Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Ltd MR/Nav & 2019 3.6R Ltd Pkg24
254 Posts
I found this guy selling 2019 Outback service manual (complete as described on their website) for $90. They will compile everything and send a link to you.
I must be missing something. Why would anyone spend $90 with someone in another country who downloaded the manual from Subaru as opposed to simply downloading it yourself from the same place he got it from and spending only $35? Subaru charges $35 for the download (plus lots more than just the manuals) as detailed in this thread.

The official Subaru copy is already "compiled", bookmarked, and cross-referenced, and can be selected by VIN as I mentioned above. It already contains all the features he is touting. I fail to see what is gained for the more than double the price. His claim that only he can deliver in PDF format is clearly wrong. The Subaru manuals are always supplied in downloaded PDF format already. The North American manuals from the official Subaru TechInfo site are delivered as a single PDF file. All wiring diagrams are of course included in the official manual. I am not sure why he implies otherwise.

<soapbox mode on>
Anyone is of course free to buy bootleg copies of copyrighted material from eBay or any other source but I think Subaru's pricing of $35 is more than reasonable. Paying nearly three times that to get it from an unofficial source seems really odd to me.
<soapbox mode off>

John

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
I found this guy selling 2019 Outback service manual (complete as described on their website) for $90. They will compile everything and send a link to you.
Why??? ... when you can download a legal copy (and a whole lot more) in PDF format direct from Subaru for $35 (72 hours access)???

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Ah, thats's part I missed. I thought you have limited access and unable to download. Thanks for the info

There is a time limit, $35/72 hours. There are different prices and longer time limits available, but in 72 hours you can download a boatload of 'stuff'.

Bill

·
Premium Member
White 2019 Touring 3.6R, Silver 2015 Forester Touring 2.5i
26 Posts
There is a time limit, $35/72 hours. There are different prices and longer time limits available, but in 72 hours you can download a boatload of 'stuff'.

Bill
That's what I did with my Forester. I got the whole owners manual and shop manual. I think it's the best way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was there a 50th Anniversary Brochure? I picked up the printed 2018 Outback brochure, didn't see a 50th Anniversary one. My color is the 'Heritage Blue Pearl' is not even in the 2018 brochure. It was only the 50th Anniversary models....no printed material. Can anybody confirm...?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
49 Posts
I just purchased the 72 hours but there is not arrow to download the 2018 2.5 Service manual? I can download updates/corrections to the service manual, but not the manual itself. Am I doing something wrong? There are many files without the arrow.

Edit: nevermind, the payment did not go through the first time.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
72 Posts
... The North American manuals from the official Subaru TechInfo site are delivered as a single PDF file....
Reading both here and the CrossTrek forum, there are conflicting reports/comments of how downloads from the Tech Info site work. Some comments say many, separate downloads to get the full Service Manual and some say it's one, single download. The Tech Info site currently still says a limit of 50 downloads per hour, but does not state if the Service Manual is a single download.

Question:
Does anyone have recent experience of how Subaru is operating the site, and can say definitively if the FSM is downloadable as one, single download?

(I'm not talking about the Owner's Manual - that's very different and can be had for free at MySubaru)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Reading both here and the CrossTrek forum, there are conflicting reports/comments of how downloads from the Tech Info site work. Some comments say many, separate downloads to get the full Service Manual and some say it's one, single download. The Tech Info site currently still says a limit of 50 downloads per hour, but does not state if the Service Manual is a single download.

Question:
Does anyone have recent experience of how Subaru is operating the site, and can say definitively if the FSM is downloadable as one, single download?

(I'm not talking about the Owner's Manual - that's very different and can be had for free at MySubaru)

Thanks.
both are available. when you pay and logon, many people go straight to the section that says Service Diagnostics.... that's the online manual (Which is where I am guessing they are downloading the sections one at a time).

If you spend some of your time in the Online Reference section, anything found there can be downloaded once you login... if you don't have a login, you can still search that section, but only some of the free stuff (like user manuals and accessory installation guides) are available for download.... everything will show up in your search, you just won't have the little icon with a link to download anything.

You can download multiple things at the same time - EXCEPT - for multiple service manuals (not sure why). Have to wait till one service manual is finished, and then start the next one... other stuff, like TSBs and TRBs and whatever else can be downloaded in parallel.

The service manuals are all single PDF files, and have links and bookmarks built in already.

When you get access, don't bother with the home page or the service diagnostics section. Go straight to the Online Reference section that you can see today, but haven't unlocked your download links yet (have to pay to unlock those achievements).

Don't bother putting your VIN in there, it gives mixed results. Just choose year, model and submodel to filter. The results you can sort by date descending (easiest). For other stuff, like if you want to see all the service manuals, just select the checkbox for service manual, don't fill anything in, hit search, in the results window sort date descending like so (note: I don't currently have access, so I can search, but I can't download :) )

here is an example, I just searched for accessory installation guides, didn't put any vehicle information in, and then in the results filtered using OUTBACK and then sort date descending. Note: I can download this stuff, it's free... (hovering over the download link gives a pop up description, clicking it downloads the PDF). Might be worth checking the site now, see if you can download these free things easily before paying for access (like make sure you browser is downloading PDFs instead of trying to view them inline, and so on).

Here is the help page explaining the service diagnostics... people that don't spend much time in the system get access, see the new and exciting section, and head right for it. Don't waste your time there at first.... get the PDFs you want, then circle back and explore that section. Go to the Online Reference section first. Download your service manual first thing. THEN look around.

Here is a search you can do right now, prior to paying for access.... once you have access, you can download these two. Put your year, model and submodel, select Service Manual and then search.... results are what you would download.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
72 Posts
both are available. when you pay and logon, many people go straight to the section that says Service Diagnostics.... that's the online manual (Which is where I am guessing they are downloading the sections one at a time).

If you spend some of your time in the Online Reference section, anything found there can be downloaded once you login... if you don't have a login, you can still search that section, but only some of the free stuff (like user manuals and accessory installation guides) are available for download.... everything will show up in your search, you just won't have the little icon with a link to download anything.

You can download multiple things at the same time - EXCEPT - for multiple service manuals (not sure why). Have to wait till one service manual is finished, and then start the next one... other stuff, like TSBs and TRBs and whatever else can be downloaded in parallel.

The service manuals are all single PDF files, and have links and bookmarks built in already.

When you get access, don't bother with the home page or the service diagnostics section. Go straight to the Online Reference section that you can see today, but haven't unlocked your download links yet (have to pay to unlock those achievements).

Don't bother putting your VIN in there, it gives mixed results. Just choose year, model and submodel to filter. The results you can sort by date descending (easiest). For other stuff, like if you want to see all the service manuals, just select the checkbox for service manual, don't fill anything in, hit search, in the results window sort date descending like so (note: I don't currently have access, so I can search, but I can't download :) ) View attachment 474182

here is an example, I just searched for accessory installation guides, didn't put any vehicle information in, and then in the results filtered using OUTBACK and then sort date descending. Note: I can download this stuff, it's free... (hovering over the download link gives a pop up description, clicking it downloads the PDF). Might be worth checking the site now, see if you can download these free things easily before paying for access (like make sure you browser is downloading PDFs instead of trying to view them inline, and so on).

View attachment 474183

Here is the help page explaining the service diagnostics... people that don't spend much time in the system get access, see the new and exciting section, and head right for it. Don't waste your time there at first.... get the PDFs you want, then circle back and explore that section. Go to the Online Reference section first. Download your service manual first thing. THEN look around.

View attachment 474184

Here is a search you can do right now, prior to paying for access.... once you have access, you can download these two. Put your year, model and submodel, select Service Manual and then search.... results are what you would download.

View attachment 474187
Walker,

THANK YOU for such a prompt, helpful, detailed reply! Great tip about checking that the browser would download, not view-only -- I've never heard of that and it would have driven me nuts if the clock was ticking on the limited-time subscription. Downloaded it late last night.

It took quite a while for either the download or the saving of it, I don't know enough about computers, software, or function of internet to know which. One thing I made sure of was that my computer wouldn't go to sleep during the process & screw up things.

For anyone reading this later, Subaru currently highly recommends using Internet Explorer. If you don't typically use, or know where Internet Explorer is and you use Windows 10...Open the Start Menu & go down to Windows Accessories. Click to open IE 11.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
274 Posts

Don't bother putting your VIN in there, it gives mixed results. Just choose year, model and submodel to filter. The results you can sort by date descending (easiest). For other stuff, like if you want to see all the service manuals, just select the checkbox for service manual, don't fill anything in, hit search, in the results window sort date descending like so (note: I don't currently have access, so I can search, but I can't download :) ) View attachment 474182

View attachment 474183

View attachment 474184

View attachment 474187
Wait, wait, wait. Now we dont need to have a computer program to download the full service manual with the correct sections?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
Wait, wait, wait. Now we dont need to have a computer program to download the full service manual with the correct sections?
The FSM is now available for download as a single PDF file.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
nope. It's been that way, just most people run to the new section that shows up. The release dates of the single PDF versions go back a ways on that site. Looks like many were released in 2010, and then each year since then (a few stragglers prior to 2010).

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
274 Posts
nope. It's been that way, just most people run to the new section that shows up. The release dates of the single PDF versions go back a ways on that site. Looks like many were released in 2010, and then each year since then (a few stragglers prior to 2010).
I had paid someone to write me program to download all the files individually back in 2016 and then paid the three day access to get the files. would love to have a single file that is more easily searched than my individual files.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts