Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Jiffy Lube the other day getting my coolant flushed and struck up a conversation with the manager about Amsoil. He told me that Amsoil is bad because of its "off the chart" levels of sulfates (I think that's the mineral he mentioned).

Because of everything I've heard about it including how incredible the stuff is in the OB (mainly from here), I'm about to switch over to Amsoil and in fact have already bought everything I need to change the oil.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
you're 100% right. there's a reason i refer to such places as Lube-n-Destroy. this is where the bottom of the class in the auto shop program goes to work. (hmm, i was bottom of my class in school, better be careful there...) the mechanics have zero mech knowledge and desire to do it right, and the mgmt only understands movin as much volume as possible. they do NOT care abt your car. i have dealt with SO many sad tales in the aftermath of dmg caused by such places.

mgr is mostly full of crap. whatever the merits of AMsoil, he'd rather you not start using any synthetic, cuz they don't get that in jillion gallon drums for cheap and they thus might lose profits. less frequent oil changes too. my SO took my car to one a while back. even tho she brought her own synth, they still charged her for the bulk oil they didn't put in, and torqued the oil filter to abt 200 ft lbs! (it's only supposed to be a little past finger tight) this is not exaggeration, it's estimate of 2 good mechanics who removed the thing. if excessive torque can distort brake rotors, wonder what it does to alum engine cases...??

use amsoil or any other synth you like. avoid lube n destroys. your car will thank you for it.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Lube -n- Destroy!!!!! Funny. As a matter of fact, just happened to a co-worker of mine. His daughter did the Jiffy Lube thing and the engine seized up the next day. They forgot to tighten the plug or the filter. She did, however get a new used engine. But that was after the word 'Lawyer' was spoken. Brian

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you everyone for your input... I feel much better putting Amsoil into my engine now. I've always been wary about these places but I thought that getting just my coolant flushed was a no-brainer and I was rushed to get it done -- that's why I was there in the first place.

Listen to me make excuses. You would think I just got caught with a Playboy magazine! "Umm, umm, I buy it for the sports and interviews... yea, that's it." :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
ijnteresting comparison. taking yr car to those places really is like self-abuse...everyone does it but no one wants to admit it!

Brian, i've dealt with replacng oil pan or repairing threads with helicoil on 2 cars now where the L-n-D guys CROSS THREADED the drin plug. how they do that when the threads are cleaned and flushed with lube every time you dump oil is beyond me...i suspect they didn't ev3n bother to wipe it clean and get the threads free of grit that had stuck to it when they dropped it??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just so all you know Jiffy lube is owned by the pennsoil corporation. They'll tell you anything to use their lube but by law they must apply whatever oil or additive you request.

As far as the sulfanates go. You need them they are not bad they aide in corrosion protection.

Amsoil on the other hand lets just say if i wanted to get raped by a mlm company i would use it but if your smart.
There are other less costly alternatives.

Amsoil is a PAO based synthetic with additives.
Castrol is a group IV base that is by the supreme courts ruling a synthetic oil is it though? No its a DINO oil.
Mobil One is PAO based.
Mobil the 15,000 and 7,500 is not they are Group IV with added detergents.

Really though if your into buyin brand names go for one of the above.

If you wanna save a little and get better or same results. Use supertech with a aftermarket additive. Even amsoil can't beat it.
If you buy into their BS about additives are bad ask them whats in your oil? BASE AND ADDITIVES. Its that simple.

And if you REALLY wanna know whats going on. DO OIL ANAYLISIS it will shock you. What you think you knew doesn't mean squat next to hard concrete numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
kray z
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing