Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a cheaper alternative to Weathertech / Husky as I did not want to spend 200 bucks on all weather mats.
After a bit of searching I found these "Motor Trend Deep Dish mats" for 30 bucks in Walmart. There were a few reviews and the price seemed too good to pass it on.

The mats seem good and have non skid rubber needles in the back. These are not custom made mats but are designed well to be customized using just a pair of scissors.
Front driver and passenger mats can be very easily customized in under 5 mins and provide a good snug fit.

The rear 1 piece mat with a section to go over the driveshaft hump is big for the outback. It took me around 30 mins to measure, cut to make it fit. Again cutting is very easy and the time taken is only to make sure that you do not over cut. After about 30 mins of measuring / cutting I was satisfied with the fit. It is probably not going to be as good a fit as weathertech / husky, but good enough and for 30 bucks I cant ask for more.
Here are some pics of the mats before cutting. And some pics after cutting and installing. For now it seems good.
I say for now because the real test will be for the rear mats when my girls abuse it with their dirty shoes / sandals / boots :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I wanted a cheaper alternative to Weathertech / Husky as I did not want to spend 200 bucks on all weather mats.
After a bit of searching I found these "Motor Trend Deep Dish mats" for 30 bucks in Walmart. There were a few reviews and the price seemed too good to pass it on.

The mats seem good and have non skid rubber needles in the back. These are not custom made mats but are designed well to be customized using just a pair of scissors.
Front driver and passenger mats can be very easily customized in under 5 mins and provide a good snug fit.

The rear 1 piece mat with a section to go over the driveshaft hump is big for the outback. It took me around 30 mins to measure, cut to make it fit. Again cutting is very easy and the time taken is only to make sure that you do not over cut. After about 30 mins of measuring / cutting I was satisfied with the fit. It is probably not going to be as good a fit as weathertech / husky, but good enough and for 30 bucks I cant ask for more.
Here are some pics of the mats before cutting. And some pics after cutting and installing. For now it seems good.
I say for now because the real test will be for the rear mats when my girls abuse it with their dirty shoes / sandals / boots :)
Floor mats, by definition, are wear items, so if you achieve the desired results for as cheap as feasible, that's usually a win.

You did a nice job of customizing these.:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Looks good! I'm not sure that I would be willing to put in significant work into a set of all weather mats. The Subaru ones are under $50 and seem to do the trick nicely.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Nice recommendation. I don't know what happened to the Outback all weather mats between 2014 and 2017, but it current ones are worthless IMHO. I recently traded in my 2014 OB which had decent mats that had thickness and fairly deep grooves to catch water and dirt. The mats that came with my '17 OB are flimsy and have almost no grooves so water will run right off into the carpets beneath.

Looks like I'll be investing in something like Weathertech soon...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good work. Looks almost custom. I wanted good fit for mine, particularly in the back, so I bit the bullet and went with Weathertech.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
Good work. Looks almost custom. I wanted good fit for mine, particularly in the back, so I bit the bullet and went with Weathertech.
Did you receive these yet? How do they fit? I have weathertech in my last car and I loved them. They got filthy, my car did not (except under the gas pedal due to snowboot/salt drips). Now my OB came with all weather mats but I don't think they look like they cover as much as weathertech might.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
I got a complete set of weather tech in my 18 and I love them. Covers everything and keeps the mud and water contained. Very easy to clean as well

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i with eyesight & nav.
63 Posts
You got great coverage on the back seat mats, well done. Can't beat the price!

My birthday is soon and I've only had my '18 Outback about 2-3 weeks so I splurged and bought huskys today. They emailed me a 15% off coupon code SAVE15 that is good thru 9/25. I keep my cars a really long time, so I hope tom get my money's worth out of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you receive these yet? How do they fit? I have weathertech in my last car and I loved them. They got filthy, my car did not (except under the gas pedal due to snowboot/salt drips). Now my OB came with all weather mats but I don't think they look like they cover as much as weathertech might.
The rear one fits really well. The driver's side one rises a bit near the fuel door release.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts