Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my old 4Runner, if the sunroof was open I would get a vibrating sound from the passenger seat belt. Snapping it shut solved that problem.

Now with my Outback (2.5 PZEV CVT), I've noticed that when I'm going 20 to 40 MPH or so, with the sunroof wide open, and it's quiet in the car (no radio, no wife), that there's a vibration/humming sound coming from the interior. Fairly high frequency (more of a treble sound than a bass), and I'm sure it's just some fabric or something going harmonic on me, but I can't for the life of me find it.

This happens when the roof is all the way open from the one touch open, and when the roof is open that extra inch from pushing the button again (secondary question: why do they have that "feature"?).

Just me?

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
It's called wind buffeting. Almost every car will do the same thing in the right circumstance. You open up a single air "intake" without giving the air anywhere to flow, it pulsates/buffets.

Try rolling down a window or two about an inch when you have the sunroof open. Should alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
It's called wind buffeting. Almost every car will do the same thing in the right circumstance. You open up a single air "intake" without giving the air anywhere to flow, it pulsates/buffets.

Try rolling down a window or two about an inch when you have the sunroof open. Should alleviate the problem.
This.

In our Jetta the sunroof has a "comfort" setting- if you turn the knob to open the roof it will open all but the last 2 inches. If you open the last two inches (by holding the switch) you will get horrible wind buffeting unless you open two of the windows.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I had this same issue with my '98 LGT wagon. The fix was cracking some windows, OR changing my vents from "recirculate" to "letting in fresh air." (not sure if that has a better, technical term.) Not sure if this'll work for your vehicle...the reason I'm skeptical is that I didn't have a serviceable cabin air filter, or so I was told. So when I changed that HVAC control, it would feel like my fan was turned on, even if it was manually turned off....

Good luck! Hope it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
With my old 4Runner, if the sunroof was open I would get a vibrating sound from the passenger seat belt. Snapping it shut solved that problem.

Now with my Outback (2.5 PZEV CVT), I've noticed that when I'm going 20 to 40 MPH or so, with the sunroof wide open, and it's quiet in the car (no radio, no wife), that there's a vibration/humming sound coming from the interior. Fairly high frequency (more of a treble sound than a bass), and I'm sure it's just some fabric or something going harmonic on me, but I can't for the life of me find it.

This happens when the roof is all the way open from the one touch open, and when the roof is open that extra inch from pushing the button again (secondary question: why do they have that "feature"?).

Just me?
We have a 2005, I know, different models,etc. BUT, we have a roof rack with crossbars. With the sunroof open there was a humming, whistle, vibration noise. We took the crossbars off and the sound went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts