Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Thanks to chvvkumar we have the right link in post #5.

This is my first post here and really appreciate all the knowledge and insight this forum has to offer. I don't understand why Subaru isn't working on AA full screen since Apple Car Play had it a while ago but if they hear from us enough then maybe it will happen. I emailed SOA a few days ago about when an update will allow AA to utilize portrait or fullscreen mode and received this response:

Thank you for contacting Subaru.

We appreciate you taking the time to email us. I hope that overall you are pleased with your 2020 Outback. I will pass on your feedback to Product Development to consider when developing future models. I do not have any information on a possible update to the software. I will tell you that past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models.

Subaru believes the most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners. If you need any more information, please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Kelly Shinault
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department

Here is a link to email Kelly your requests for change:

[email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
It’s up to Google to update Android Auto. Or whatever manufacturer which produced your phone. Subaru simply provided them a canvas on which to display their interface. When CarPlay went full screen it was because there was little coordination with Apple prior to release. Apple wasn’t made aware of how big the Outback screen was going to be or how much of it would be allocated to CarPlay. I think there is already another thread started on this on here somewhere.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
Yeah getting that update to allow portrait CarPlay on this car was huge. It sucked in that little landscape window before on such a big screen. Hopefully AA can get this at some point because I know how poorly CarPlay worked in that little window before.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,951 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Wonder why folks keep thinking this is a Subaru problem.

Reactions: 97whiteOB

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, my bad. Why didn't the representative from Subaru say it wasn't on their end then?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Ltd XT
9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
692 Posts
Yea, SoA replied about addressing later models. Don't think they were understanding the issue which is addressing a current model.
"... pass on your feedback to Product Development to consider when developing future models."

I do not believe this full screen issue belongs only to Android. Where is the data that supports these statements?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wonder why folks keep thinking this is a Subaru problem.
It is a little frustrating to see so many duplicative posts which have already been addressed on the forums. I’m glad they found the forum - it’s a wealth of knowledge and experience - but the other half of that coin is exploring the knowledge.
I too wish they weren’t so quick to blame Subaru.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea, SoA replied about addressing later models. Don't think they were understanding the issue which is addressing a current model.
"... pass on your feedback to Product Development to consider when developing future models."

I do not believe this full screen issue belongs only to Android. Where is the data that supports these statements?
Why would SoA decide to update CarPlay and not Android Auto?
They would have updated both concurrently if they could have.
Apple had to issue an update to iOS (after SoA issued the update to allow more room) to get it to take advantage of the screen. It was “baked into” one of their iOS updates mentioning “and other miscellaneous bug fixes”. Before the 2020 Outback, CarPlay screens were all very baised towards a landscape orientation. Since SoA didn’t coordinate with Apple, Apple had no way to know a screen layout like this would be available. iOS would not have been able to dynamically scale itself to fit the screen.

Additionally, you may have to wait even longer if your Android is not a Pixel version. If it was made by Samsung for example, you must wait for Samsung to push out their modified version of the OS before your device gets the update. That release may coincide with an unmodified Google Android update and it may not.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Subaru doesn't make the head unit nor does Subaru write the software - Denso makes it. Also, my guess is that Subaru of America specifically has nothing to do with it - it's Subaru Japan that contracted with Denso.

Both the Denso head unit software AND Google's Android Auto software need to work together to support certain screen formats.

Google alone cannot make this happen because Google cannot push elements off the Denso head unit screen to force full screen portrait Android Auto. In logic this is an AND gate. Both conditions must be true for us to have full screen/portrait Android Auto on the Denso Harmony Core head unit. Denso needs to make room for the larger Android Auto and Android Auto needs the capability to fill it.

Subaru can request/demand that Denso work with Google to make this happen, but Subaru cannot make it happen by itself.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
325 Posts
I up voted as well, having full screen AA would be a great update!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts