Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, many of you probably remember the old AMC Eagle Wagons of the 1980's. I've always had an interest in them because of their obvious uniqueness and just that they were so goofy that they were actually cool IMO. The thing is that just about EVERY AMC or Eagle website I go to has a beef with Subaru and the Outback in particular about Subaru advertising the original Outbacks as, "the world's first sport utility wagon." I can see where they're coming from although they need to give Subaru their just due. True they had one of first vehicles that you could classify at a SUW although I think Subaru had been making AWD wagons since 1969 or so. So technically I would think that Subaru would have had the first SUW regardless if they didn't advertise it for 20 some years or so. The worse thing is that magazines have bought into AMC's line towards Subaru and have had their organs put out propaganda against Subaru in their articles about various Subarus in their magazines. I personally resent this as it makes Subaru and the Outback look bad because a few groups of people don't have their stories straight.

Its just too bad that AMC died in 1987 after being bought out and killed off by DCX. But Subaru lives on! :30:

***Yea that was a little immature :p

I wish I could have bought one of these in the 80's!

OBS Obsessed, ,
Hero Boots said:

I wish I could have bought one of these in the 80's!
Me too. I remember them and remember wanting one so bad when I was in high school or wanting my parents to get one. If I recall correctly they were not very dependable vehicles.

Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
Remember, back in the 80's it was just Chrysler that killed AMC, no Daimler involvement then :)

IIRC, the Eagles were insanely heavy (wagon=3500+ lbs) for their power (6 cylinder= ~115 hp)

I remember something about the 4x4's not being classified as cars (sound familiar??), which let them off the hook for some bumper & emissions regulations.

I miss AMC, too, but that's because I like Renaults :12:

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
I liked the Eagles also, but when it comes to AMC, I miss the Matador and Ambassador!!! Remember those hunks of metal? Brian

Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
oh my God!

my friend had one ! a wagon with the faux wood panelling '81 eagle! he said it was awesome in the snow! but then again he wasn't gettin any then either!ROFLMA!:eek:

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Yeah, but the problem with a babe magnet is, you get iron babes...

Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
My mother-in-law had one of those!

My wife's parents had moved into a remote house in the woods. It was a real neat place, 40 acres surrounded by city watershed property, private and beautiful. The only problem was the "driveway" was a one mile dirt road that was pretty rough. Didn't make any difference to my father-in-law, who only drove pickups. His wife didn't want to have to drive a truck, so she bought an Eagle. It wasn't quite a lemon, but did have problems fairly regularly. Still, compared to any other car, it handled the rutty road with ease, and was great in the snow. Didn't stop her from getting rid of it after a year or so once they got the road paved.

Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
AMC lives, sorta

you know that the 4.0 six Jeep used at least through most of 90s (and still may) is stillthe old AMC six, halfway between the 232 and 258 ( i think it';s abt 242 cid)?? the one in my 93 Cherokee romps out 190 hp and 230 ft lb of torque. if the Eagle had had the benefit of EFI and modern engine mgmt....???

'course, anyone who's ever driven vehicle with live (well named) axle front and rear on a washboarded dirt road (ALL of them in NM) knows how much better Sub.s work for normal driving.

Registered
One of my friends in college had an Eagle wagon circa 1985/86.

His father bought it for him as punishment for wrecking a couple much nicer cars :D

I only got to ride in it a couple times, but aside from it's snowworthiness (Vermont), I didn't think much of it.

Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
punishment is about how i've usually seen it any time i've had to drive an American car from 60s or 70s.....

but you gotta love a car company that makes a family sedan called the "killer" (Matador, en ingles).....

altho the sport ute folks seem determined to pass even that high water mark...we now have the Armada, what's next, the Conquistador?

Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
Hero Boots said:
Hey folks, many of you probably remember the old AMC Eagle Wagons of the 1980's. ---8<---
Nope, I don't exactly remember anything of this particular AMC. I do, however, remember the Pacer very well. Those caused photographic memories even if you didn't have that kind of memory. ;) My highschool girlfriend drove one. I kinda liked its looks, but then I could say the same of the Gremlin, Pinto, etc.

I really loved those AMC Javelin's from the early or mid '70's. Don't recall much of their insides but I always admired their outsides. I know some people never cared anything for any of the AMC's.

Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
The eagle has landed in......

While driving through Bend,Oregon Saturday Aug 21. I saw a pair of nesting AMC eagle wagons in almost new conditon flying around town within two minutes of each other on HWY 97. I guess this species of eagles does well there given the snow/offroad capablities..........Kind of funny since every other vehichle is an suv or Subie.:eek:

Registered
i also saw several still flying in ABQ/Santa Fe NM area this weekend, not entirely surprising since this is another area where there are a ton of Subs....few "nesting" Eagles too...

interesting, as it suggests that a lot of people find the AWD (or 4WD?) useful enough that they keep em going long after the mkt value ceases to justify it

Registered
My folks had a AMC dealership in the 1970s and 1980s, so they drove all kinds of AMCs although they where good cars my folks did not like them.

The real differance between a AMC Eagle and a Subaru Outback is that the American Motors product had a transfer case letting the driver change between 4WD and 2WD and also the fact that the Subaru is based off a FWD Legacy and the AMC Eagle is based off a RWD AMC Hornet

To learn more about the AMC Eagle and all kinds of cool AMC stuff use this link --> http://www.arcticboy.com/

Tokyo's between my toes
My first car was this, in dark green, no X trim but a 360 and trailering package

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #16
The_Lizard said:
My first car was this, in dark green, no X trim but a 360 and trailering package

A 360 V-8 in that small of a car?!? :eek: WOw talk about fun! :19:

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Couldn't resist putting in a pic of one of the most fun Aussie cars from the mid 70's: Holden Torana A9X, a GM product that housed a race tuned 308CI V8 in a body which I'm pretty sure you Americans would call sub-compact. Looks kinda similar really.

Attachments

Tokyo's between my toes
Hero Boots said:

A 360 V-8 in that small of a car?!? :eek: WOw talk about fun! :19:
Yes, until the fenders rusted off of it. I was told it had 175 hp; I should look up the stats on that 360 2bbl.

I could put a rental trailer on it, put a pickup truck's worth of cargo in the trailer, more in the hatch, and GO.

In 1981 I drove it from Ohio to Arizona to Washington to California to Arizona to Ohio. A bunch of hippies and a pit bull in a hot hatchback... that was for the '81 Rainbow gathering.

Registered
05 Outback XT Ltd
I remember going to the Olympic Rally in the mid 80's as a kid and there were a couple AMC Eagle wagons competing and they were doing very well to our amazement. The RX7's were dominating, but the Eagles were beating the Saabs if I remember correctly. A friend's parents drove one and I remember wanting one. I thought they were a bit odd, but still cool.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
Jondalar, that car looks like a Mad Max movie prop!! By the way, what was that model Mel drove in that movie? Brian

1 - 20 of 42 Posts