Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have stated before, I had always bought and wrenched on used Toyota's and driven them into the ground. I picked up my 2010 3.6R OB about two months ago (has 255,000km on the clock) and have since put about 7,000km on it. I had always wondered what the hype was around Subaru's and why people loved them so much and now I think I have been bitten by that same bug.

My OB car has not been without its issues aside from fixing what needed to be fixed when I purchased it (windshield. mirror, control arm bushings). It needed a new coil pack last month and it currently needs a wheel bearing, a bank 1 catalytic converter, front sway bar bushings and it has a super slow a/c leak that somehow won't show up anywhere with UV dye. It has a leaky engine (upper oil pan and leaking drivers side head gasket) and lacks the reliability of past Toyota's I have had. Yet somehow I just love driving it around and it keeps me smiling. It is extremely comfortable yet likes to be pushed in the corners, it makes long drives enjoyable and is very capable on steep gavel driveways and the H6 is a very fun and powerful engine.

People complain about how hard plugs and valve cover gaskets are to do on this engine (I agree) but the trade off is how easy and accessible everything else is like power steering pump, a/c compressor and alternator, it is all right at the front of the engine. On top of this the support online from forums such as this as well as YT make DIY wrenching on these cars much easier.

I'm looking into replacing my '05 awd Vibe in the next year or so and I keep finding myself looking at 4th gen 3.6R Legacy's. I always liked having multiple cars that share the same chassis as it makes every so much more simple and I really am impressed with the power of the EZ36D relative to the weight of the Outback/Legacy. The other benefit is that since the EZ36D is such a fairly reliable engine there are a ton of them with relatively low mileage that can be bought from wreckers. Plus Subaru makes engine swaps extremely easy since the whole engine harness can be separated from the chassis with one large connector (aaaamazing). I think the 3.6R Legacy is a bit of a sleeper and can look classy with some aftermarket wheels and an aftermarket exhaust so you can hear the amazing sounds of the H6.

Anyways, I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is that has me wanting to stick with Subaru but I can say that I think I finally get why many of you really love them and have had so many in your past. I think I'll be part of the Subaru family for a while (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
We bought a 2015 Outback in Wilderness Green brand new and still love it. Had my 2006 Corolla totaled, got hit by someone that liked my side of the road better, just 2 weeks ago. But we loved out Outback so much we just got a 2nd Outback, a used 2019, so we now have His and Her Outbacks.
69755470_2904945892853445_6644214205324984320_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Anyways, I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is that has me wanting to stick with Subaru but I can say that I think I finally get why many of you really love them and have had so many in your past. I think I'll be part of the Subaru family for a while.
Toyotas are reliable, predictable, maintainable, not prone to surprises, and ..... boring.

Subarus are some of the above. Except the parts about "not prone to surprises" and "boring" - it seems like every recent Subaru generation in every drivetrain configuration has had some element of the unknown to it that isn't exposed to us until a few years of age or tens of thousands of miles. Some of it is just quirky, some is a big deal.

DIYers as a group appreciate all of this and just roll with it, because of the other advantages that Subaru brings to the table. Non-DIYers tend to fall away the second, third, or fourth time a big deal comes up.

I don't know you, but I think I do know which group you fall into.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIYers as a group appreciate all of this and just roll with it, because of the other advantages that Subaru brings to the table. Non-DIYers tend to fall away the second, third, or fourth time a big deal comes up.

I don't know you, but I think I do know which group you fall into.
I think you are spot on. They are not without their issues but many can be fixed relatively easily and fairly inexpensively. Yes CVT issues and new short blocks are not cheap diy or otherwise, but if a buyer goes into a deal knowing the potential risk and pays accordingly then they likely won't be let down.

I personally wouldn't pay the high used market prices many think Subaru's are worth as I don't think their reliability record is worthy of it. Hence why I look for neglected rock bottom ones that i can make nice again.

New Subaru's on the other hand are priced very well relative to their competition making them very appealing. I'm just not the type of person to but new...to much of a financial hit driving it off the lot.

Toyota's are reliable, but you are definitely correct that they are boring. I didn't think I cared about that in a commuter car but after having the OB for a couple months I think it means more to me than I thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We bought a 2015 Outback in Wilderness Green brand new and still love it. Had my 2006 Corolla totaled, got hit by someone that liked my side of the road better, just 2 weeks ago. But we loved out Outback so much we just got a 2nd Outback, a used 2019, so we now have His and Her Outbacks.
View attachment 470681
I think 'His' needs to be lifted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
1911tex
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing