Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OBW 2.5 XS CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I geuss I'm one of many who want to upgrade the old touchscreen system at my outback Gen 4 (mine is 2011) with an Android auto new system. there are planty of advantages...

need your recommendations for a good inexpensive one. but before, here are the things we all need to understand:

1. it has to work well with the back up camera. I read its
's a 6 volt one(?) will it work with the 12 volt system?
2. has to work with the stearing wheel buttons off cours...
3. will i have to connect my phone with a cable? or is it automaticly connected via bluetooth?
4. in order to fit, will i need to buy Double DIN Stereo Dash Kit as well?
5. has to be fast response, not a lazy one :)

any one has an experience with a good buy?

·
Registered
196 Posts
i have an older pioneer unit and have been looking to upgrade as well.

If you have the factory touch screen navigation, I think you have a harder road to go down.

1. I don't see anyone who makes a radio dash kit for a nav equipped outback. You will need to purchase form what i can tell at a minimum the center stack surround, and the storage cubby that fits below it. It may be easier to just pull all the center dash from a salvage yard.

2. Once you have that, you can start to install a new headunit using a aftermarket dash cap

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
397 Posts
can you answer those questions:
1. do you have Nav built in?
2. do you plan to keep Nav built in?
3. what functionality do you expect from Android new system?

I replaced original audio with Pioneer 8500 in the 1st week after I got my OB that, yes I integrated with the steering wheel buttons ($60), install backup camera ($25), HDML-MHL adapter ($35), and some extra micro bypass ($xx)
so, my Samsung S5 provides all apps I need for Nav (waze, maps, etc), and other things, Pioneer provides touch screen and display and audio amp and SD and HD Radio and DVD

as of today I'd go with 10"+ Android Pad with integration to st wheel buttons and amplifier ; that way I can tether via my phone for data - this way I can replace touchpad any time I like

·
Registered
2011 OBW 2.5 XS CVT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I see a Nav botton (look at the picture). does having this botton means it has a Nav unit instaled? i dont realy want it, and i know it dos'nt work anyway. maybe it did once, no idea, I cant locate the first owner. why cant i just pull the CD+NAV units away and put a double din?

And mikek753- how can you put a 10"? isn't the space good only for 7"?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
45 Posts
well, I see a Nav botton (look at the picture). does having this botton means it has a Nav unit instaled? i dont realy want it, and i know it dos'nt work anyway. maybe it did once, no idea, I cant locate the first owner. why cant i just pull the CD+NAV units away and put a double din?

The navigation system I have seen look like this: https://goo.gl/images/qw6nvf which makes it more difficult because the whole center console is different. Your setup looks fine. I put a Pioneer NEX 4100 in a couple years ago and I really like it. If I was doing it right now I would get a Kenwood ddx9905s because it is newer, has a much better and higher resolution screen, and has wireless Android Auto. I am not sure where you are located but I ordered mine from Crutchfield along with all of the needed accessories like the trim panel, wiring adapters and steering control adapter. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
397 Posts

yes, in your case 2din will work, but the best you can get 7" touchscreen that I have in 8500 and it's:
0. looks like factory
1. small
2. resistive
3. hard to see at day sunlight

the 10" touchpad would be overlay on top instead of built in and with 1080P or higher - check for Tesla 3
another example for 7" tablet

it depends on what you really want from replacement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts