Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.5 and whenever I tighten the alternator belt enough to stop the squeaking, it ends up breaking a short while after. Like a few months. I have owned the car for almost 5 years and probably replaced the belt about 5 times cause they have broken. Anyone else have this issue or can help me to figure out what is the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Maybe your tensioner bearing is dragging a bit, bearing my be dry and have too much friction. Next time you could try replacing that also and see how you go. Is there any noise coming from it, to check give it a spin you will know because it wond turn smoothly.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
make sure the bolt head isn't dragging on the belt - I believe some folks were getting belts that are slightly too long and there was interference.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
There's no tensioner on the alt belt on a 2.5. . . the alternator is the tensioner. . . at least that's the case with USDM cars. Ozzies may get different kit on account of having to run upside down and all :)

AC belt uses the oddly-designed, easy-to-break tensioner.

Check pulley alignment with a straightedge. The brackets may be bent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have noticed that the bolt that tightens the tensioner part of the alternator is very close to the belt and may be running on it? I looked at it on a outback sport and the same bolt wasn't even close on his. So I don't understand that. I'll try and post a pic up later today.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
There's no tensioner on the alt belt on a 2.5. . . the alternator is the tensioner. . . at least that's the case with USDM cars. Ozzies may get different kit on account of having to run upside down and all :)

AC belt uses the oddly-designed, easy-to-break tensioner.

Check pulley alignment with a straightedge. The brackets may be bent.

maybe I have it wrong - maybe it is the A/C that has that long bolt deal.

sry.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I went and got a shorter belt and put it on yesterday so we will see how well it works. It's not even close to the tensioner bolt anymore so that's good.

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
I have noticed that the bolt that tightens the tensioner part of the alternator is very close to the belt and may be running on it? I looked at it on a outback sport and the same bolt wasn't even close on his. So I don't understand that. I'll try and post a pic up later today.
Is the alternator mounted properly to the brackets?????

Send a pic??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing