Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and new to my 99 Outback, which I've inherited from a friend of mine who is upgrading to a 2009 2.5XT, which I found for her. I like driving this car, but the driver seat is not supportive nor high enough for me to drive any significant distance without being pretty uncomfortable. I've read most of the threads about the swapability between models, and from what I can tell, WRX seats, and later model outback seats use the same rails and are swappable. My specific questions are as follows:

What adjustment controls do the limited and later outback or other compatible electric seats have? (f/b, tilt, height,...)

Are there such a thing as power WRX seats?

Is the WRX seat bottom height the same as the OB original seats?

For anyone that has put an electric seat into this gen OB, can you verify that it is just simply a matter wiring into the fusebox and ground?

I very much appreciate all replies, especially from those of you that have done such swaps.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seats

The seats are too soft. Covering them will not change that. I need a more supportive seat, and being able to change the height and tilt would also be a big plus, but I don't know if that is available in something that will bolt up.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Majority of Subarus have the same harnesses so installing the options at the assembly line is easier. Look under the front seat's carpet and see if there is a harness under it. If so, you can install a power seat and just plug it in and install the fuse.

The multi adjustable seats from a 99 Outback should have adjustments identical to the electric seats, just without the motors. You could find them in salvage.

Another option is have them redone by an auto upholstery shop. New padding, springs, covers. They can even form the pads to how you want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alternate seats

Thanks very much for the info. I went the auto upholsterer route for my saab 9000 and it didn't work out very well.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bolt patterns

I have found electric leather seats from 2001 and 2002 Outbacks, but nowhere can I ascertain if the bolt patterns for those years are the same as my 1999. Can anyone definitively answer this question, and ideally what are the other years/models of Subarus that have the same bolt pattern as my 1999 Legacy Outback? Thanks.

David

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
what are the other years/models of Subarus that have the same bolt pattern as my 1999 Legacy Outback?
i know 90 - 01 are the same and i ASSUME 02 - 04, but i have not worked with those years. the 00 - 01 seats use one less bolt so put the third bolt back in and plug the hole. but the bolt holes they do have line up perfectly.

this is true for the front seats, not the rear. the rear seats have different mounting brackets and the holes do not line up. i do not know if the rear brackets will interchange, but i kind of doubt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts