Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback, 2014 Forester
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '19 Outback Ltd my local AM/FM preset radio stations suddenly disappeared while I was on a roadtrip this week. The XM stations remained.
I can understand that once I depart my local broadcast area the radio won't pull in the station but would not the stored frequency remain?
Has this happened to anyone else or is just me?
Weird...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah it's happened to me twice in the month that I've had mine. I posted about it a couple days ago and a couple other people confirmed it's happened to them. I did a Google search and it appears that it's somewhat common. Read a few posts about it on the forester forum. Sadly, appears that the dealer doesn't have an answer from what I read.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's happened to me twice in the month that I've had mine. I posted about it a couple days ago and a couple other people confirmed it's happened to them. I did a Google search and it appears that it's somewhat common. Read a few posts about it on the forester forum. Sadly, appears that the dealer doesn't have an answer from what I read.
Thanks for responding.
When your presets disappeared was it when you were out of the broadcast range of the radio stations or was it just a sudden but random occurrence?
Like I said, my experience seemed to be related to a road trip but I suppose it could have been coincidental.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for responding.
When your presets disappeared was it when you were out of the broadcast range of the radio stations or was it just a sudden but random occurrence?
Like I said, my experience seemed to be related to a road trip but I suppose it could have been coincidental.

The first time it happened was on a road trip. The second time, I'm not sure. When I noticed it the second time, I had taken a road trip the previous week. So it's possible that the second time was the road trip as well and it just took me awhile to realize it.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Outback Limited
17 Posts
On my '19 Outback Ltd my local AM/FM preset radio stations suddenly disappeared while I was on a roadtrip this week. The XM stations remained.
I can understand that once I depart my local broadcast area the radio won't pull in the station but would not the stored frequency remain?
Has this happened to anyone else or is just me?
Weird...
This happened to me a few weeks ago when the OB 2.5 Ltd was not even 6 weeks old. Everything as fine when I parked in my garage the evening before. In the morning, all the AM and FM station presets were gone, the XM stations remained. I had to reset all the missing stations and of course I had only recently thrown out the paper where I wrote down those presets from the 2010 OB which I traded in.
I was at the dealer about a week later to pick up a check they owed me for an overcharge on some accessories (whole different story) and mentioned it to the sales assistant. He said he had never heard of this so I went to the service mgr.
He said he hadn’t experienced it nor was aware of it in any service bulletins but did make note of it in my service records.
Now I know it’s happened to others and wasn’t my imagination.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This happened to me a few weeks ago when the OB 2.5 Ltd was not even 6 weeks old. Everything as fine when I parked in my garage the evening before. In the morning, all the AM and FM station presets were gone, the XM stations remained. I had to reset all the missing stations and of course I had only recently thrown out the paper where I wrote down those presets from the 2010 OB which I traded in.
I was at the dealer about a week later to pick up a check they owed me for an overcharge on some accessories (whole different story) and mentioned it to the sales assistant. He said he had never heard of this so I went to the service mgr.
He said he hadn’t experienced it nor was aware of it in any service bulletins but did make note of it in my service records.
Now I know it’s happened to others and wasn’t my imagination.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Difficult to believe the service manager had never heard of this happening. They hear everything regardless of whether something is true or not.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
56 Posts
I got my 2019 a month and it happened to me once. I have 6 FM station and one XM and they were all erased. I remember at that time I was listening to my music via Android Auto, then switch back and see nothing there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my 2019 a month and it happened to me once. I have 6 FM station and one XM and they were all erased. I remember at that time I was listening to my music via Android Auto, then switch back and see nothing there.
I didn’t think of this before but I wonder if it’s an Android Auto related issue?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,166 Posts
Difficult to believe the service manager had never heard of this happening. They hear everything regardless of whether something is true or not.
I think they are trained to give that line no matter what the problem is. I think they would say that even if the person that left just before you got there had the exact same problem.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
603 Posts
I lost my radio presets once. I think I was using my phone and I disconnected my phone and found the radio presets gone. I now disconnect my phone in this manner. I shut off the engine by the push button & open & close the driver's door. Then I disconnect my phone. I still follow the same steps to disconnect my phone and I've had the head unit recall fixed. To me it's like your PC where you have a Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon on your taskbar. You press that button before pulling out USB sticks and disconnecting your phone from the PC so why not in your car? That's why I shut down and pop the door. That turns everything off and then I disconnect my phone or whatever without spiking the head unit's brain. I haven't found a Safely remove hardware button on the car's HU yet.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
199 Posts
Quickly...happened to me the other day (Wed). Black screen of death, upon restart radio again worked but no presets ex XM.

Wish I had a 'casset tapedeck' (LOL). Upon saying that, I do wish I could find a tapedeck for all those tapes left over from back in the day.

Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quickly...happened to me the other day (Wed). Black screen of death, upon restart radio again worked but no presets ex XM.

Wish I had a 'casset tapedeck' (LOL). Upon saying that, I do wish I could find a tapedeck for all those tapes left over from back in the day.

Bill
They used to have plug into your lighter, cassette players. You would program your radio to some unused frequency that the tape player used to be able to hear your tapes over the radio. It's Google or Duck Duck Go time for you.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
199 Posts
They used to have plug into your lighter, cassette players. You would program your radio to some unused frequency that the tape player used to be able to hear your tapes over the radio. It's Google or Duck Duck Go time for you.
Oh boy! I forgot all about those, and I even had one. Sucker worked well, fed into an FM station...pretty good sound (if ya had a decent radio and speakers).

Now, where is that Radio Shake...oh that's right>gone.

In all seriousness, I will do some Google work and see if I can come up with a DIY circuit. Who knows, maybe CCR will rock on in her '18 Outback.

Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't these cars have an auxillary jack in that small flip lid cubby in front? Maybe plug your cassette player into that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts