Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for my '18 Touring to arrive at the dealer so can't answer this myself:

A friend was just telling me that his son has a new Impreza with the head unit that's the same or similar to the new OB, and that he can't find a way to play music from his phone if he's using Android Auto to navigate. I think that what he's doing is trying to play music that is stored on his phone as opposed to streaming, which I'm sure must work with AA. Is that correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm waiting for my '18 Touring to arrive at the dealer so can't answer this myself:

A friend was just telling me that his son has a new Impreza with the head unit that's the same or similar to the new OB, and that he can't find a way to play music from his phone if he's using Android Auto to navigate. I think that what he's doing is trying to play music that is stored on his phone as opposed to streaming, which I'm sure must work with AA. Is that correct?
You need a music app that is compatible with Android Auto.

Google Play Music and Amazon Music works if you upload your music first and then Mark them for offline use.

You can also try an app like Rocket Player which is listed as compatible with Android Auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
93 Posts
For a little while Google Play wouldn't play local music files when on Android Auto. Thought they fixed that 3-4 months ago though. But yes, you can play them. I think I've told mine "Okay Google" and "launch DoubleTwist" which is an app I have installed. From there I can play music. Playing local music also had a hiccup with Bluetooth headsets and verbal commands, which is how I found out about the issue in the first place.

If I had the car at work then I'd go test for you. I'll try to remember and test when I get home.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need a music app that is compatible with Android Auto.

Google Play Music and Amazon Music works if you upload your music first and then Mark them for offline use.

You can also try an app like Rocket Player which is listed as compatible with Android Auto.

Thanks. After writing my post I figured that's what was going on and saw the Rocket Player app. I'll tell him about it next time I see him. Not an issue for me anyway since I don't keep any music on my phone and just use Pandora, Amazon, Stitcher, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a ClipSport MP3 player and have had nothing but trouble trying to make it connect to my Outback audio system. It will connect via Bluetooth and work just fine, and then the next time it won't--it cycles quickly back and forth between "connected" and "disconnected". I was sure it was a defective device and after many iterations with Sandisk support they sent me another one. Same problem.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium
161 Posts
You can either use VLC Media Player, or as I have figured out, select your music source before you connect to AA. Your music will continue in the background, and you can switch tracks, or stations if on FM, or XM. In the upper right hand corner of the HU, it will show you what's playing. I personally think it's the dumbest thing to have to stream all music in the Play Music app instead of it seeing that you have locally stored music. But, with the latest update, and VLC working again, I think that will solve the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.