Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals, I just want to give a heads up on something nasty that you may or may not know.

If your phone was updated to Android 10, do NOT reset your phone to factory.

There is a good chance that if you try to pair your phone to your car, or other Bluetooth devices that have the "Phone" features, it won't work. Media (playing music) will do just fine.

If you updated to Android 10, Bluetooth "Phone" will work fine with previously paired devices. And may still work fine paring new Bluetooth devices that have the Phone capabilities . It's only when you reset the phone to "factory", is when you try to pair things go wonky.

I made this mistake, resetting my phone, and trying to pair to various devices with the Phone feature only to find it no longer works. Spent a couple days researching, finally going to my phone manufacturer (Nokia) chat support did they finally fess up that it is a known issue. They also let it slip that it isn't just with their phones, other manufactures are running into this issue also.

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, it's pretty far fetched. But it's frustrating that I spent 4 days trying, and researching, trying every setting in developer mode, and what not, and now my phone won't work with my Outback, Sena 20s (motorcycle Bluetooth), my laptop, and a portable speaker for making phone calls. Playing music works fine. Just because I did a factory reset of my phone.

Digging around, this and other Bluetooth issues with Android 10 are popping up. One of the common themes was it really shows up after doing a factory reset. Now I have to wait for a patch to come down to fix it. I just wanted to give a heads up so you don't go through what I have had to. There already has been one patch put out for Bluetooth issues from Google, that fixed other issues post update, but not this one.

I'm all ears for suggestions, fixes, if someone else has run into this.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,474 Posts
I just checked... my cheap old Android phone says it's running Android 6. And it is still so starved for memory that after various system updates over the years, even with almost no apps installed, it now fails to run some of the built-in functions which I could actually use, like the photo gallery, due to lack of memory (I have a memory card installed, and all photos, videos, and most data are stored on it - alas, apps can't be moved to or installed on that).

It still pairs with the car's audio system so I can make and receive phone calls hands free, and offers to read texts, so I guess I'll refrain from replacing it with something with more memory and a whole slew of bloated cruft added that's mostly useless to me. Especially if one of the new "features" is to render BT useless - which I also use for one of my installed apps that still works in addition to the hands-free audio which works quite well (knock wood!)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
go into BT settings and if available select alternate pairing mode

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That setting is no longer available. ☹

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for giving this info but also get into this problem. A few days ago I did a factory reset of my Android 10 and since then I haven't heard notification of this GB WhatsApp Apk when i am connect with headset someone messages or calls. Do you have any solution?

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went through my phone mfg and they are at a loss for what to do, except wait for an update. Even worse is this month's Android Maintenance Release (MR) from my phone mfg has been held back by my carrier (the Security Patch came down though). I was hoping that this MR would correct the issue. Even worked with the mfg to try to bypass the carrier for the OTA MR update. No go. Sadly they won't just send the update file so I can't side load it.

So... 3 months and going for no phone use via Bluetooth for me.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,046 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing of this issue, and I volunteer on a popular Android-related web forum. I don't think we've ever seen this question or issue come across the forums.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Red on Ivory
71 Posts
Any clue on the phone make and model? I have original Pixel, it was upgraded to Android 10 prior to it being paired with 2019 Subaru.
I did perform Factory reset on it. When we designated it as Spare device.
I needed to use it again it paired with Subaru with no problem and is still working fine.

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a Nokia 4.2.

Early on when I found this out, searching did reveel some other mfgs had similar problems. It's been so long, I forgot who they were. But I do remember Google phones absent of this issue. Go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts