Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here is familiar with the Subaru Ambassador Program or has any experience with it. If so, please let me know via reply or PM, Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I was just accepted to the program. Looks cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I just saw it online, and submitted an application.
Looks like a cool opportunity to share the Subie vibe.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 6MT & 1991 240 (original owner). Previous rides: 2005 Impreza, 2010 Forester.
312 Posts
I don't bear any hostility towards Subaru for initiating this sort of programme. Good on them if it meets their requirements. But...

I'd prefer to have no official arrangement with the manufacturer of my car. If my Sube is a great car, I'd be delighted to share my experiences with anyone who asks.

If Subaru wants to hire me as an employee, fine. I'll play and present myself as somebody who has a corporate interest to protect/represent. Otherwise, the last thing I would want to be is the local "unofficial Mary Kay rep" who goes around hawking a company's wares in this sort of way.

By my own personal values (which in no way implies I'm the same king of person as Ghandi, Mother Theresa or Desmond Tutu), this sort of cheapens what should be a different kind of relationship between the manufacturer of products and the people who buy them.

This especially applies to people with such affiliations who participate in online forums, etc.

I would say that anyone participating on this forum who is a "Subaru Ambassador" should be required to plainly state this -- either through the use of an appropriate avatar (as @bajanut has done) or in their sig block.

But these are my views. Others may have different opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
2017 Ram Big Horn 8' Bed 4X4 6.4 Hemi
171 Posts
I sent in the application and haven't heard anything... Other than it was received..

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
I don't bear any hostility towards Subaru for initiating this sort of programme. Good on them if it meets their requirements. But...

I'd prefer to have no official arrangement with the manufacturer of my car. If my Sube is a great car, I'd be delighted to share my experiences with anyone who asks.

If Subaru wants to hire me as an employee, fine. I'll play and present myself as somebody who has a corporate interest to protect/represent. Otherwise, the last thing I would want to be is the local "unofficial Mary Kay rep" who goes around hawking a company's wares in this sort of way.

By my own personal values (which in no way implies I'm the same king of person as Ghandi, Mother Theresa or Desmond Tutu), this sort of cheapens what should be a different kind of relationship between the manufacturer of products and the people who buy them.

This especially applies to people with such affiliations who participate in online forums, etc.

I would say that anyone participating on this forum who is a "Subaru Ambassador" should be required to plainly state this -- either through the use of an appropriate avatar (as @bajanut has done) or in their sig block.

But these are my views. Others may have different opinions on the subject.
I've been accused of far worse than a Subaru ambassador on other car forums. I'm not stating anything, come at me bro. :jester:

·
Registered
2015 Outback 6MT & 1991 240 (original owner). Previous rides: 2005 Impreza, 2010 Forester.
312 Posts
I've been accused of far worse than a Subaru ambassador on other car forums. I'm not stating anything, come at me bro. :jester:
???

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
It was a mostly VW forum, long story. I've owned a couple dozen cars in my lifetime, but because I've owned four from the same (3 currently) from the same brand at once I'm obviously up to something.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,931 Posts
I'd prefer to have no official arrangement with the manufacturer of my car.
I tend to agree. Every "technical advisory board" or "customer advisory group" I've participated in as a volunteer has ultimately run into the same conflict: the participants tend to see themselves as a panel of independent technical advisers or customer advocates, while the sponsoring business or organization generally expects the group to function as an unpaid marketing auxiliary, nothing more.

I'm perfectly happy to tell people what I like (and dislike) about my Subaru, and why, but I'm neither a cheerleader nor an evangelist. Of course, that's just me.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I like the vibe in this thread.

I was active in a few VW clubs back before the Internet, even going so far as publishing a newsletter for one.

Over the past four years I've developed a hobby of trying to help Subaru owners understand and enjoy their cars better through this and other web forums. I've learned a lot, made some friends, and enjoyed the vast majority of the time I've put into it.

Once somebody on this site suggested I was being paid to post, and I was very upset by the accusation. I don't think there's a way to externally prove or refute that kind of arrangement, which only serves to frustrate both parties in such a dispute.

Because this is a hobby for me, I feel free to inject personal opinions into my posts along with information. I try to keep the information accurate, and I try to keep those portions separate and distinct from my opinions. Sometimes I miss one or both of those goals, which is why I'm glad I'm not alone- I always welcome corrections and debate. I think many of you view it the same way, and I appreciate your efforts.

I have to admit, I'm curious about the ambassador program, but the cynic in me agrees with ammcinnis. It could well be nothing more than an attempt to get some free marketing.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts
In my younger years I would never wear any brands t-shirts, hats, ect. I felt that advertising their brand for free was tacky. Over the years, people mellow to the whole marketing scheme. I'd join, if they actually took enthusiasts seriously.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I tend to take whatever people post at face value. If they self-identify their corporate role in an up-front manner, I give them and the info the provide a fair amount of latitude.

If I subsequently learn that a poster had/has a corporate affiliation, I'm left with the feeling I've been pawned. Future posts are ignored or dismissed as corporate chatter.

This applies equally to those posting overwhelmingly positive and disastrously negative content. Were I to find a fanboy/girl from a Subaru competitor asking the same question over and over again about a long-resolved defect, I'd never buy their product.

I'd be delighted to read what Subaru Ambassadors have to say, provided that I understand their corporate affiliations up-front. But were the opposite to occur (somebody posing as a private poster whose corporate affiliation comes out later), I would think less of the poster and the company they represent.

Once lost, personal and corporate credibility is difficult to re-establish.

Reactions: Looby

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received the program info back in late November. As you can see, I got zero interest or response from anyone on this topic from then until now. Maybe they did the first round of invitations only to people like me who've been around the brand for-basically-ever.

You get a shirt and a jacket and some swag to give away, and they ask that you try to make notes about any interactions. You don't have to do anything unless you want to. The point of it seems to be to quantify how much brand discussion is generated by owners and enthusiasts.

Obviously they know there are people who discuss the brand. Based on my experience so far, it looks like they want to identify those people and make a few extra resources available in case they want to use them.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited w/Eyesight
354 Posts
Forums like this really change attitudes about brand loyalty. It used to be, "I really like my Subaru." Now that gets you accused of being a fanboy or company shill. Pretty sure someone's loyalty isn't bought with a cheap hat and t-shirt. There's nothing wrong with liking a particular brand nor is there anything wrong with respectful skepticism.

It's a matter of where you want to spend your time. I cross shop too many brands for most things, including cars. But since my first Apple computer, then iPhone, I'll keep going with the brand because it serves me well. Am I a fanboy? Heck, I rarely tell people I like Apple because I'm afraid of the accusations. I'd call myself a satisfied customer, just like in the old days. If a company wants to encourage a happy camper to tell others, that's just smart modern marketing.

But keep at it. Reading the posts from some of our most prolific curmudgeons frequently gives me an (unintended) laugh!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forums like this really change attitudes about brand loyalty. It used to be, "I really like my Subaru." Now that gets you accused of being a fanboy or company shill. Pretty sure someone's loyalty isn't bought with a cheap hat and t-shirt. There's nothing wrong with liking a particular brand nor is there anything wrong with respectful skepticism.

It's a matter of where you want to spend your time. I cross shop too many brands for most things, including cars. But since my first Apple computer, then iPhone, I'll keep going with the brand because it serves me well. Am I a fanboy? Heck, I rarely tell people I like Apple because I'm afraid of the accusations. I'd call myself a satisfied customer, just like in the old days. If a company wants to encourage a happy camper to tell others, that's just smart modern marketing.

But keep at it. Reading the posts from some of our most prolific curmudgeons frequently gives me an (unintended) laugh!
I could not have said it better. The Hater and the fanboy/fangirl are equally annoying. I myself have plenty of opinions, not all of which are good, about Subaru, and those opinions come from owning 9 Subarus since 1995. If someone wants that insight, then I'll happily share both the good and the bad.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts