Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2018 Subaru outback last week and both apple car play and andoid auto worked fine. This weekend my Google Pixel 2 updated to the Android 9 Pie and now when the phone is plugged in to the car, the car doesn't launch Android auto, although the app on the phone does. Apple car play still works. We've tried multiple USB cables with no luck. The car is recognizing that the phone is plugged in, as it shows the USB connection and charges the phone. It also connects via Bluetooth to the car. I've tried uninstalling the app and forgetting all cars, then reinstalling it to try to start over like when we first got the car, but while Android auto launches on the phone, it will not launch on the car.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
I bought my 2018 Subaru outback last week and both apple car play and andoid auto worked fine. This weekend my Google Pixel 2 updated to the Android 9 Pie and now when the phone is plugged in to the car, the car doesn't launch Android auto, although the app on the phone does. Apple car play still works. We've tried multiple USB cables with no luck. The car is recognizing that the phone is plugged in, as it shows the USB connection and charges the phone. It also connects via Bluetooth to the car. I've tried uninstalling the app and forgetting all cars, then reinstalling it to try to start over like when we first got the car, but while Android auto launches on the phone, it will not launch on the car.
My gen 1 Pixel is updated with Android Pie. I'll go test it in a little bit and report back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay, my Pixel with Android Pie works just fine with Android Auto. I did notice that the order of phone preferences had changed so that my wife's was listed first, but everything else was fine. I didn't have to re-pair the BT connection or anything after the upgrade. So maybe it is a Pixel2 issue. Sorry I couldn't help, but at least you know it could work.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
Welp there it is. After one update the head unit is officially outdated. And for some reason manufacturers don't want OTA, and any updates that are applicable then you must go to the dealer to perform in lieu of the warranty. This may well be a bug in the update and we can only hope so. However just know that similarly in the previous head unit, each update to our cellular phones is only going to break it further.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welp there it is. After one update the head unit is officially outdated. And for some reason manufacturers don't want OTA, and any updates that are applicable then you must go to the dealer to perform in lieu of the warranty. This may well be a bug in the update and we can only hope so. However just know that similarly in the previous head unit, each update to our cellular phones is only going to break it further.
You are bit pessimistic. One person had a problem and one (me) it worked fine. A bit early to declare doom and gloom I think. Give it some time and see if others have a problem.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
You are bit pessimistic. One person had a problem and one (me) it worked fine. A bit early to declare doom and gloom I think. Give it some time and see if others have a problem.
Mhhh, I thought I was being a bit realistic. All of the points I made where factual and real. Not only that, but the Fujitsu headunits that Subaru uses are from a third party that also shares data with Toyota and to a degree Lexus. Having experienced their head units, not to mention the previous Outback head unit, I can tall you that Subaru leaves the HU on the bottom of their totem pole. the 2015-2017 headunits are still riddled with problems, and they have not updated the software for usability or QOL improvements besides maybe adding a Nav Guidance Mute option.
Not necessarily due to their R&D, but perhaps because of the aforementioned fact that the software and hardware isn't made by Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is Bluetooth turned on when you're first plugging your phone in? Mine will crash constantly if Bluetooth is on, with Bluetooth off it works fine. Seems like with certain android phones/versions BT and android auto fight for control and crash android auto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts