Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree new owners need some instructions before taking their new OB in the wild real world, but I found the instructional videos on YouTube much easier to understand than the manuals. While test driving the Ascent yesterday, the salesman was trying to demonstrate the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) to my wife. We never really got there because asking a driver without any ACC experience to suddenly trust their life to a computer is a bit much.

Not until I saw the ACC demonstrated on a Outback YouTube instruction video did I really understand how to the system work. Watching it on video gave me enough trust to try it.

I suggested the instructional videos to the salesman and he responded by admitting that their sales team recently used the videos for learning the Tailgate Pin Code system because the manuals were confusing.

Beary

·
Registered
572 Posts
I forgot about those videos. I used them as well. Most are very good too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Instead of saying what does this button do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Subaru of America should loan everyone who orders a car, a complete set of manuals to read prior to delivery. With all the features these cars have there is no way your salesman can get you up to speed on what you need want to know. Unless you spend the other half of the day with him going over everything. Instead of being told "don't touch that button or leave this setting alone" you'll have a clue what most things do before you show up to pick up your car. That would be good customer service. Well Outbackers would a set of manuals made your life easier?
My salesperson spent over an hour showing us the car upon delivery and helping us to set up various settings. There were offers of further assistance as well. Thought this was typical Subaru dealer new car service.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My salesperson spent over an hour showing us the car upon delivery and helping us to set up various settings. There were offers of further assistance as well. Thought this was typical Subaru dealer new car service.
Yes my salesman was very helpful & he offered more help. Just saying going over the car from front to rear took a lot of time on top of the time with the finance guy. It would have taken all day to get home with the car had I not done my own research.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Subaru of America should loan everyone who orders a car, a complete set of manuals to read prior to delivery. With all the features these cars have there is no way your salesman can get you up to speed on what you need want to know. Unless you spend the other half of the day with him going over everything. Instead of being told "don't touch that button or leave this setting alone" you'll have a clue what most things do before you show up to pick up your car. That would be good customer service. Well Outbackers would a set of manuals made your life easier?

Without the actual car to compare to what you've read and the ability to immediately apply what you've read you are really wasting your time with the manuals. Wait until it arrives.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why does it seem nearly impossible to find the actual recommended service intervals for the Gen 5? I'm not talking about what a dealership recommends, that is often quite different from what is actually written in the manual. And it varies from dealer to dealer. Even the warranty booklet I found online at Subaru mentions that the maintenance intervals are listed on the back of that booklet however online it is not viewable. I don't have a warranty booklet in my stash of Subaru manuals that came with the car. It's possible I lost it but I can't recall ever seeing one.

Anyone have a link yet?

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Why does it seem nearly impossible to find the actual recommended service intervals for the Gen 5?
You can download a copy of the correct Warranty & Maintenance Guide for your Outback from the MySubaru.com web site: Home -> Service -> Warranty Info -> Warranty and Maintenance Booklet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can download a copy of the correct Warranty & Maintenance Guide for your Outback from the MySubaru.com web site: Home -> Service -> Warranty Info -> Warranty and Maintenance Booklet.
Perfect. I went about it from a different direction, albeit on the Subaru site, but was Finding incomplete information.
Thks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is a link for 2015 Outback FSM

Hope it helps.
Thanks. I downloaded it even although I don't yet have our 2019. Presumably many things will be the same. Maybe someone will find the FSM for for the 2018/9.

Just had a quick look at the FSM. Is there some sort of an index or search method? It's a bit confusing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Morning

New owner here. Today I went to techinfo.subaru.com to purchase a 72-hour subscription and downloadd the 2019 OB service manual. Right after I entered my cc and right before I clicked 'Complete' I noticed a line that read:

You are limited to downloading 50 pdf documents per hour.

Needless to say, I am not prepared to babysit this thing. Can someone confirm that there is indeed a single pdf download that will get me the entire service manual before I do this?

Thanks
Bryce

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good Morning

New owner here. Today I went to techinfo.subaru.com to purchase a 72-hour subscription and downloadd the 2019 OB service manual. Right after I entered my cc and right before I clicked 'Complete' I noticed a line that read:

Needless to say, I am not prepared to babysit this thing. Can someone confirm that there is indeed a single pdf download that will get me the entire service manual before I do this?

Thanks
Bryce
I posted this in another thread:

When I went to techinfo.subaru.ca, it didn't even list the 2019 Outback.

When I went to techinfo.subaru.com, it listed the service manual for the 2019 Outback, but it did not show the down arrow indicating it could be downloaded.

I had not registered on the .com site (because I live in Canada). Not sure if that is why the manual could not be downloaded. It was, it seemed, a single download. There were of course many other downloads available for other documents, but most not of interest.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Bryce (brake16),

Yes, the full Service Manual is in a single file on the techinfo.subaru.com site. I purchased the three day subscription a few weeks ago and downloaded the Service Manual, Body Manual (also a single large file), Last six months of TSBs, and a few months of the TechInfo Newsletters to dealerships. All told it was only 25 documents and was less than 500 MB in total. It took me about two hours on an old-style DSL connection (~10Mb/s). If you have very fast internet (>100Mb/s), you should be able to get all you need in less than a half hour.

The single file Service Manual is very nice as it is bookmarked and cross referenced. You just click on a section and start right into it. If they reference another section or specific procedure elsewhere, you click that reference and are taken right to it. It is very easy to use compared to the old collection of hundreds of separate PDFs.

So that you don't have to sort through lots of documents in the search results, I might recommend you do the document search using your car's VIN. That way, you only get document search results that actually apply to your car.

John

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
43 Participants
Secerator
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing