Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2009 Outback with 17" stock wheels with the recommended 225 55 17 tire size. I've been looking at Michelin Defenders and stumbled upon two brand new sets for sale for a good price. The problem is neither are my original tire size. One set is 225 60 17 and the others are 215 55 17. Would either one of these sizes be a good fit? Most all of my driving is on paved roads. I'm in the Pac NW so I deal with rain and wet roads, but very little snow or ice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seems like the first one will give you a similar if not slightly quieter ride since there is a slightly larger air cushion.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
211 Posts
For the 2005 models, 215 55 17 is one of the recommended winter tire sizes for the turbo and 6 cylinder models. Not sure why it's not recommended for the 2.5 NA. Guessing the 2005 2.5 NA came with 16" wheels?

Recommended winter (snow) tire size
2.5-liter non-turbo models: P225/60R16 or P215/
60R16 Studless
All models other than 2.5-liter non-turbo models:
P215/55R17, P225/60R16 or P215/60R16 Studless

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just an update. Before I settled on either one of these sets of tires, I called two different Subaru dealerships and spoke with their parts dept. After explaining everything to them they conferred with another associate, came back and told me the 225 60 17 's would be fine. I don't fault them much, I half expected something to go sideways
I went and bought the 225 60 17 's . Got to the tire shop to have them mounted....they took one of the new tires and set it along side one of my front tires and it looked BIG. Erring on the side of caution, they only mounted one tire, put it on the front. They immediately saw that the struts and the tires would have gone to battle with each other and there would have been no winners. Luckily the person I bought the tires from let me exchange the first set for the smaller 215 55 17 set.....only after he got his fill of treating me like I was an idiot and cut me off every time I tried to explain what happened. No good deed goes unpunished! Bottom line 4 brand new Defenders (not quite the size I would have liked), and a verbal bashing, all for $375.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts