Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 OB and a Pixel 2 XL on latest security Patch for Oreo and having 2 issues.

Issue 1:
Once paired connectivity is an issue. Sometimes it will connect phone only or media only.

I have observed that this will happen in two scenarios:
  1. if previously a device was connected but the phone went out of range and disconnected from previous device
  2. If you had a another device (like Plantronics Edge BT headset) connected and you started the car and realized the BT headset is connected and you turn it off and the connectivity issues pop up

usually rebooting the devices fixes or connecting back to the previous device first and either:
  1. Turning off the previous device while connected OR
  2. Opening the BT menu on android and manually disconnecting from said device.
This behavior is not just in the car but across any device (BT Speaker (UE Boom 2) to headset, Speaker to Car, Car to headset etc.)

This issue has always been there since I owner the Nexus 5.

Issue 2:
Track info is not displayed on the Subaru Starlink Infotainment system since the Android 8.0 Oreo update.

Previously it would tell me the track title, artist and album details just fine with the Play Music, Youtube, Youtube Music or Pocket Cast apps.

This issue was not there prior to Android 8.0 Update.

I have a thread going on on the Pixel Community and if anyone is also facing same issue, I welcome you to post your issue there too.

So the above thread was closed as it was a duplicate of this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/-lpPfDGvkNw;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
62 Posts
2018 3.6 Touring (2 weeks), paired to Galaxy S8.

Not really -

I just haven’t figured out the interface between my phone and the head unit yet. I have Starlink paired, as well as Android Auto… maybe. My phone app automatically switches to ‘car mode’ when in the car, so obviously there’s some pairing going on. However, the app on the head unit is grayed out. I can only get Android Auto working by plugging my phone into the USB port.
My guess is that the head unit pairing to my phone is not compatible with both Starlink and Android Auto at the same time. Not a huge deal, but it’s kind of like a Rubik’s Cube. Sooner or later I’ll figure it out. Maybe some people stumbled across the ‘right way’ from the start, but this is my experience anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts

Not really -

I just haven’t figured out the interface between my phone and the head unit yet. I have Starlink paired, as well as Android Auto… maybe. My phone app automatically switches to ‘car mode’ when in the car, so obviously there’s some pairing going on. However, the app on the head unit is grayed out. I can only get Android Auto working by plugging my phone into the USB port.
My guess is that the head unit pairing to my phone is not compatible with both Starlink and Android Auto at the same time. Not a huge deal, but it’s kind of like a Rubik’s Cube. Sooner or later I’ll figure it out. Maybe some people stumbled across the ‘right way’ from the start, but this is my experience anyway.
To my understanding, in most cars both AA and Apple Car Play require a USB connection. They don't work over Bluetooth. That is changing with new firmware and other updates, but it's going to be available on only specific phones and cars, not all of them.

I have both an iPhone (work) and an S8. I have connected both to the car, just to see the interface. But I rarely carry the S8 since I always have to have my work phone available, so I just use it. It's been a while since I've plugged the S8 in, so don't remember any details about the user interface. I seldom plug the iPhone in unless I need to charge the battery while I'm driving.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
I have a 17 OB and a Pixel 2 XL on latest security Patch for Oreo and having 2 issues.

Issue 1:
Once paired connectivity is an issue. Sometimes it will connect phone only or media only.
If you had a another device (like Plantronics Edge BT headset) connected and you started the car and realized the BT headset is connected and you turn it off and the connectivity issues pop up

Issue 2:
Track info is not displayed on the Subaru Starlink Infotainment system since the Android 8.0 Oreo update.

Previously it would tell me the track title, artist and album details just fine with the Play Music, Youtube, Youtube Music or Pocket Cast apps.
2015 w/ HK stereo. iPhone 6s plus iOS 11.4 (Beta) and iPhone X iOS 11.4 (Beta).
Same issues, For issue 1, it happens all the time with my AirPods. Phone wants to stay connected to AirPods but car will take over. Constantly. So I'm stuck driving, trying to change from bluetooth car phone call, to AirPods phone call.
And the meta data I think is an update issue. With every update to our phones it breaks part of the Head unit a little more.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts

Not really -

On top of all this, the 2018 HU is all new for that model year. The previous Gen 5's have an older different Head unit. From what I gather the consensus is, it is not favored very much.
Not to say your findings aren't relevant or good fuel, but know yours is a different beast (with many complaint threads too!).

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
And the meta data I think is an update issue. With every update to our phones it breaks part of the Head unit a little more.
Yep. Had someone buy an older Outback with the last gen head unit. I could get my phone (which is a 4 year old 5S) to pair. Hers was a new Android, fully updated. The phone never would pair with the car - and the cars head unit had been updated by our techs.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
363 Posts
It's switching to car mode because you have the AA app on your phone configured to do that automatically when it sees the BT connection. Turn that feature off, so that it will only switch to car mode, and trigger AA, when you connect via USB - which, as mentioned above, is required for AA to work on the car screen. It's not there yet via BT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On top of all this, the 2018 HU is all new for that model year. The previous Gen 5's have an older different Head unit. From what I gather the consensus is, it is not favored very much.
Not to say your findings aren't relevant or good fuel, but know yours is a different beast (with many complaint threads too!).
I posted here after someone reported the same thing with same exact phones on the 2018 OB on the outback subreddit.

I definitely think its a stupid Android issues. Android has never done BT properly, but it has become more of a nuisance lately.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
I have an OG Pixel XL.
If you haven't done so enable developer options on your Pixel.
Once in developer options, scroll down to BlueTooth AVRCP version and change it to 1.3
Try reconnecting to your OB and see how everything works.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Samsung S8+ - and the new android update appears to have given me similar issues with my 2016 Premium Outback.

Bluetooth connects, but the track/artist info no longer displays on the screen, and screen (and steering wheel) controls no longer affect my phone. Steering controls work fine for volume, or if using a USB stick for tracks - but via Bluetooth - nothing.

Pretty annoying -worked great for the past 2 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts