Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I still havent found my OBS. I do have a few in my sights though.
I have heard a lot of people say that the 99-01's are better than the 97-98's...WHY?

I saw that they updated the engine a little (5hp?) and made some refinements to the trans.

For a 98 and a 99 in the same condition, same mileage, etc... is the 99 worth $2000 more???

What should I look for when buying a 99 model?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Well, I 'think' the only real difference is the extra HP in those 2. I would imagine the difference in price is more likely just due to the extra year depreciation of the 98 rather than an adjustment for more HP in the 99. I really like the look of both of those with the hood scoops.

Things I would look for are if the timing belt has been changed yet and get the oil and crank seals checked. Depending on mileage you might want to have these done right after you get it if they have not been done already. Maybe ask them them to knock some $$ off the price if it hasn't been done. I think changing the timing belt and redoing the seals is about 500-600 at a dealership.

I think I have said this here before, but I have often seen the 2.2L described as the best engine Subaru has made.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I totally agree with the Brew Master! Take a look at the engine oil seals and the cam/timing belt. Take the car that you like the most to a mechanic/dealer and have them look it over and tell you what is wrong.

With minimal tools you could change the belt and seals yourself. Of course having a reputible mechanic to it could be worth the guarantee of workmanship.

I am able to change my timing belt and front main seal in my driveway in about 2 hours. The need to change the cam seals hasn't come about yet. The belt should be changed out @ 60k miles if I'm not mistaken.

One reason I decided to do the belt myself was the $350 price at the dealership.

Good luck!

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Thanks for the advice.

I have a '98 with 149k miles and a '99 with 60k miles that I'm going to be looking at when I get back to the states. I'm leaning towards the '99 for the obvious reason.:)

However, I though I read somewhere that there were a few small changes between 98 and 99. Engine, Trans and MAP refinements? And also they changed the interior a little bit. I agree that the hood scoop really makes that car though.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Not sure about the MAP issue, but the HP increase was for the 99s and up and according to cars101.com some "transmission refinements."

Have a safe trip back to the States.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the HP increase had to do with changing from DOHC to SOHC, sometime in mid-model 2000. I think they also change from MAF to MAP at some point, I forget the details.

Mine is a 2000 w/~40K. I'm pretty happy, but I wish abought an auto. AWD is better controlled in the autos, and youdon't have the clutch shudder that is inherent to these cars.

Good luck. I like the look of the Pre 02 Imprezas the best, as well...

tbert

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Blue Ridge OBS said:
Not sure about the MAP issue, but the HP increase was for the 99s and up and according to cars101.com some "transmission refinements."

Wow, can you really increase engine horsepower with a transmission refinement? What kind of crap is that? Impossible, you can make a vehicle faster, but not make it have more HP. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Brian, not sure of your point? Noone said they increased the HP via transmission changes. I was referring to www.cars101.com in which he says redesigned smoother transmissions were new for 1999 Imprezas with the 2.2L. In the 99s they also increased HP to 142 over the 137 previously. I was not suggesting that the tranny change resulted in more HP. :29:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
No, I wan't questioning you, I read into that sentence as Cars101 telling people that the HP increase was due to a transmission mod. I thought it was funny, the way you typed it in your reply had me believing they said the tranny was the reason for the HP increase, that's all. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Yeah, that's silly. Everyone knows that the real way to get more horsepower is to put more decals on the car.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Awesome, Peaty, awesome.:5:

Brian

·
Registered
181 Posts
:2:

LOL Peaty.

I hear "Type R" stickers add another 50 WHP......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts