Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Touring, Wilderness Green Metallic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, first of all, let me say that I absolutely LOVE my new OB. It's a dream to drive and I couldn't be happier, however....
I really prefer to use Waze for navigation and I'm having a consistent issue with connecting my phone for Android Auto.
There seem to be two ways to "run" Android Auto and it happens with both. I'll break up the two ways to avoid confusion.

From the Home screen:
When I plug in my phone to the micro-USB cable connected to the USB port in the middle of the dash, after a few seconds I get a pop-up on the screen stating something to the effect of "when it's safe to do so, look at your phone". I click OK on that. It should be worth noting here that aside from Android Auto popping up and running on the phone, NOTHING actually needs my attention on my phone, it's fully automated on the phone side. After clicking OK from the pop-up, a couple of seconds later the Android Auto icon appears in the previously empty lower right hand corner of the Home screen. I tap on it and nothing happens. I can tap till I'm blue in the face and nothing happens. I then have to unplug and re-plug in the USB cable and repeat the procedure. Usually it works ok the 2nd time, but sometimes I've had to go through the procedure 4-5 times. Once I'm "in", everything works perfectly.

From the Apps screen:
With nothing plugged in, there are grayed-out icons for Apple Play and Android Auto. As I mentioned above, when I plug in the cable, a few seconds later I get the "look at your phone when you're not going to run off the road" (or something like that :jester:) pop-up and I click OK. A few seconds after that, the Android Auto icon changes from grayed-out to "available". When I click on that, the screen changes but with the exception of the very top where it shows status/connections information (sorry, I don't have a picture, I'll take and post one later if it will help), the screen is black. Nothing will happen after that until I unplug the cable and the screen immediately reverts back to the Apps screen with the grayed-out icon. I re-plug in the cable and repeat the procedure. Eventually (usually the 2nd time, but sometimes more) when I click on the Android Auto screen it switches to the expected screen showing my Android Now cards and giving me options across the bottom for Navigation, Phone, Music, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, have you found a fix or work-around? It's not a game breaker, but when I'm trying to show off the awesome new car to someone, it can be embarrassing to have to go through this procedure a few times to be able to show off the high-tech features.
Thanks for your advice and assistance!

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
This has happened to me twice. I think it may be related to how quickly I plug the phone in after starting the car. It seems like it happens if I plug my phone in immediately after starting the car, before the head unit can fully get up and running. Hasn't happened enough to be sure though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My best success rate is as follows

1 - Get in car (important step)
2 - Plug phone into USB
3 - Insert key (does not apply to models with keyless start)
4 - Start car, do not pause in Accessory position

50% connects right up, 50% need to unplug & replug USB one time. Well sometimes it just doesn't connect and I give up and drive away.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
A few things to try playing with: bluetooth on/off, usb debugging on/off, usb connection mode mtp/other. Android auto has a developer mode option, but I have no idea whether it would be useful. There may be timing issues, so how many contacts and how much music you have on your phone may also impact connection.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
363 Posts
In the FWIW category, I'm having somewhat similar experience with AA connecting in my new Grand Cherokee. Does anybody think cable selection matters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Android Auto

I love my 2018 Outback also but am having connectivity issues with Android Auto.
Yes, a delay getting it connect. Sometimes need to unplug/replug.
But in addition, once it is working, it oftengoes off/disconnects. I lose my onscreen navigation completely, which is dangerous because then I am trying to reengage it while I am driving!
Does anyone have a solution for this?
Subaru dealer has offered to replace it, but I don't want to do that if there is an easier solution.
Car salesman said the Outback system works better with i phones than androids.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so far, my AA is running well on my Outback Premium (stock firmware).

Android OS 7.0
Latest AA update..

Here are my procedures.

1. Turn on Phone's GPS/Location Setting.
2. Start the car.
3. Plug in cable. Phone should display pop-up prompt saying allowing head unit to access phone data or charge only. Click "access phone data"
4. The AA on head unit is detected and ready to fire up.
5. Run AA on head unit. the phone screen should be replaced by Android Auto screen.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
For me, the biggest problem is with the micro-usb connection to the phone. Really sensitive (and the previous cable I used was hopeless - kept disconnecting, wouldn't connect, etc.) and prone to disconnecting if I move the phone around. Wireless AA would be really nice; USB-C is probably the next best option (but still means getting a new phone).

So the cable matters, and the fit of the micro-usb connection really matters (probably more than the cable itself).

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
We've had some similar problems with Apple Play and found that replacing the cable with something higher grade really made a big difference.

On a side note, it's interesting to see 3 different signatures in this thread with MPG around 27 or above. Wonder what's wrong with ours, haven't cracked 25 since October.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,111 Posts
... it's interesting to see 3 different signatures in this thread with MPG around 27 or above. Wonder what's wrong with ours, haven't cracked 25 since October.
Winter driving will do that. Also consider that the brake pedal probably has the biggest effect on fuel economy of any control in the vehicle, closely followed by the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
148 Posts
I had some issues with AA in the beginning with my 19 OB Limited but for the most part it has been working fine. I have AA on the phone set to automatically connect when it detects car Bluetooth and have the car set as a trusted source so I dont have to unlock phone. I use the charging cable that came with the phone to plug into the USB and just leave it plugged in permanently, have a second cable at home. I also have the cable long enough that when I plug the phone in I can stand the phone up against the side wall of the center counsel floor hump and it is held up by the floor mat so the phone does not slide around. I have noticed some issues where the voice changes from google synthesis to I think it is a Samsung computerized voice synthesis but I think it does this when the phone looses 4g LTE signal momentarily. One of the biggest complaints I have with AA is that when you are on a phone call all the voice prompts stop and if you are not paying attention to the screen you will miss your turn......if I use my phone with AA on the device I can get navigation voice prompts in the background during a call. they should at least provide some type of "bell" to alert you of a turn if nothing else.... The other thing I have learned is that I have to turn off my plantronics Bluetooth ear piece when I connect to android auto or the system gets confused being connected to 2 Bluetooth devices and the voice guidance will now pause the radio and come out of the door speakers instead of the dash speakers. so I turn off my Bluetooth headset when I enter the car. I have also gone into developer mode in AA on the phone and checked the box to let my device determine when night mode starts instead of using the HU settings. All in all I like the AA in the 18, I use it all the time just for the traffic alerts and responding to text messages. Also have an issue with volume levels for vocie guidance. When first starting navigation volume level comes out at 10 to 12 and I have to immediately turn in down. I have tried going into the sound settings on the HU and on the phone to see if I can adjust it down so it comes out at maybe a 6 or 7. But each time I start the car and connect the phone android auto volume is right back to 10-12, very annoying that the levels are not saved or at least I cant find a way to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts