Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background:
Crankshaft is an open source project based on OpenAuto which makes it possible to easily install, setup, and run Android Auto on a Raspberry Pi. Paired with a touchscreen this makes for a cheap way to install Android Auto in cars that weren't available with it. This post isn't meant to serve as a complete guide, as there are already a ton of resources out there for how to set up a system like this. Instead I'm going to provide some details on my setup and how I made it work specifically in my 3rd gen. Here are some links to some of the guides I used:
Setup/Config Specific to 3rd gen OB:
Power:
I found the wiring harness for the clock to be the best place to get power, it's right there and it's fused with enough overhead to support the RPi, screen, and phone charging. It also has some other fun pins that could be useful for a more complex setup that I wish I had the time/motivation to implement. Here's a pinout diagram for the clock connector I found on the legacyGT forums.
Prosport Halo electric boost gauge cubby install - Subaru Legacy ...

There are a lot of options when it comes to how to power/boot up/shut down the Raspberry Pi. You could just connect the whole system to the ignition pin on the clock connector, but you run the risk of corrupting the raspberry pi's storage if you pull it's power before it has had time to shut donn. I went with the next simplest setup, which is to connect the 12V side of the 12 to 5V step down to a switch and manually power on/off the setup when I want to use it. This is nice because of it's simplicity, but means I have to remember to power on/off every time I want to use it which is kind of a pain. Leaving it on and shutting off just the raspberry pi isn't an option because the latent draw of the 12 to 5V step down is enough to drain your battery after a day of sitting (ask my how I know). I routed the switch (and the USB connector) down past the radio and out in the drivers foot well. EDIT (6/16/20): An updated schematic & description is below. Here's a visual of my setup:

A better way to set it up, which I might do for an upcoming road trip, would be to use a combination of the constant 12V and the ignition signal wire to gracefully boot up/power down the raspberry pi without cutting power. This would require a combination of relays, potentially timers, and to leverage the GPIO on the raspberry pi to send a power down command. Fortunately this is something that's supported by crankshaft and easily setup in software (see the CS Env section of this page). Another cool thing to do would be to send pin 1 of the clock connector, which is the one that sends the dashboard illumination signal, into a GPIO and configure it to change Crankshaft from day to night mode. I leave my headlights on all the time, but this would be an easy way to make the screen's brightness and Android Auto's color scheme match with the rest of the dashboard.

Audio:
Audio is a little complicated because Android Auto assumes it's integrated with the head unit of the car and wants to take all the audio signals from the phone, which may or may not be what you want depending on your setup. I already had a bluetooth aux setup so I chose to pipe audio through the phone instead of through the raspberry pi, although with a sound card you could integrate that as well. Configuration details are on the crankshaft wiki here.

Hardware mounting:
Once the cubby is removed from the cubby/vent assembly, the official raspberry pi touchscreen fits nicely in the space where the cubby used to be, and provides a mounting point for Rapsberry Pi as well. I used some custom 3D printed hooks to hold the display in place (I'll share the file if people want it). The cubby/vent/clock assembly snaps in and out pretty easily, but the dashboard is surprisingly easy to damage so be careful.
The 2nd pic is the back of the display with the Raspberry Pi mounted with some wiring. Wago wire nuts are awesome for prototyping. The board with the blue connectors on top of the RPi is a board with screw terminals for some of the GPIO which makes it much easier/more secure when wiring things up. I think it's called an EZ connect board or something along those lines. In the first pic you can see the final setup with the red clips (one of which actually started to melt in the summer heat). I'll need to figure out a better mounting solution at some point.

Future work:
My first next step for this project is going to be figuring out how to power up/down the setup with the ignition so I don't have to worry about manually powering up and down every time I want to use it. I might update here once I come up with a good solution for this. I'd also need to find a good spot to mount switches to kill power to the system if I want, and for other features like switching between day/night, skipping songs, switching apps, etc. There's a lot of functionality you can bind to GPIO/keyboard inputs which I'd like to explore more. My biggest obstacle right now is honestly figuring out where to mount switches/buttons. I can't find an easy obvious place to mount them, looking for suggestions on this. Another wish list item is to use a webcam to integrate a backup camera. The software is all setup for something like this, I just need to find a good webcam position and an easy way to run wires, anyone know if it's possible to run wires through the headliner and down the A pillar? Also is there an easier place to find a reverse signal then tapping into the reverse lights all the way in the back of the car?

I think that's it, I'll be monitoring this thread to answer questions/add things I'm missing. This was an awesome addition and made navigation/media so much easier in my car, plus it really impresses people to see the newer tech in the older car.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
626 Posts
This is very cool. So you use your stock audio via bluetooth and an FM transmitter or have you rigged some hardwired setup? I have that same audio/HVAC interconnected mess, and HATE it more than life itself. I'd prefer better audio, but sinking that kind of $ and time into it is not in my plans for a car that may not be around 2 years from now. I can't believe I'm just learning of CrankShaft and OpenAuto now. I am usually so on top of this kinda stuff! Great project.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very cool. So you use your stock audio via bluetooth and an FM transmitter or have you rigged some hardwired setup? I have that same audio/HVAC interconnected mess, and HATE it more than life itself. I'd prefer better audio, but sinking that kind of $ and time into it is not in my plans for a car that may not be around 2 years from now. I can't believe I'm just learning of CrankShaft and OpenAuto now. I am usually so on top of this kinda stuff! Great project.
Yea I have a FM transmitter setup. I looked into various options for a while and was reluctant to do FM transmitting because I thought the quality would be crap. Then I learned about the FM transmitters that connect in line with your antenna cable and I installed one and have been happy ever since (This is the one I bought, but not for $50, i found it cheaper somewhere else). I don't use the aux connection (I have it tucked away), just the Bluetooth connection from this bluetooth receiver. The quality is pretty great, especially if you don't max out the volume going into the FM transmitter. The bluetooth connects within seconds of powering up, then when I connect to the Raspberry Pi the media audio still goes through the bluetooth.

One thing to note however is that you'll need an adapter to go from the standard antenna connector to the Subaru one. I actually have an extra adapter I pulled out of a junkyard. If anyone reading this thread wants it and is willing to wait until august when I'm back home I'd be happy to send it out for the price of postage.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Yea I have a FM transmitter setup. I looked into various options for a while and was reluctant to do FM transmitting because I thought the quality would be crap. Then I learned about the FM transmitters that connect in line with your antenna cable and I installed one and have been happy ever since (This is the one I bought, but not for $50, i found it cheaper somewhere else). I don't use the aux connection (I have it tucked away), just the Bluetooth connection from this bluetooth receiver. The quality is pretty great, especially if you don't max out the volume going into the FM transmitter. The bluetooth connects within seconds of powering up, then when I connect to the Raspberry Pi the media audio still goes through the bluetooth.

One thing to note however is that you'll need an adapter to go from the standard antenna connector to the Subaru one. I actually have an extra adapter I pulled out of a junkyard. If anyone reading this thread wants it and is willing to wait until august when I'm back home I'd be happy to send it out for the price of postage.
Another thing learned today! FM transmitter inline with antenna! The antenna in mine sucks anyway! I'd just as soon use phone data and omit it all together! I'm sure there's an antenna adapter on Amazon, eBay or even AliExpress. I have a few rca to mini phono adapters lying around!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one you shared has BT built-in it looks?
Yes, my mistake, that was just a quick search. The version I got is the same thing without the bluetooth which is why I had to get my own bluetooth module.

Here are some additional pictures of the wiring:

Closeup on the 3D printed mounts that hold the screen in place. The numbers are just the revision number, these shapes could definitely be modified to be better, this 3D printed model is based on a piece I made by cutting plastic with a dremel.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Yes, my mistake, that was just a quick search. The version I got is the same thing without the bluetooth which is why I had to get my own bluetooth module.

Here are some additional pictures of the wiring:
View attachment 486210

Closeup on the 3D printed mounts that hold the screen in place. The numbers are just the revision number, these shapes could definitely be modified to be better, this 3D printed model is based on a piece I made by cutting plastic with a dremel.
View attachment 486211
Thanks so much, that's fantastic stuff. Now that I've finally did my own speak plugs, I think I can handle this!

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
527 Posts
Great work! I love my Pi, i use it to watch all my TV shows. it also is my media player in the house that has about 100 gigs of music that is broadcast over a digital FM broadcaster to any radio in the house

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I solved the turning on/off with ignition problem. I used this timer and programmed it to kill power to the 12 to 5v step down shortly after the Raspberry Pi shuts down. The sequence of events is below:

1. Ignition turns off, triggering the shutdown timer on the RPi & timer
  2. At 20 seconds, the RPi initiates it's shutdown sequence
  3. At ~25 seconds the timer kills power to the the 12 to 5V stepdown and goes into low power mode
Notes: The relay shown below pulls the GPIO pin high or low depending on the ignition signal. The GPIO tells the arduino to start the countdown timer. If the ignition turns back on before the shutdown timer on the RPi ends it stops and resets it. The timer config I used was #12 (Delay Off) and trigger setting 5. I just realized triggers setting 5 doesn't allow for low power mode to activate but when I get the chance I'll change to trigger setting 2 which should still operate and will allow the timer to enter low power mode and consume negligible current.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
What do you mean the other way? That you have a replacement head unit installed? How do you have that wired up with the stock unit?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Is there an antenna adapter y'all recommend? I don't know what to look for. I searched for subaru antenna adapter and got a bunch of Nissan results! Amazon? EBay? AliExpress?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto Transmission, 270k+
304 Posts
Is there an antenna adapter y'all recommend? I don't know what to look for. I searched for subaru antenna adapter and got a bunch of Nissan results! Amazon? EBay? AliExpress?
I did a search for "Subaru antenna adapter" and these came right up...

Metra 40-SB10-18 Antenna Adapter Works with select 2006-up Subaru vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-SB10-2005-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B000K53QAQ

(Although, it did help that I knew which ones I was looking for!)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Thanks so much. I wound up getting these so I can delete my window antenna and add a standard style antenna, and add the inline FM transmitter.

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R, '91 Justy, '93 Loyale, '15 Crosstrek, '04STi (RIP)
31 Posts
Another option instead of the antenna kit is the Jazzy Engineering CD changer line tap in kit.
It works great, I have mine ran to a bluetooth adapter in the center console. I also ran a USB charging cable from the center console to the cubby and added a magnet mount for my phone.
This way I can use Android Auto on the phone itself, it opens automatically when connected to the bluetooth adapter.
An added bonus of the CD Line in kit is if you happen to be listening to FM radio while using phone bluetooth the bluetooth sound well still play (for navigation etc).

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I looked at that, and I just want to do either the bare minimum, or rip that whole HU out of the dash. I think the antenna kits is my best option as I'm not into taking the dash apart any more. Just gotta find where the antenna wires are and how/were to splice in the standard antenna adapter. Any ideas where it is and a good way to get to it?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,090 Posts
I looked at that, and I just want to do either the bare minimum, or rip that whole HU out of the dash. I think the antenna kits is my best option as I'm not into taking the dash apart any more. Just gotta find where the antenna wires are and how/were to splice in the standard antenna adapter. Any ideas where it is and a good way to get to it?
The antenna plugs directly into the back of the HU, be careful removing it, i have heard the plastic clip can break. I didn't have any problems with mine, plus the double din kit came with a new adapter.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another option instead of the antenna kit is the Jazzy Engineering CD changer line tap in kit.
It works great, I have mine ran to a bluetooth adapter in the center console. I also ran a USB charging cable from the center console to the cubby and added a magnet mount for my phone.
I was looking at the Jazzy Engineering kit as an option, and even purchased on on the site, but got no response and after a month of waiting I filed a claim and got my money back from PayPal. Also recently the CD player function has stopped working altogether so I guess it's a good thing I didn't go that route.

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R, '91 Justy, '93 Loyale, '15 Crosstrek, '04STi (RIP)
31 Posts
I was looking at the Jazzy Engineering kit as an option, and even purchased on on the site, but got no response and after a month of waiting I filed a claim and got my money back from PayPal. Also recently the CD player function has stopped working altogether so I guess it's a good thing I didn't go that route.
It did take a couple of weeks for him to ship my order. This was a couple of years ago though.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
The antenna plugs directly into the back of the HU, be careful removing it, i have heard the plastic clip can break. I didn't have any problems with mine, plus the double din kit came with a new adapter.
Can I get to the antenna plug easily enough? How much disassembly is required? Any one have pics from an earlier job? Thanks for all the info, and help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts