for download as a single large PDF file.

Back when I downloaded the FSM, several years ago, it comprised more than 1200 individual PDF files. I, like many others, just automated the process using a command shell script and let it run for slightly more than 24 hours. I then spent the next two days browsing the STIS site and manually downloading applicable TSBs and technician training materials. At $35 for three days access it is an outstanding value, IMO.
I know nothing about a command shell script. Like many people, I never studied any sort of computer programing. Never needed to do so. Just me I guess. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Subaru of America should loan everyone who orders a car, a complete set of manuals to read prior to delivery. With all the features these cars have there is no way your salesman can get you up to speed on what you need want to know. Unless you spend the other half of the day with him going over everything. Instead of being told "don't touch that button or leave this setting alone" you'll have a clue what most things do before you show up to pick up your car. That would be good customer service. Well Outbackers would a set of manuals made your life easier?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
43 Participants
Secerator
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing