Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New (first time subaru) owner of a 2010 Outback. The check engine, traction control, brake, cruise control lights all came on at once. Check engine and traction control are NOT blinking. The brake and cruise control ARE blinking.

Took it to autozone, said it had a small evap system leak I believe code 209. After researching this forum, I changed both the gas cap and evap canister and unplugged the battery for an hour to reset the codes. The lights went off.

Drove it around 60 miles, everything was fine no lights on so I took it to get emissions checked and it passed with no problems.

Drove it another 60 miles, all the lights are back on.

Can't imagine it would pass emissions and have an emissions control problem.

Do I perhaps need to reset the "computer" another way? Again, it passed emission check to get license plates.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
If you replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket cap, you'll need to trash it and get one from Subaru.

A small leak is just that, SMALL. Loose gas cap, bad seal on the cap, the cap is separating from years of use.

You didn't need a canister. A canister only leaks if it gets impacted. When there's a problem with the canister you'll get several EVAP codes related to vent malfunction, purge control, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I responded back to this on my iphone it must not have worked.

I used an OEM cap from a subaru dealer. So, considering its pretty unlike I got a "bad" brand new cap from a dealer, what else could the problem be? Again, it PASSED emsission check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reset it after I changed the cap. Drove 50 miles, lights stayed off, had it emission checked it passed. Drove it 50 more miles lights came back on.

Replaced the evap canister reset it, lights came back on after about 75 miles.

What is funny is it passed the emission check....

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
Depending on the state or county, it will pass with one monitor not ready. The one that was not ready was probably the EVAP.

You'll need to find a shop to smoke the system and/or check the vent valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on the state or county, it will pass with one monitor not ready. The one that was not ready was probably the EVAP.

You'll need to find a shop to smoke the system and/or check the vent valve.
Thats what I figured, just scheduled it. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts