Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go into work this morning. On way home, on wet roads, someone had taken a header into the guard rail. I saw the traffic slowing, had to hit the brakes hard. Was just relaxing because Dingo had done a great job stopping quickly, then boom! The car behind me hit me.

No one was hurt, thank goodness. Not even in the car that went headfirst into the guardrail.

So, I guess Subaru OB brakes are better than Jeep Cherokee brakes!
Only bummer is my car looks a lot worse off than hers. Bumper damaged, driver's side fender and wheel arch molding damaged, trunk/lift gate damaged. Driver's side muffler pushed sideways and tailpipe pushed down and damaged. Blind spot detection system off on dashboard - I'm hoping that's not a sign that the system was damaged. All State says they will fix. I'm hoping it will be 'as good as new' although I know from too many experiences like this that a wrecked car is never quite the same. Even with very minor damage, the car often gets creaks and rattles it never had before.

Managed to drive her home, even though the muffler makes me a little nervous. Then saw that arch molding was rubbing on tire just slightly. Glad home wasn't too far! Already have authorization to get repaired. Will likely drop her off tomorrow, thank goodness tomorrow is a holiday.

Poor Dingo! :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Had to go into work this morning. On way home, on wet roads, someone had taken a header into the guard rail. I saw the traffic slowing, had to hit the brakes hard. Was just relaxing because Dingo had done a great job stopping quickly, then boom! The car behind me hit me.

No one was hurt, thank goodness. Not even in the car that went headfirst into the guardrail.

Only bummer is my car looks a lot worse off than hers. Bumper damaged, driver's side fender and wheel arch molding damaged, trunk/lift gate damaged. Driver's side muffler pushed sideways and tailpipe pushed down and damaged. Blind spot detection system off on dashboard - I'm hoping that's not a sign that the system was damaged. All State says they will fix. I'm hoping it will be 'as good as new' although I know from too many experiences like this that a wrecked car is never quite the same. Even with very minor damage, the car often gets creaks and rattles it never had before.

Managed to drive her home, even though the muffler makes me a little nervous. Then saw that arch molding was rubbing on tire just slightly. Glad home wasn't too far! Already have authorization to get repaired. Will likely drop her off tomorrow, thank goodness tomorrow is a holiday.

Sorry to hear you were forced to test the Jeep's brakes and your car's crash survivability at the same time.

On the bright side, perhaps you can joke and use revisionist history and explain your car's name as "Ding.. Oh!" Just being run together because it takes too long to say otherwise!:surprise:

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, yes that does make the name choice rather humorous, doesn't it?

I'm still surprised the air bags didn't deploy on either vehicle.

And I was ready to get a hitch installed! Might have to ask body repair place if they could do that, as long as they have the bumper off!

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts
LOL, yes that does make the name choice rather humorous, doesn't it?

I'm still surprised the air bags didn't deploy on either vehicle.

And I was ready to get a hitch installed! Might have to ask body repair place if they could do that, as long as they have the bumper off!
Sorry to hear about Dingo
We love cars but they are like eggs. To easy to crack break or scratch

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would recommend taking it to a dealer, insist on Subaru parts and if there are any rattles or other problems make the dealer fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man, that sucks! I understand your sentiment about the car never being the same. I hope it's ok after repair. But most importantly, I'm very glad to hear that you and everyone else are ok after the accident!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But most importantly, I'm very glad to hear that you and everyone else are ok after the accident!
Yup that's the most important thing!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
Yup that's the most important thing!
I am thinking something like this happened to that Cheapo Jeep on its way home after the incident.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Sheetmetal and paint. Your car will be OK. Not the type of damage that makes a car never as good as it was. Sorry it happened. Some stuff sucks. Glad nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,720 Posts
Why do people tailgate? Too bad that Jeep didn't have EyeSight.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,310 Posts
Sheetmetal and paint. Your car will be OK. Not the type of damage that makes a car never as good as it was. Sorry it happened. Some stuff sucks. Glad nobody was hurt.
This...

Looks like you (the OP) avoided the underbody damage that I sustained back in 2012, I'm still driving mine after having it repaired.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This...

Looks like you (the OP) avoided the underbody damage that I sustained back in 2012, I'm still driving mine after having it repaired.
It isn't nearly as bad as the accident I had in 1999, hit in the right front fender by someone running a stop sign (who ran, and was never caught). That time it was major -
frame damage, nearly totaled the car I was driving at the time.

I'm sure Dingo will drive fine, the mechanicals will be fine -but my experience from too many accidents is the force of impact - even at low speeds - will loosen a number of bolts and connections in the car. It'll rattle where it used to be lock solid quiet. I know it's minor in comparison, it'll just annoy.

In case you're curious - rear ended 5 times, hit in the right front fender, hit in the left front fender twice, hit in the front (car making a U-turn into my lane). Not once at fault. My wife jokes that when they repair Dingo maybe they can remove the target!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
I remember a while back here someone getting hit in their outback with a hitch. and more damage because of the hitch.

(lots of good pics,. ...can't remember the year car but newer then 2010.).

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
It isn't nearly as bad as the accident I had in 1999, hit in the right front fender by someone running a stop sign (who ran, and was never caught). That time it was major -
frame damage, nearly totaled the car I was driving at the time.

I'm sure Dingo will drive fine, the mechanicals will be fine -but my experience from too many accidents is the force of impact - even at low speeds - will loosen a number of bolts and connections in the car. It'll rattle where it used to be lock solid quiet. I know it's minor in comparison, it'll just annoy.

In case you're curious - rear ended 5 times, hit in the right front fender, hit in the left front fender twice, hit in the front (car making a U-turn into my lane). Not once at fault. My wife jokes that when they repair Dingo maybe they can remove the target!
I hope your wife got that right, but my Dad’s experience with a Dodge pickup truck indicates some people’s cars have a magnetic personality. That truck attracted so many cars into hitting it, even when it was parked by itself in the middle of a parking lot.

Dingo needs to be degaussed, possibly :grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium (w/ E.S.)
50 Posts

Sorry about the damage. I had to do a double take of the pictures.....I know where that is! =) I was actually driving past there going north around 5-6pm on Sunday and saw some fender bender (small car) pulled off to the side of the ramp, though it wasn't raining yet.

Which dealer do you plan to take it to?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
Sorry to learn of your bad luck here, but well done in at least stopping your Outback so you didn't hit the car ahead. I'm curious about whether the Eyesight system helped in your quick stop, or whether you did it entirely yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 subaru outback 3.6r, 2011 Subaru ForesterXt
240 Posts
I am thinking something like this happened to that Cheapo Jeep on its way home after the incident.

My 2015 Cherokee fell apart like that on it's own within months of purchase. It didn't need a wreck to self destruct. FCA said "Operating as designed" guaranteeing that I would never dream of buying another.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to learn of your bad luck here, but well done in at least stopping your Outback so you didn't hit the car ahead. I'm curious about whether the Eyesight system helped in your quick stop, or whether you did it entirely yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As much as I love the ES, I reacted just before it did, because we were coming around a corner. So it didn't warn me about the front. It did warn me about the rear, just before she popped me, but there was nothing the car or I could do about that! I was just glad she didn't hit me hard enough that we didn't hit another car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope your wife got that right, but my Dad’s experience with a Dodge pickup truck indicates some people’s cars have a magnetic personality. That truck attracted so many cars into hitting it, even when it was parked by itself in the middle of a parking lot.

Dingo needs to be degaussed, possibly :grin2:
yeah, but it isn't the car - all those accidents are across a number of cars, painted different colors (red, orange, white, blue) so the only common element is me....So I must conclude people are out to get me!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts