Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... My wife is on board to look and drive the outback and forester (She knows I want the OB). Here is what I need to know:

1. Is the MPG really not as good in the Manual?
2. For anyone who has pets, how is the pet barrier that is an option?
3. How cool is it to drive a Subaru?:D

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
HA HA

Yes as wild as it sounds in most cases todays Automatics are more efficient than the MT. Under standard driving efforts that is. Some MT drivers who are probably more in tune with whats going on with the car can return some pretty impressive numbers but in general the AT's are returning higher numbers for your every day drivers. Pretty wild but yes that is the case today.

The barrier sort of depends on your dog. Really the right approach is a harness on the dog and having them clipped in so they stay with the car if worst case you get in an accident. Also if you can train your dog that they are to lay in their bed or on a large blanket then they can be packed in the back with other stuff. My Doberman loves going everywhere with us and he isn't very comfortable till he is wedged into his bed in a manner that he doesn't slide around etc. This works great for trips given we will pack gear on the floor and toss his bed ontop of that gear and he will wedge him self in and be happy as a clam.
Couple of trips in our truck loaded to the max people have laughed at the last loading effort which is the rear window down and me lifting the dog and holding him as he wiggles and crawls into his bed and gets him self sorted out. LOL

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
I recently did a ~300 mile round trip to the mountain and back. I didn't have my roof rack on, just threw my board in the back. I used less than a half tank of gas... The onboard computer said I averaged around 32mpg. I have a '12 Outback Premium with the 6 speed. I used Shell 87 Octane, and averaged around 65-70 whenever possible. With 3 bikes on the roof, and averaging around 70 on the interstate, I'll get around 25.

I wouldn't drive anything else. :) Back in December, I was in Yosemite when they got around a foot of snow in a few hours. They closed one of the roads, because the plows couldn't keep up. Finally, the park rangers let myself and a Jeep go "test drive" the road. With a foot of unplowed powder on top of hardpack snow and stock tires, the Sub acted like it was barely even there. One of my favorite memories behind the wheel.

Sorry, I'm no help with the pet barrier.

I think you guys would be happy either way. The 2014 Foresters look amazing, but so do the 2013 Outbacks with the restyled front end. The Outback is a little bigger, and felt more solid than the forester, but it's also more expensive (for similarly equipped cars). I think you guys will be happy either way, just go test drive both and see what you like. They're similar in quite a few ways, but they're also completely different beasts. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
1. Is the MPG really not as good in the Manual?
Assume EPA highway mileage and gasoline @ $3.50 per gallon:

6MT: $3.50 per gal / 28 mpg hwy = $0.125/mile
CVT: $3.50 per gal / 30 mpg hwy = $0.117/mile

CVT: fuel savings = $0.008/mile

CVT break-even = $1000 / $0.008 = 125,000 miles

Also, depending on interest rates and sales taxes, the CVT's
small mpg advantage might never reach a break-even point.

...a grand in the hand...

Looby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I want to enjoy driving it and the 6 speed I think will do it. My wife has the final say on it but BIG thanks. $1000 over the life of the car is not bad. It is hearing about the choice that is.

Can't wait to see what I can get. BTW... Our Bull Terrier loves riding in a crate in the back, but I was thinking about the barrier instead. We will see. The dealer told me that the factory one is HEAVY and my thought was to see what you guys thought.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Good luck with the shopping. Fortunately, my wife likes the Imprezas and let's me get the Outbacks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny... My wife likes driving my Altima but with a new car, she will want to drive it. I just want to have fun, enjoy road trips and have space.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hey Little tip on the extras!
Don't buy them through the dealer unless the dealer throws them in for free as part of the negotiation.

The online subaru parts stores can sell the pet grate to you for a steeper discount than the dealer can.

Yes its heavy!
I also often fold down the short half in some cases for long items which case the grate would be a big pain.

Take your crate with you and do a test fit - if the dog likes the crate keep doing that!!! Keeps the car cleaner and keeps the dog safe. Also cheaper than the grate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was planning on it! She loves it and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I picked Subaru for a number of reasons and ruled out cars that could not fit the crate.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
We have the factory-installed pet barrier and use it almost every day. It's a quality-made heavy-duty unit that's rather easy to remove/install. Just involves a few big knobs.

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
Assume EPA highway mileage and gasoline @ $3.50 per gallon:

6MT: $3.50 per gal / 28 mpg hwy = $0.125/mile
CVT: $3.50 per gal / 30 mpg hwy = $0.117/mile

CVT: fuel savings = $0.008/mile

CVT break-even = $1000 / $0.008 = 125,000 miles

Also, depending on interest rates and sales taxes, the CVT's
small mpg advantage might never reach a break-even point.

...a grand in the hand...

Looby
Great point. Totally forgot about the price difference...

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
MT does lack a few things though. Glad I got the Limited made the wife happy oddly enough the duel climate control system was her big thing and now I'm very happy we have it. LOL

I also found the electronic throttle response in the 2010 made the MT feel really lethargic on hill starts even with an empty car. Just made it a deal breaker for someone who lives in SF and hauls boats up boat ramps. Just couldn't see it working very well.

Be sure you test drive one and find a steep hill to do a hill start on if you can. I hear the 2013's have much better throttle response than the 10's but it was something that both of us saw as a problem right away after living with two 5spd MT's for 11yrs.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Do you remember the cost?
Right at $300. The barriers are really nice but spendy. A crate is the best method of transport but takes up big space. One issue with the crate is ventilation. The air in the back can get pretty stale without any windows open. Not practical in hot climates. The 2013 Limiteds have rear heat/AC vents which help a lot. We use the OEM barrier when transporting our dogs. Check here for a bit more info. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...52999-subaru-2013-cargo-pet-gate-removal.html

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
MT does lack a few things though. Glad I got the Limited ...

I also found the electronic throttle response in the 2010 made the
MT feel really lethargic on hill starts even with an empty car....
Ltd. lacks textile upholstery -- much preferred by SWMBO. I can
live with either leather or cloth, depending heavily on the quality
of the leather. Crappy leather is often a deal breaker (for me), but
it's her car, so we didn't bother looking at the leather -- especially
since that would also rule out the manual trans.

Throttle response in our 2011 feels absolutely normal, nothing in
the least bit unusual about it. The only thing that I find non-typical
about the transmission is the tall gearing selection. Every other
(3, 4, 5, or 6) MT that I've owned was set up to reach max speed
in top gear; the Soobie can't get anywhere near its top speed in
6th, and acceleration in 6th is laughably anemic -- at any speed.

Took a little adjustment to drive it like a 4MT (plus 2 overdrives),
but that's fine -- brings back memories of our old 356B Super-90.

The only things we miss in the Prem. are automatic temperature
control (don't care about dual), and keyless/fobless entry & start
(which weren't available on any 2011 OB). Don't give a rat's rump
about BT, HK, NAV, EyeSight, or authentic imitation wood trim.

...OTOH, I must admit ours was seriously lacking in OTD $$$,

Looby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took out both CTV and 6 speed yesterday along with a Forester. I noticed something that the reviews said and not sure how to address it... RADIO sucks. The base radio does not seem to have the power and Sirius radio option. My wife does not want me to do any adding of external Sirius, so I need to see if the HK system is an option. Anyone have one in the Premium? How does it sound?

I liked the Forester's moonroof too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts